Bye Bye Spalding?

What a shambles!

Mark has been made a scapegoat for Ian Murray being utterly useless at his job. Murray is a fraud.

Could this be Jim Goodwin slowly returning to coaching role on at least a temporary basis or David Longwell from the U20's?

Ian Murray is not the answer with or without Spalding.

Our club really is in the mire.

What a shambles!

Mark has been made a scapegoat for Ian Murray being utterly useless at his job. Murray is a fraud.

Could this be Jim Goodwin slowly returning to coaching role on at least a temporary basis or David Longwell from the U20's?

Ian Murray is not the answer with or without Spalding.

Our club really is in the mire.

Are you saying he is an imposter ? Would that be grounds for "mutual consent". .

The difference in football is you need to be respected by the players or you've had it. Not too sure that the players would respect being told how to play and what they need to do to improve by someone that hasn't played professional football. Without the players respect the manager doesn't stand a chance.

surely that's where the management... and most importantly man management skills are most important.

John Collins has a playing career to impress no end... did him no good when he pissed off the players!

Players WILL play for the right manager if he knows how to get the best out of them.

By the looks of things Murray probably wanted Ross as number 2 during the summer but he wasn't free. Maybe there was an understanding that if Ross did become free then he would be made assistant. Spalding's body language on the pitch pre match on Saturdat was not that of a man happy with his lot, maybe he knew what was coming.

In the care sector... if you hung about long enough you ended up a manager.

A strange thing happened though...

They realised that the majority of services were being managed by people who couldn't manage! Good care workers with a wealth of experience... but poor managers.

Nowadays you need a knowledge of the job your workers do... and management qualifications.

Personally, I don't think it is important that a coach or manager has been a player of any regard at all... I'd much rather they could identify what was needed to improve things and have the skills to effectively manage that change.

I don't think qualifications are all that important BinEK. It might be what is sought in the care sector these days - I can't speak for that - but in football I don't think the same is true. We've seen plenty of managers fail in this country who came through every single Largs Coaching Course you could think of. No doubt they were clever people who could understand what they were being taught in order to pass the course, but I think where they often fall down is that they've not had the benefit of seeing a good manager in action.

If you look at Ian Murray he served as a player under McLeish, Sauzee, Williamson, McLeish again, then Le Guen, Peter Grant, Roeder, John Hughes and then Colin Calderwood. There are a hell of a lot of failures in that list. What management examples was he set up to follow?

I don't know if you watched the Class of 92 TV programme that was on last week but there is a reason why the likes of Giggs and the Nevilles are coaching at the highest level in the game these days, and why people like Bruce, Hughes, Strachan, McGhee and Solskjaer are in high profile jobs.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I don't think qualifications are all that important BinEK. It might be what is sought in the care sector these days - I can't speak for that - but in football I don't think the same is true. We've seen plenty of managers fail in this country who came through every single Largs Coaching Course you could think of. No doubt they were clever people who could understand what they were being taught in order to pass the course, but I think where they often fall down is that they've not had the benefit of seeing a good manager in action.

If you look at Ian Murray he served as a player under McLeish, Sauzee, Williamson, McLeish again, then Le Guen, Peter Grant, Roeder, John Hughes and then Colin Calderwood. There are a hell of a lot of failures in that list. What management examples was he set up to follow?

I don't know if you watched the Class of 92 TV programme that was on last week but there is a reason why the likes of Giggs and the Nevilles are coaching at the highest level in the game these days, and why people like Bruce, Hughes, Strachan, McGhee and Solskjaer are in high profile jobs.

Wish he'd hung around long enough to impact on Tony Fitz, Billy Stark, Frank McGarvey and Iain Munro. Maybe they just leaned the bad bits enough.

Could it be the case that we are intending to bring in a director of football? It has worked at Hearts with Levein and Neilson.

Maybe some of the bigger names could be tempted by that role.

Dunno but the wording of the statement is that Spalding going will allow 'changes to be made.'.

I don't think qualifications are all that important BinEK. It might be what is sought in the care sector these days - I can't speak for that - but in football I don't think the same is true.

I would personally take ability over qualifications any and every day of the week.

Abilities in management and in caring are a different set of skills... as are football management and playing football at a high level.

By the looks of things Murray probably wanted Ross as number 2 during the summer but he wasn't free. Maybe there was an understanding that if Ross did become free then he would be made assistant. Spalding's body language on the pitch pre match on Saturdat was not that of a man happy with his lot, maybe he knew what was coming.

If Murray holds any cards in the scenario that's playing out at the moment then I'd be very surprised.

Spalding was his guy. In the space of 12 months, Murray elevated him from being a coach at Stirling Uni to a first team coach at Dumbarton to an Assistant Manager with us.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the board maybe had misgivings about appointing Spalding but Murray persuaded them. Maybe Jack Ross will come in, but Murray won't be calling the shots this time.

Edited by Julian Banjos

I can understand why this decision has been made...desperation. I think the way Spalding has been treated is totally despicable and i lay the blame for the mess we're in more on Murray than Spalding. The only reason we're not looking for a new manager is money... Murray is the manager the buck stops with him and he's simply not delivered. The correct thing to do would be to bring in an experienced manager and appoint an inexperienced assistant, why would we do things the right way though...that would be too easy.