St Mirren V Livingston Championship 29/8/15

shull

McMullan's goal came from being in the middle of the park and running straight through their defence. It is in the middle he can cause most damage.

I would like to see him play just behind Shankland and Gallacher in the position of McGowan/McLean. We do not need dedicated wingers if Thommo is not playing so use a diamond in midfiled with Shankland and Gallagher providing forward movement allowing the likes of McMullan and Mallan to support them and run beyond them. Keep the ball on the deck and forget the long ball game. But we also need another experienced midfielder to complete the midfield.

I think timing was everything there, he got the ball close to the box and got in quick which meant there was far less chance of a defender sweeping him away for fear of giving a penalty. In this division, big slow defenders could give away a penalty a week against him.

i would sit McMullan there, with Gow just behind in a midfield 5, meaning 2 up front and a back 3

Goodwin is OK when challenging and definitely offers some drive, but he is hellish on the ball and is static. He gets in a zone and sits to see if the play comes to him, he hasn't enough pace to chase attackers into the arms of the defence or out wide as you need in that role

I think timing was everything there, he got the ball close to the box and got in quick which meant there was far less chance of a defender sweeping him away for fear of giving a penalty. In this division, big slow defenders could give away a penalty a week against him.

i would sit McMullan there, with Gow just behind in a midfield 5, meaning 2 up front and a back 3

Goodwin is OK when challenging and definitely offers some drive, but he is hellish on the ball and is static. He gets in a zone and sits to see if the play comes to him, he hasn't enough pace to chase attackers into the arms of the defence or out wide as you need in that role

I agree with a lot of this, but maybe Gow would be better suited sitting just behind

the dug out...

Murray needs to make his mind up what his best XI is and stick to it. It looks to me that he's over thinking things and worrying far too much about how the opposition set up. That approach might be prudent against the blue bigots and possibly Hibs, but for the rest of the league we should be setting up our stall and saying to the opposition that this is the way we're going to play so deal with it.

I appreciate that Watson's and Carswell's injuries may have prevented him from doing so yesterday, but the absence of these two players shouldn't have had such a detrimental effect on his plan B.

One of the (many) things that was particularly frustrating yesterday, was the number of times we got to the edge of their box and instead of having an effort on goal, we fannied about trying flicks and delicate little tippy tappy passes, which fizzled out into nothing.

Have a fecking shot! We've got two penalty box poachers in Shankland and Gallagher who could feed off the scraps of rebounds from attempted blocks or 'keepers saves.

My brother who was at the game, Goodwin is a spent force and a liability, ive saw crap like Alec Bone and Bobby Dawson but he is now just getting embarrassing, so sloppy and slow. Also hear Webster failed a medical at Killie !![/quote

So you were not at game your brother obviously needs glasses. Jim was solid yesterday and the manager was booed when he took him off. If you are not at game don't comment. ]

So you were not at game your brother obviously needs glasses. Jim was solid yesterday and the manager was booed when he took him off. If you are not at game don't comment. ]

Solid ? He was f**king hopeless mate, it really is so embarrassing watching him lunging into challenges in ultra slow motion, an absoloute liability

What about Webster ushering ball out for a goal kick in front of South stand then falling over and trying to claim a foul and Livi nearly scored ?

For someone that started a thread last week saying he won't be back you seem to know a lot of what went on?

Murray needs to make his mind up what his best XI is and stick to it. It looks to me that he's over thinking things and worrying far too much about how the opposition set up. That approach might be prudent against the blue bigots and possibly Hibs, but for the rest of the league we should be setting up our stall and saying to the opposition that this is the way we're going to play so deal with it.

I appreciate that Watson's and Carswell's injuries may have prevented him from doing so yesterday, but the absence of these two players shouldn't have had such a detrimental effect on his plan B.

One of the (many) things that was particularly frustrating yesterday, was the number of times we got to the edge of their box and instead of having an effort on goal, we fannied about trying flicks and delicate little tippy tappy passes, which fizzled out into nothing.

Have a fecking shot! We've got two penalty box poachers in Shankland and Gallagher who could feed off the scraps of rebounds from attempted blocks or 'keepers saves.

Yup, pretty much spot on. Mentioned elsewhere but Murray did have a degree of criticism levelled at him at Dumbarton . bascially over cautious, showed too much respect to opposition. I think and I'm sure he knows this, but frankly we should big oursleves up first and foremost, its about what we do, not stand back, deliberately or by by passive default and look to the alleged strengths of our opposition. Murray is young and learning, granted, re building , yes, but needs a couple of results to assist his plans.

He is in danger of getting isolated, of being remembered waving a plan in his hand and no one being there to support or believe in it.

4-2-3-1 is the modern way...

The majority of Premiership teams used it at the weekend.

That would suggest that Murray is up to date with modern coaching tactics and that has to be encouraging.

However... teams like Dundee Utd use it and are walked over.

So were we.

The biggest encouragement for me will be to see Murray recognise when things are not working and switch to a plan b early in a game... not with 20 minutes left.

4-2-3-1 can be a pretty attacking system. But not when you sit deep and stand off the opposition. The 3 behind the striker need to have freedom to attack, interchange positions, and get beyond the front man. Look at Scotland's recent performances of how it can be used effectively. We just haven't been using it right.

4-2-3-1 can be a pretty attacking system. But not when you sit deep and stand off the opposition. The 3 behind the striker need to have freedom to attack, interchange positions, and get beyond the front man. Look at Scotland's recent performances of how it can be used effectively. We just haven't been using it right.

Agreed.

The penalty incident happened close to where I was in the main stand. Hard to say if Baird got anything on the ball but he definitely made hefty contact with their no.11 in a clumsy challenge. Immediately prior to that everyone was shouting for a St Mirren free kick as Goodwin appeared to receive an elbow to the face but shrugged it off, and the ball dropped and Baird put in his challenge. Where we were we thought it was a soft penalty and the Livi player made the most of it, he probably received treatment in the box and at the side of the pitch for 2 or 3 minutes and then ran around freely until he ran into McMullan and a similar scenario of appearing dead played itself out for a second time.

As for Goodwin being finished, if that is the case why was he streets ahead of someone younger like Agnew and ten times more effective. Their no.11 was skinning everyone in a black and white shirt for pace and not just Goodwin. What was noticeable is that Goodwin was one of the few St Mirren players prepared to try and close him down and get a tackle in despite being beaten for pace while most other players sat back and watched him ghost past us.