St. Mirren v Dunfermline

First of 4 potentially difficult games in March.  I like the way the Pars play and it makes for a good game between us going by previous matches. Both teams have much to play for. Our home record is excellent so I believe we might shade it.

Edited by St.Ricky

35 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I am sure we are all looking for a reset here and the team getting back to bossing games. The same players that got us here are still there, plus we have strengthened with a bit of quality. As Delia would say "lets be 'avin you"

If Delia comes anywhere near our ground with a mic, I fear for us......................

Apart from losing to Livi, we are still the team to beat. Most of our wins recently have been by 1 goal, I can see this being the case over the next 10 games.

29 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

If Delia comes anywhere near our ground with a mic, I fear for us......................

Apart from losing to Livi, we are still the team to beat. Most of our wins recently have been by 1 goal, I can see this being the case over the next 10 games.

It is fine if it keeps working out like that. However, it is dangerous as 2 points could be dropped any week if we are only 1 ahead.

I would love JR to tell his players to mentally go for the jugular whenever they can... that way, fear factor and winning confidence should both play into our hands and get the job done.

I do think we have loads of players who can score - so it would be great to see them all firing in goals over the next 10 games...

C O Y S - starting against Dunfermline

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

It is fine if it keeps working out like that. However, it is dangerous as 2 points could be dropped any week if we are only 1 ahead.

I would love JR to tell his players to mentally go for the jugular whenever they can... that way, fear factor and winning confidence should both play into our hands and get the job done.

I do think we have loads of players who can score - so it would be great to see them all firing in goals over the next 10 games...

C O Y S - starting against Dunfermline

To quote Jack- We don't have any right to thump any team is this league. The fact we have won 18 out of 26 is way beyond what we should expect. Some on here, think we are invincible, we are not. We are a good side, with a great manager.............. we go for jugulars then we will start to lose games. All of the top 6 teams have players that can hurt us.

We go toe to toe and we scrap, we fight and hopefully, Lewis , Gavin and Cammy score goals. But also, heavy pitches, cold suits a more Direct team , ie Livi, so I will take 1-0 Sat , get 3 points and have 27 points to play for with at least an 8 point advantage 

38 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

To quote Jack- We don't have any right to thump any team is this league. The fact we have won 18 out of 26 is way beyond what we should expect. Some on here, think we are invincible, we are not. We are a good side, with a great manager.............. we go for jugulars then we will start to lose games. All of the top 6 teams have players that can hurt us.

We go toe to toe and we scrap, we fight and hopefully, Lewis , Gavin and Cammy score goals. But also, heavy pitches, cold suits a more Direct team , ie Livi, so I will take 1-0 Sat , get 3 points and have 27 points to play for with at least an 8 point advantage 

Agreed.

The good news about Dunfermline is that they are not a direct team, they tend to try and play the ball on the ground and that suits us just fine.  That is of course until we score then they push that giant of a man up front.  Anyway Gary Mack has his measure.

Could we see Massimo make a debut?   

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

In the Jack tacks tactics vid, which is on another thread, he openly encourages his players to shoot whenever they get around 17-18 yds from goal. In the last few matches it has been Jack who has been consolidating leads with defensive substitutions.

Reilly's confidence may have been affected by the fact he substituted EVERY week by a guy who doesn't look like he could lace his boots. I'm a 100% behind Jack and he can substitute who he likes. It's his job.

That aside. I would say give Gavin a full 90 minutes with Hyppolite alongside him. 

In the Jack tacks tactics vid, which is on another thread, he openly encourages his players to shoot whenever they get around 17-18 yds from goal. In the last few matches it has been Jack who has been consolidating leads with defensive substitutions.
Reilly's confidence may have been affected by the fact he substituted EVERY week by a guy who doesn't look like he could lace his boots. I'm a 100% behind Jack and he can substitute who he likes. It's his job.
That aside. I would say give Gavin a full 90 minutes with Hyppolite alongside him. 

I was a “ Meh “when Reilly signed but admitted long since that he has been a great signing for Saints.
That said, he has scored one league goal in the last seven games, and forwards scoring goals is as much about confidence as anything else. Perhaps a wee dip in form may be part of the reason he is getting subbed ? Also,We don’t know what goes on in training , but we need to know more about those who want to grab a starting spot.
Would like to see more of Hippolyte but difficult to see who would be picked from the current four or five who are vying for a start .

1 hour ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Just a few contradictions in there :whistle Ever considered Football Management?- Good- Don't :P

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

I understand what you are saying and we would ALL take a 1 v 0 win every game  -  BUT my point was, if we sit back defensively with a 1 goal lead, the chances are, at some point we will drop 2 points - (Just like we did the last Morton game after dominating the 1st half).. If we do that more than occasionally, then we will be much more vulnerable and teams will take note...

Why would going for the jugular make us more vulnerable? - sitting back defending is at least as risky a strategy... if we go 3 up,  the chances of us losing will be greatly reduced...

I don't know anyone who thinks we are invincible - Livi proved that to be foolish thinking, and we still have not won against Morton, and Premier Teams comfortably give us a doing....

Just because Jack says We don't have any right to thump any team is this league  does not mean to say that we cannot thump teams in this league - goodness me Falkirk hammered Utd  6  v 1   - are we not better than Falkirk?  A Number of teams have won 4 v 0 or 4 v 1 - Do we not have guys capable of scoring 4 or 5 in a game? It is not like we have a ropey defence.

I think pushing for 2 or 3 goal leads in the 1st hour of a game will help us to comfortably win games - getting 1 goal up and sitting back is more dangerous and you can see it in the transcripts during matches - sphincters and soggy knickers on many comments towards the end of matches..

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Just a few contradictions in there :whistle Ever considered Football Management?- Good- Don't :P

Apparently the greatest General ever born lived through a period of History with unprecedented peace and never got the chance to prove himself. I might be the greatest ever football manger who never managed a team. Then again every one on here thinks that.

But still, You never know...........

Edited by East Lothian Saint
Looking for new job

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I was a “ Meh “when Reilly signed but admitted long since that he has been a great signing for Saints.
That said, he has scored one league goal in the last seven games, and forwards scoring goals is as much about confidence as anything else. Perhaps a wee dip in form may be part of the reason he is getting subbed ? Also,We don’t know what goes on in training , but we need to know more about those who want to grab a starting spot.
Would like to see more of Hippolyte but difficult to see who would be picked from the current four or five who are vying for a start .

I agree. What goes on in training must play a big part in JR's thinking. We only see the end product and to be honest it not too bad. I just wonder why Reilly goes off to be replaced by Mullen when Morgan has been rank the last few weeks but then again as someone suggested maybe football management isn't my calling

17 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I agree. What goes on in training must play a big part in JR's thinking. We only see the end product and to be honest it not too bad. I just wonder why Reilly goes off to be replaced by Mullen when Morgan has been rank the last few weeks but then again as someone suggested maybe football management isn't my calling

Could the answer be in the loan agreement for Morgan?  Only a few years ago we were contractually bound to play a particular loanee every week unless he was unfit.  I don't know for sure but it could be that kind of deal, which serves only Celtic.