Murray's Meltdown!

I take it the ignore option doesn't work on the mobile app?

Thought I'd take out "throbber" in case folk were confused as to who I meant. Don't think I needed to worry though.

Edited by Stu

Lets talk tactical naivety at its extreme...

Watson get thumped by Clangers, is in obvious difficulty but a few minutes to half time... So a chance to assess and make decisions...

Goodwin gets a yellow fir nothing, and Livi are putting it about with a few meaty tackles.....

What would you do in this scenario as manager..?

A: wait the minute or so to half time, assess the injury, impress on Goodwin you need him in this match more than anyone else to give us some dig?

B: Leave your side with little chance of physically/Tactically/Mentally competing in this match by taking off one of the two experienced defenders/midfielders you have when its obviously the type of game you need his fight in, knowing you have an injury to the other experienced player, and its ONE minute to half time, where you subsequently lose the other experienced player to his injury...?

Is that naive enough for everyone?

Does the phrase no-brainer spring to mind?

We have an ideal opportunity to win the game on Saturday but we need to show a lot better than that. We need to show a lot more tactical know-how. Even though we have a lot of young players in our squad, we need to toughen up quick.

Erm, yeah Ian - any one of the idiots on the forum could have posted waffle of this quality, indeed many of us have. You're being paid to manage the club because, presumably, you know more than us - time to start showing this!

Lets talk tactical naivety at its extreme...

Watson get thumped by Clangers, is in obvious difficulty but a few minutes to half time... So a chance to assess and make decisions...

Goodwin gets a yellow fir nothing, and Livi are putting it about with a few meaty tackles.....

What would you do in this scenario as manager..?

A: wait the minute or so to half time, assess the injury, impress on Goodwin you need him in this match more than anyone else to give us some dig?

B: Leave your side with little chance of physically/Tactically/Mentally competing in this match by taking off one of the two experienced defenders/midfielders you have when its obviously the type of game you need his fight in, knowing you have an injury to the other experienced player, and its ONE minute to half time, where you subsequently lose the other experienced player to his injury...?

Is that naive enough for everyone?

Does the phrase no-brainer spring to mind?

With your unrivaled qualifications and deep practical knowledge of how to manage a senior football club in St Mirren's situation, why don't you offer your services to the club you support?

You would be an overnight success in the mould of Sir Alec - especially with your constructive and positive attitude.

One of the issues for me is that the side is being chopped and changed from game to game.

Now I know we've had a few midweek games, etc, but as its essentially a new team, I'd have thought it would be an idea to keep a settled side to get some consistency.

Last time we won promotion, the same side, more or less, was used in every game, regardless of competition. Yes, one or two changes depending on circumstances. But Murray is making big changes in every game.

It was 5 in midfield against Rangers. 2 wingers and a no. 10 against Dumbarton. Big changes against Annan. Back to 5 in midfield against Morton, this time with 2 defensive midfielders. 2 up front last night.

How are we going to get consistent performances if the personnel and tactics ate being changed to such an extent on a game by game basis?

Dare I say it... its almost as Murray is making it up as he goes along... And doesn't actually know what he is doing

Edited by nosferatu

With your unrivaled qualifications and deep practical knowledge of how to manage a senior football club in St Mirren's situation, why don't you offer your services to the club you support?

You would be an overnight success in the mould of Sir Alec - especially with your constructive and positive attitude.

Having never managed a football club I can honestly say i would not have pulled Goodwin a minute to half time anyway, knowing I had an injury to my other experienced pro would have consolidated my decision to get them in assess, talk to Goodwin and re-group.

Murray surrendered before half time, he just doesn't have it when it comes to managing a full time club, with all that involves.

Dies anyone think his decisions were right?

Having never managed a football club I can honestly say i would not have pulled Goodwin a minute to half time anyway, knowing I had an injury to my other experienced pro would have consolidated my decision to get them in assess, talk to Goodwin and re-group.

Murray surrendered before half time, he just doesn't have it when it comes to managing a full time club, with all that involves.

Irrespective of whether Goodwin's yellow was deserved or not he had given the referee three other decisions to make, the next one he was off........where was the guarantee that he'd have got to half-time. If he hadn't you'd be the very fella to being screaming that he should have made the substitution because of the likelihood of a sending off.

I believe it was right to pull Goodwin when he did. With the hysterics from livi at every foul and given at least 2 silly fouls post booking it was only going to end one way if he stayed on.

How many times under lennon/craig did we all see a Goodwin red coming yet he was kept on. It was coming last night too and it was right to withdraw.

But you do - what are you waiting for?

I really find some posts incredibly naive ................... Goodwin was taken off by the manager for every good reason last night, otherwise the ref would have waved his red card at the next opportunity and believe me the next opportunity would have arrived pretty quickly.

I think they (Livi) were instructed last night to go out and really mix it. They succeeded and only late on did they have someone sent off.

If that is a sign of what Ian Murray believes is where we need to wise up, then he is bang on correct. You play the ref and you play the opposition and if they are being aggressive to the point of getting away with it Ian Murray has to find a leader on the park who will get his message across to the ref that football is the casualty if he lets that aggressive nature continue unchecked.

Murray was absolutely right to take Goodwin off, he needs him badly for the league and Jim would have missed at least the next two league games if he had been sent off. In my books that is positive management!

I don't have what it takes to be prime minister... but that doesn't stop me having an opinion on what he does and voting!

Do you think it's a good thing that people who are utterly pig ignorant about what a job entails end up being responsible for hiring for that position?

I don't have what it takes to be prime minister... but that doesn't stop me having an opinion on what he does and voting!

My suggestion was directed at Lord Look at Me because of his special insight on how to run a cash-strapped club like St Mirren.

We badly need someone with his positive and constructive approach to things in our present dire circumstances.

Do you think it's a good thing that people who are utterly pig ignorant about what a job entails end up being responsible for hiring for that position?

I'll give a simpler example... Just for you.

I don't have what it takes to boss of RBS, I am pig ignorant of what the job entails and I am not responsible for the hiring of said position.

But I am still allowed to voice an opinion that Fred Goodwin made an arse of the job!

Edited by nosferatu

My suggestion was directed at Lord Look at Me because of his special insight on how to run a cash-strapped club like St Mirren.

We badly need someone with his positive and constructive approach to things in our present dire circumstances.

He's just giving his opinion.

There isn't any need to get personal with fellow forumsters you disagree with.

Leave that to the likes of oaksoft.