Jump to content

Stockholmbud

4 told they can leave

Recommended Posts


There’s only one club who will win the Premier League, they play in green and white hoops. Everyone else though should be doing their very best in every game. Every club should do their very best in the Scottish and League Cups. For a club like ours, doing your very best can result in days like 1987 or 2013.

This ‘group stage’ early season shite though... a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we can ask for a bye through to the " knockout stages " ?

Aw wait.

The Groups are a " knockout stage "

We got well humped out last season.

Celtic & Sevco orientated on here were happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Nothing arrogant or shite about it.

The timing of games means it's not set up to favour teams who are in the middle of a rebuild.

When we won it, it was a straight Knockout competition that spanned 2/3rds of the season.

It's now a series of glorified friendlies and only becomes a serious prospect when you get to the nitty gritty of the knockouts, which we are yet to do.

 

Kilmarnock Stevie Clark said what today in the press ? Very close to what you have written.  Yes we are building a team but please this is a national cup, The league cup not the propaganda put out by the press which you have swallowed tooth and nail. You have writting utter crap / or you have accepted defeat even before a ball is kicked.  We reach the final are you going to tell us we got there through friendlies? Don't think so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's hoping team morale hasn't been adversely affected by Stubbs decisions thus far... removing the contract offer to Reilly and telling 4 players under contract they are free to find new clubs, and I don't doubt that div is right in saying a few other players currently on the books will go as well. Usually promoted teams do OK if they can keep the momentum going from their promotion winning season. Since winning the league we have lost our best player, top scorer, best defender, manger and assistant manager and now told 4 more players they are free to find other clubs with further departures anticipated.

If you were a Jack Ross signing you might feel your jacket was on a shoogly peg!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Kilmarnock Stevie Clark said what today in the press ? Very close to what you have written.  Yes we are building a team but please this is a national cup, The league cup not the propaganda put out by the press which you have swallowed tooth and nail. You have writting utter crap / or you have accepted defeat even before a ball is kicked.  We reach the final are you going to tell us we got there through friendlies? Don't think so. 

I don't read the press. I haven't swallowed a thing tooth and nail. And haven't seen anything Stevie Clarke or anyone else has said. Dunno what you're trying to insinuate but my opinion is my own, not a regurgitated one from other people. 

As for 'writting' utter crap, thanks for the feedback. I'll take it on board and consider it.  I'll also consider that you thought Ally McCoist should be our manager because he stopped and spoke to you that one time. 

As I clearly said. If we get through the group, then I'll start taking the league Cup seriously. Until then, it is a series of glorified friendlies. The timing of these matches (ie, bang in the middle of pre season) should be evidence enough of this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Here's hoping team morale hasn't been adversely affected by Stubbs decisions thus far... removing the contract offer to Reilly and telling 4 players under contract they are free to find new clubs, and I don't doubt that div is right in saying a few other players currently on the books will go as well. Usually promoted teams do OK if they can keep the momentum going from their promotion winning season. Since winning the league we have lost our best player, top scorer, best defender, manger and assistant manager and now told 4 more players they are free to find other clubs with further departures anticipated.

If you were a Jack Ross signing you might feel your jacket was on a shoogly peg!

Absolutely. The one thing we will now absolutely not have is momentum.

If we do ok this season it will be because a new Stubbs team has done well. For different reasons the heart has been well and truly ripped out of last seasons squad. Let’s see what happens but for the time being I’m very downbeat. Unlike some on here though, if Stubbs proves me wrong, I’ll be the first to come on here and admit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that most of us agreed that we needed several new players to survive the forthcoming season and we have a new manager, I'm not sure what people would have expected. I have concerns, but I would be more worried if Stubbs had simply sat back and kept last year's squad, built by the previous manager, and didn't impose hos own ideas. As far as I can see, sentiment aside, there isn't one player that has been let go, that you would look at as being essential for our survival. Hopefully, next season we'll be in a far more stable position and be able to approach the league cup with more confidence. Our rebuilding job won't be over until the transfer window shuts, but as others have stated, reluctantly I'm accepting that Stubbs won't have his strongest team available until the opening day of the league campaign. Any money from John McGinn's sale will prove crucial to our survival. Also,on a final note, it shouldn't be forgotten that our best defender and top scorer both knocked back offers fron Jack Ross and not our current manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

 

 I'll also consider that you thought Ally McCoist should be our manager because he stopped and spoke to you that one time. 

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Absolutely. The one thing we will now absolutely not have is momentum.

If we do ok this season it will be because a new Stubbs team has done well. For different reasons the heart has been well and truly ripped out of last seasons squad. Let’s see what happens but for the time being I’m very downbeat. Unlike some on here though, if Stubbs proves me wrong, I’ll be the first to come on here and admit it.

Some major heart surgery and we'll get stronger. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't read the press. I haven't swallowed a thing tooth and nail. And haven't seen anything Stevie Clarke or anyone else has said. Dunno what you're trying to insinuate but my opinion is my own, not a regurgitated one from other people. 

As for 'writting' utter crap, thanks for the feedback. I'll take it on board and consider it.  I'll also consider that you thought Ally McCoist should be our manager because he stopped and spoke to you that one time. 

As I clearly said. If we get through the group, then I'll start taking the league Cup seriously. Until then, it is a series of glorified friendlies. The timing of these matches (ie, bang in the middle of pre season) should be evidence enough of this. 

Oh dear , McCoist with McDowell was rumoured I wrote it would not be a bad choice. Stokes,  I wrote he would be a good signing.  Miller I said he would be a good signing, Alan Stubbs I said would be a good signing.  Hope that's enough ammunition for you to fire away with. What it has to do with the cup competition  only you know.. Not at a high level I joined a team at 34 in Glasgow,  we did not train we just turned up to play games why you seem to think players who have trained for weeks can not be competitive in a national cup competition  is  strange.   Never mind if you don't agree there is ammunition in this post for you to pick up and throw at me which strangely you have been doing for a while now. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An open question for comment here, and will be evidenced in time by where the released players end up.

of the four released, which if any do you think a Premiership club would take?

me, i know none of them are premiership quality, a couple were in the past but times move on. We stuttered across the line in the last quarter to win the league, and that was against Brechin, Falkirk, etc, etc... as we saw last season our squad couldnt cope with any premiership team we met. We really need a totally different squad to have half a chance. Fortunately Stubbzo knows that. We will see if he's 'Alan the Plan' or 'Stubbzo the Gubbedzo'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, billyg said:

When we were promoted on a wave of optimism in 2000 under TH ,  we kept the same squad , mistakingly thinking we were good enough for the top league. Stubbs will not make the same mistake , and I'm pretty sure we will be surprised at the high calibre of at least some of the new guys still to arrive !

Agree Billy I'm sure Stubbs has a few high calibre players on the radar going by tweetland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billyg said:

When we were promoted on a wave of optimism in 2000 under TH ,  we kept the same squad , mistakingly thinking we were good enough for the top league.

Indeed.

And our success in 2000 was very much built around the strike partnership of Yardley & Lavety. We lost Lavety and Yardley had reached the end of the road.

This time around, our success was built around Lewis Morgan. He's gone now - not Stubbs' fault. The fact is that much of last season's championship winning side are just not good enough for the top flight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zico said:

Indeed.

And our success in 2000 was very much built around the strike partnership of Yardley & Lavety. We lost Lavety and Yardley had reached the end of the road.

This time around, our success was built around Lewis Morgan. He's gone now - not Stubbs' fault. The fact is that much of last season's championship winning side are just not good enough for the top flight!

The success was built around the width Junior Mendes gave us, which is why him sneaking off to Dunfermline was such a problem.

Anyway, we won't be going down next season.  Livingston have nailed that position closed by appointing Kenny Miller.

It was always going to be tough after losing Lewis Morgan and Harry Davis.  If you remove Morgan's goals and assists it is clear we wouldn't have won the league and would struggle this season.  Change is necessary then, Stubbs just has us a little nervous as we have never heard of these guys coming in (and they don't have much experience).  We shall get a first look at them soon enough.

Edited by Kemp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

An open question for comment here, and will be evidenced in time by where the released players end up.

of the four released, which if any do you think a Premiership club would take?

me, i know none of them are premiership quality, a couple were in the past but times move on. We stuttered across the line in the last quarter to win the league, and that was against Brechin, Falkirk, etc, etc... as we saw last season our squad couldnt cope with any premiership team we met. We really need a totally different squad to have half a chance. Fortunately Stubbzo knows that. We will see if he's 'Alan the Plan' or 'Stubbzo the Gubbedzo'.

Spot on.

None of them will move to a Premier club, other than perhaps Livvy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FTOF said:

Given that most of us agreed that we needed several new players to survive the forthcoming season and we have a new manager, I'm not sure what people would have expected. I have concerns, but I would be more worried if Stubbs had simply sat back and kept last year's squad, built by the previous manager, and didn't impose hos own ideas. As far as I can see, sentiment aside, there isn't one player that has been let go, that you would look at as being essential for our survival. Hopefully, next season we'll be in a far more stable position and be able to approach the league cup with more confidence. Our rebuilding job won't be over until the transfer window shuts, but as others have stated, reluctantly I'm accepting that Stubbs won't have his strongest team available until the opening day of the league campaign. Any money from John McGinn's sale will prove crucial to our survival. Also,on a final note, it shouldn't be forgotten that our best defender and top scorer both knocked back offers fron Jack Ross and not our current manager.

Agree with this.

I was originally of the view that we should probably keep MacKenzie and Eckersley as squad players, however saw somewhere else that between them they played 38 games last season through injury and suspension so it is fair to say that they were becoming squad players already. If I take the sentimentality out of it I would say, at the age they are both at, then it is likely not to be improving players that would challenge a first team position and both are likely to be at the expensive end for being squad players.

The other 2 I was just surprised they had made it this far if I'm honest as McShane has been found wanting at Premier level before and Stewart has never threatened Samson's position last season (and I see Samson as becoming more of the backup next season).

Another thing that struck me is perhaps in MacKenzie's and Eckersley's position the new manager has thought about putting his own stamp on dressing room and wants the experienced pros to be his experienced pros. It might be he has seen something in the training camp that makes him think that he wants his own leaders in the dressing room. Jack did similar with McGinn when he had the chance, and perhaps Stubbs wants this too.

Edited by madball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't write off the League Cup campaign quite yet. A lot can change very quickly in football, and either way we should still have enough about us to take care of Spartans, Dumbarton and Queens Park even with the squad as it currently stands.

Stubbs has consistently said that we'd need to be patient to land some of his signing targets.

Good things and all that................!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...