Greenock Morton v St Mirren Championship 1/11/16

shull

One match of a double header, the other they lost - Dundee Utd are currently second in the league and will finish above Morton.

If you go back to the thread for the first Saints vs Morton match you'll see I was one of those who was less gung-ho about the quality of our summer signings, having said that, 4 points from 10 games is undoubtedly underperforming.

Morton are an average Championship team and if we can't pick up a point against them tomorrow then you'd have to imagine that the best we can hope for is one of the p/t teams (probably Dumbarton) imploding letting us finish 9th unless JR is given cash to splash in January. It's one match and anything can happen but I'll be disappointed from an objective point of view if we lose this game.

If we can't pick up a point against an average championship team tomorrow the best we can hope for is 9th? :huh:

We have lost to several average championship teams already this season, another one to add to the collection is hardly going to be fatal. To stay up we need a major revamp in January, the result tomorrow won't change that, however it goes.

11 hours ago, TopCat said:

If we can't pick up a point against an average championship team tomorrow the best we can hope for is 9th? :huh:

We have lost to several average championship teams already this season, another one to add to the collection is hardly going to be fatal. To stay up we need a major revamp in January, the result tomorrow won't change that, however it goes.

Yeah that's my opinion. We're bottom by three points, in terms of league games we've missed out on the "dead cat bounce" although to be fair I didn't expect to pick up any points against Dundee Utd. & Hibs but Morton are a class below those two teams. You've said previously that we're the worst in the division & that you expect us to lose tonight, if that's the case then why would you expect us to do any better against any of the other average Championship teams? :huh:

We're chasing a moving target and unless Ross can devise more effective tactics and we start to pick up points from games like tonight's then that only leaves us the H2H's against Dumbarton and Dunfermline to close the gap unless we can improve the quality of the squad in January (which I already mentioned). If neither occurs then yeah I'd reckon 9th is the best we can expect.

Given what you've said where do you expect us to finish if we don't have a good "transfer window"?

Edited by Bud the Baker

7 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Can only hope there is something in it for the buddies heading to a dreech night in Greenock. Got a feeling we will all be talking about Quitongo tomorrow night.

He was pish against us last game , he'll be equally pish tonight . 

I've got a feeling we'll be talking about our players (in a good way ) after the game . 

COYS .

Jack Ross getting new players in January would only be delaying the inevitable.

the manager has to get the ones there NOW working as a team to be successful, asap.

The grass will not be greener in January.  Points must be won right away.

if JR loses this trivial match versus a rubbish outfit there will be those immediately turned against him, due to some mistaken belief that this match matters more than most.

But it's the total season for which he has been employed - he needs to get things working NOW.

Jack Ross getting new players in January would only be delaying the inevitable.

the manager has to get the ones there NOW working as a team to be successful, asap.

The grass will not be greener in January.  Points must be won right away.

if JR loses this trivial match versus a rubbish outfit there will be those immediately turned against him, due to some mistaken belief that this match matters more than most.

But it's the total season for which he has been employed - he needs to get things working NOW.

Morton are hardly a rubbish outfit, get real ffs and stop talking shite.

We wont have money in January to strengthen the team nor do i reckon we should have to.I believe we have a better squad of players than most of the teams in the league and all they require is to raise their game and play with a bit more pace.We tend to let teams regroup when we have the ball and it makes it easier for them to win back possession.There is too big a gap between middle and front and the midfield must give the front men options when we are trying to retain the ball. 

Tonight is massive on a number of points.Lets get in about them and take the 3 points down the road.

The best we have played has been with a 4-2-3-1 formation with Mallan playing just off the striker. Unfortunately I reckon we only have 3 fit defenders so it will probably be a 3-5-2 formation. For tonight's game in particular we need players with attitude and character who will bust a gut (I know, something rarely seen this season). Hope Hardie is on the bench as he is a luxury in my opinion and does not fight anywhere near enough in a game. Walsh too can be casual but at least he can run direct at the opposition now and then though his tracking and tackling leave a lot to be desired. With Mallan playing deep, I suspect, that limits forward movement and I would be happy with a 0-0 borefest. I'll be there anyway.

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

As you're the expert on THAT subject, I should pay attention...

this means Morton really ARE a rubbish outfit.

(apologies for this reply.  I always had you on Ignore and never saw your shite. Must get you back on Ignore...  Missin you already. :). )

3 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Well said JJ, Morton are far from rubbish this year and should have been 4-0 up on us at HT for one of the 4 points we have scraped this season. Ton had a season like ours a few years back, when Sheils was their manager, they were tanked in every game finishing off with a 10-2 loss to Accies, same issue as us. Players with no bottle or fight.

Our biggest mistake this season was that fkin AR dumping Goodie and bringing in his we Sevco pals.

37 minutes ago, magnus said:

Cracking sunny autumn day. Looks like a great night for the footy. I will be there looking forward to 3 points and the usual derby atmosphere. COYS ! 

I am with you Magnus. A superb autumn day. A local derby. Your opponents plating well. Lots to play for. A need to get 3 points. This is what the game I enjoy is all about. It goes without saying that I want the Buddies to get the 3 points and will be there adding my verbal support.

Of course, the tension around our present position might be too much for some or they might prefer to have a different manager or different players so they might stay away or find something else to do. That is their choice.

COYS

10 minutes ago, aber 87 said:

Train times anyone?

Barrhead to Glasgow Central 

2 per hour 

20 past and 20 to the hour. 

Happy to help 

Enjoy the game. 

Hope you huvnae got me on ignore.