First "Quarter" Report - Could Do Better?

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

On the manager, he's been in the door about ten minutes - we need to stop ourselves getting into the cycle of writing off managers if they don't perform miracles from the off. Personally I am always in favour of giving a manager time to put his stamp on the team. Most of those we've appointed have had time quickly to wheel and deal, with the notable exceptions of Jack Ross, and now Oran Kearney, who have both been left with months to deal with someone else's mess in terms of personnel.

Difficult as is, we need to get behind the manager until he can  get rid of some dross and bring in his own men, and only then will it be fair to really judge him. I'm aware I'll get the replies that he should be making a difference to the players, which has some merit, but when we've seen players down tools for one manager, is it any surprise that some of the same guys seem to have no heart for fighting on another's behalf? 

Mate I agree with this in principle

But how about the PLAYERS getting behind the manager.

1. Stubbs- They downed tools

2. OK- They clearly are not practising what is being taught to them.........

I do hope we bag about 12 come Jan

8 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Mate I agree with this in principle

That is one of the issues for me also. Too many players - guys who were great for us last season - don't look particularly interested. The manager has a job on his hands getting these guys motivated, and if he can't, he should look to youth to provide the energy and enthusiasm we are lacking. 

A couple of things on this, could someone provide evidence of this injury that, now, needs an operation?
Then, as you say, IF he's injured he, or the manager, need to have a good look at themselves. 
The acceptance by some that we can go down and OK is the man to take us back up is staggering.
We have seen little to nothing to suggest he could take us back up, which is a difficult task for any team. 

I don’t think McGinn is injured at all, I think he’s just shite.

He moves and runs in the same way as he did last season. There’s no obvious physical problem.

He was also shite in the cup games against Premiership opponents Aberdeen and Thistle last season.

Was he injured in those games too? Or maybe he is just out his depth at this level...

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

TF/GLS must take most of the blame for the wasted 41 days which set the tone for our season and for pandering to the hurt feelings of the (not so) grown up schoolboys who engineered the sacking of AS which pretty much stopped transfer activity in the last week of the transfer window.

Agree with the rest of your post but Stubbs was on his way out before dissenting voices were heard from any players. The only surprise is why he lasted so long.

13 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Got to agree. You are on a hot streak DJ

5 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I don’t think McGinn is injured at all, I think he’s just shite.

He moves and runs in the same way as he did last season. There’s no obvious physical problem.

He was also shite in the cup games against Premiership opponents Aberdeen and Thistle last season.

Was he injured in those games too? Or maybe he is just out his depth at this level...

:blink: Not even Specsavers could fix your problem TC. 

33 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We need height if we are going to play long we might as well stick Baird up front with Jackson , who I think would thrive if he had flick ins to chase .

Strange you should say this. I had the same thought during the game last night!

13 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

First quarter ....let's forget about that. Next quarter has to be better to stay in contention and then a big shift in personnel in January.

I really find it hard to see where our next point is coming from. You just know what is going to happen up in Dundee. Fail there the deck of cards will fall, forum in utter meltdown, home gate will dwindle, Booo ! Will become the norm at home games. TC will resurrect Tick tock thread . Faraway Saint will still post laughing smiles. Call for the manager to go. You can just smell the shit coming after all it's just around the corner. This wee premiership club will become a big championship club so not all bad :booty

29 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Strange you should say this. I had the same thought during the game last night!

Going WAAAY back (40 years and more), it was not uncommon for centre-halves and centre-forwards to be considered interchangeable between those positions.  Our own Gus Mcloud (poor)  and Rangers Derek Johnstone (considerably better) were examples of this, I'm sure Billyg could give more examples from saints and other clubs on this.  It was all about getting on the high balls and sticking it to the opposition defenders. 

7 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Going WAAAY back (40 years and more), it was not uncommon for centre-halves and centre-forwards to be considered interchangeable between those positions.  Our own Gus Mcloud (poor)  and Rangers Derek Johnstone (considerably better) were examples of this, I'm sure Billyg could give more examples from saints and other clubs on this.  It was all about getting on the high balls and sticking it to the opposition defenders. 

Paul Hegarty , Tom McAdam , Colin McAdam , Andy McFadden , Andy Tod :)

24 minutes ago, HSS said:

I'm not convinced of that IOBS.Not many teams go down then come straight back up.

I meant relegation will be a real possibility, I hope not Dundee could well be a turning point for both clubs season. We are a small premiership club , larger championship club. 

Could be heading for the double relegation that Ross managed to prevent. Because this team would struggle in the first division never mind the championship. Now I know you are going to say but it won't be the same team next year but for years and years with the exception of the  Ross 2 years it hasn't mattered who the manager was or how good the players were with other teams as soon as they put on a St Mirren shirt they turned to shite and I fully expect that to continue. So make no mistake we are in deep deep trouble and will be for years to come because as I have said it won't matter a jot who is in charge or what players we have we will continue to be shite unless some how a miracle happens because that's what we need devine intervention. 

Edited by elvis

24 minutes ago, elvis said:

Could be heading for the double relegation that Ross managed to prevent. Because this team would struggle in the first division never mind the championship. Now I know you are going to say but it won't be the same team next year but for years and years with the exception of the  Ross 2 years it hasn't mattered who the manager was or how good the players were with other teams as soon as they put on a St Mirren shirt they turned to shite and I fully expect that to continue. So make no mistake we are in deep deep trouble and will be for years to come because as I have said it won't matter a jot who is in charge or what players we have we will continue to be shite unless some how a miracle happens because that's what we need devine intervention. 

Dont think it's that bleak. Last thing we need is Sydney Devine anywhere near the Club:) 

The Club is well run and is doing really good stuff in the community. Lots of good stuff happening off the park. Genuinely  lovely pics  in social media showing the manager and players supporting Down Syndrome Awareness month.

Still the greatest Club.

Edited by magnus

50 minutes ago, elvis said:

Are you an elvis from an alternative universe cos the from ours  never deviated from his unrelenting gloom during JRs tenure! :spud6

I am genuinely pleased that they do things with the community but how is that going to help with on the park fiascos which is what the majority of people  want to see improved its got to the point lots of people now expect to get beat and it no longer ruins there Saturdays when. They inevitabley do. 

8 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Cockles Wilson - great  (tough) centre forward, won the cup as a full back. (1959).

15 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Going WAAY back (40 years and more), it was not uncommon for centre-halves and centre-forwards to be considered interchangeable for those positions.  Our own Gus Mcloud (poor)  and Rangers Derek Johnstone (considerably better) were examples of this, I'm sure Billyg could give more examples from saints and other clubs on this.  It was all about getting on the high balls and sticking it to the opposition defenders. 

Don't fancy our chances with Danny diver at ch!

A question for all those wanting to bring in all these new players in the window is what are we going to do with those we have, they're not going to walk away for nothing? f

On Thursday, November 01, 2018 at 1:02 PM, beyond our ken said:

I'm still highly surprised anyone thought that this season would pan out any other way.  Without Morgan, we would have been lucky to rise above the middle of the championship and the loss of the most competent players from that team was inevitable.  The budget that the board prepared seems to have been parsimonious and at least one potential manager walked away from the vacancy when he saw what the board had to offer.  Inevitably, penny-pinching in the first instance led to the law of diminishing returns coming back to haunt us and we have probably spent more cash paying off staff and luring out of contract players to the club than would have been required to boost the original budget to the point where good proven managers would have been interested in the saints job.  It is entirely the board's fault that we were unable to build the side we needed for the premiership.

We have been making bad decisions and taking gambles for too long and I have to take us back to the deal to buy the club from Scott.  He is guaranteed his money no matter how much value the club loses and is insulated from risk in that respect.  This is simply not healthy.

Those supporting buy the buds may well be paying premiership prices to take over a Stenhousemuir or a Berwick at this rate.

I agree with a lot of what you say. On the football front I believe that OK is now beginning to work out a shape to play and which players to use in these formations. 

Our points total makes dismal reading and I think even our most ardent fans(myself included) could make a case for perhaps having deserved  a point each against Hibs, Killie and Rangers. All home games where our performances have been arguably better than our results.