Bye Bye Spalding?

McDowall was hardly a storming success as assistant (or manager) at Sevco! They were probably the worst performing team in Scotland in recent years given their budget.

Probably the usual made up pish from the Sun.

If the Alex Miller rumours are true then there you have someone who would command instant respect in the dressing room and possibly start to turn things around.

Miller is in!

That was fast, I only posted this 5 minutes ago!

So it's not Jack Ross then? Must have knocked us back last minute.....

It is difficult to imagine that Miller was Murray's choice. In which case, the BoD don't trust him to call this one. If this is the case, it speaks volumes. Edited by Drew

I think Murray has made enough choices tbf. About time it stopped being a 1 man show. Football is a team game and needs a team effort. Everyone being nice and saying yes to each other is not healthy for a football club.

Well done the board.

I agree with that up to a point, but we are still no clearer as to whether Miller has been brought to assist (in the formal, contractual sense of the word) or to effectively direct Murray.

Does this matter? Well, it might if it results in a lack of clarity in terms of the lines of command within the playing side of things at the club.

I'm actually warming to the idea of having a director of football type who oversees the on-pitch affairs. I didn't subscribe to this previously on account of Saints being a small club, and the need to avoid spurious posts that have to be financed. I can now see the argument for having more effective channels of accountability. With the best will in the world, our BoD are businessmen and supporters first. They could do with someone who can intervene with greater knowledge and expertise when things are going to f**k on the field of play.

Spalding was unfortunately bringing nothing to the table. I'm sure he was a nice guy but he wasn't respected by the players and while the players should still be able to perform on the park, inspiration from the pitch side is still important. I hope Miller helps Murray learn from the mistakes he's made and their partnership flourishes.

a lot of posters gave Spalding a lot of stick and it was clear he would be sacrifced first because this board is ridiculously reactionary. New face and new ideas in training will probaly be of some help though.

W still have a problem of under-achieving players that needs to be addressed in the next 8 weeks. Is there an obvious player-coach option out there?

Maybe not a player coach, but Miller will sort out the underperformers in jig time

should have happened months ago.

But how much input did Spalding have on strategy, tactics, substitutes etc. etc. All of which have been rank rotten and cumulatively the main reason for our abhorrent form. We have good players who have not been performing and for me the buck stops with Murray.

I am not suggesting sacking Murray. But this decision is inexplicable. What has Spalding done to deserve this?

Not sure we can say that the BOD acted quick - take a look at the results from the last 7 league games, or pretty much them all. e.g. MacNamara was punted months ago - Utd's directors acted quick!

The difference being McNamara wasn't a brand new manager.

I am not suggesting sacking Murray. But this decision is inexplicable. What has Spalding done to deserve this?

Being a complete waste of space. He was wandering around the pitch pre match on Saturday with hands in pockets looking utterly lost.