Squad Complete

It sounds like that is the end of our summer transfer business.

How do think we look?

Overall I would say fair play to Gus & Jim. We have brought in a decent standard of player and got a few on 2 or 3 year deals. It is a shame we weren't ready for the League Cup but hopefully next season there won't be a repeat.

Looking at the squad I would say;

GK - Very strong, Vaclav is one of the best in the league.

Def - Weak. Baird & MacKenzie as a centre back pairing at this level concerns me, hopefully we won't need to call on that. Waters looks a decent signing but is inexperienced. We lack depth, and will be playing Cammy MacPherson in the emergency full back role when required. Erhanon's days as a full back are hopefully over. Please somehow bring back Popescu!

Mid - Looks strong. Durmus & McAllister as wingers is really exciting, looking forward to seeing Flynn, Foley and Andreu against Aberdeen. Looks like we have lots of energy in there and should be able to hit teams on the break. 

Attack - Hopefully strong! I think Obika might do well, and Danny Mullen showed what he can do at the end of last season. Very underated player. Cooke is there as back-up.

Everyone seems to be set up for a relegation battle given our recent experiences but I think we should do ok. My concern is that back line, but I assume we will be sitting back and looking to counter so players like Foley and Flynn will be able to offer some form of shield, and we won't have too many balls going over Baird/MacKenzie.

We should finish above Livingston, Hamilton and St Johnstone.

Bring back Popescu and we could push higher up the table!

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

How do think we look?

Overall I would say fair play to Gus & Jim. We have brought in a decent standard of player and got a few on 2 or 3 year deals. It is a shame we weren't ready for the League Cup but hopefully next season there won't be a repeat.

Def - Weak. Baird & MacKenzie as a centre back pairing at this level concerns me, hopefully we won't need to call on that. Waters looks a decent signing but is inexperienced. We lack depth, and will be playing Cammy MacPherson in the emergency full back role when required. Erhanon's days as a full back are hopefully over. Please somehow bring back Popescu!

Mid - Looks strong. Durmus & McAllister as wingers is really exciting, looking forward to seeing Flynn, Foley and Andreu against Aberdeen. Looks like we have lots of energy in there and should be able to hit teams on the break. 

Attack - Hopefully strong! I think Obika might do well, and Danny Mullen showed what he can do at the end of last season. Very underated player. Cooke is there as back-up.

Everyone seems to be set up for a relegation battle given our recent experiences but I think we should do ok. My concern is that back line, but I assume we will be sitting back and looking to counter so players like Foley and Flynn will be able to offer some form of shield, and we won't have too many balls going over Baird/MacKenzie.

We should finish above Livingston, Hamilton and St Johnstone.

Bring back Popescu and we could push higher up the table!

Good post, no like you. :rolleyes:

I still feel we need more in yet. There is no proper back up to Waters and P.McGinn, and we will already be missing Waters against Killie. Also, knowing Mack’s injury record, there’s no cover if Baird or McLoughlin get injured/suspended.

Midfield/wingers seem okay as long as McAllister is actually going to be confirmed. Obika should be alright, Mullen is better off the bench but finding another striker on a short term loan to cover Cooke’s absence wouldn’t hurt.

I do feel we need three more in tbh - someone who can cover both full backs, a CB and a striker, at least to cover Cooke.

15 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I still feel we need more in yet. There is no proper back up to Waters and P.McGinn, and we will already be missing Waters against Killie. Also, knowing Mack’s injury record, there’s no cover if Baird or McLoughlin get injured/suspended.

Midfield/wingers seem okay as long as McAllister is actually going to be confirmed. Obika should be alright, Mullen is better off the bench but finding another striker on a short term loan to cover Cooke’s absence wouldn’t hurt.

I do feel we need three more in tbh - someone who can cover both full backs, a CB and a striker, at least to cover Cooke.

In an ideal world, I agree - someone who can cover both full backs, a CB and a striker, at least to cover Cooke

By my reckoning the first team squad is only 18 strong + 3/4 Colts players on the fringes. I'd be looking for 2/3 more first team players and 1 on top of that if we can move on Kellerman (I've nothing against the guy but he's an emergency pick). With Cooke out (hopefully for the shorter 3 month period) we haven't got 18 players of the required standard to compete in the Bottom 6 currently..

9 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

By my reckoning the first team squad is only 18 strong + 3/4 Colts players on the fringes. I'd be looking for 2/3 more first team players and 1 on top of that if we can move on Kellerman (I've nothing against the guy but he's an emergency pick). With Cooke out (hopefully for the shorter 3 month period) we haven't got 18 players of the required standard to compete in the Bottom 6 currently..

Kellerman wasn’t even getting the opportunity with our threadbare cup squad, you do wonder if he’s even in the plans. Shame for the guy.

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

How do think we look?

Def - Weak. Baird & MacKenzie as a centre back pairing at this level concerns me, hopefully we won't need to call on that. Waters looks a decent signing but is inexperienced. We lack depth, 

E55EF3F9-0B15-460E-883D-E18745A45899.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

How do think we look?

Positive threads, it will never catch on, lol

father ted GIF by Pixel Bandits

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Goodwin was interviewed on Radio Clyde earlier and said something along the lines of filling the two problem positions today in Waters and McAllister means that he can take his time to bring in another two before the end of the window.

So it definitely seems like there is still a bit of movement to be made. I'd imagine closer to the last week of the window.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Goodwin was interviewed on Radio Clyde earlier and said something along the lines of filling the two problem positions today in Waters and McAllister means that he can take his time to bring in another two before the end of the window.

So it definitely seems like there is still a bit of movement to be made. I'd imagine closer to the last week of the window.

I'm hoping Popescu when his agent realises he made an arse of it... on loan initially then a 3 year contract next season because he loves it here.:D

We look light, but seem to have good quality throughout the team. Midfield looks fantastic and for the first time in a long time looks to have little weakness - creativity, strength, pace, width, aggression.

Full back looks a little light, I'd rather we didn't rely on both MacPherson and Erhahon incase of long term injuries, Centre half is also light and forwards we are exceptionally light.

Ideally 3 more signings... probably 1 if we're lucky though.

3 hours ago, whydowebother said:

This from the guy who has a thread just below ‘Why has the director of football failed?’

emoji2.png

:lol:

I knew this was coming.

Think my post on that thread is pretty clear. The idea of the DoF ensuring stability "season to season even in the absence of a manager" was an abject failure. We got sent out the League Cup by part time and non league sides. If you take the League Cup seriously (as we should) it was an utter humiliation. We should have been in much better shape!

Better late than never though, I am hopeful for the new signings and can see with the 2 and 3 year contracts we are looking for stability.

2 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I'm hoping Popescu when his agent realises he made an arse of it... on loan initially then a 3 year contract next season because he loves it here.:D

I think the boy loves money more than he loves St Mirren.

:lol:
I am hopeful for the new signings and can see with the 2 and 3 year contracts we are looking for stability.

This is the bit I like, finally some decent length contracts

Loan players are all well & good but the way forward is giving players stability which in turn gives the club stability ( hopefully )

Good new nonetheless

5 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:
6 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Kellerman wasn’t even getting the opportunity with our threadbare cup squad, you do wonder if he’s even in the plans. Shame for the guy.

Gotta disagree here; think about our supposed 75k man/lad/boy, JG was quick enough to agree to move him on, but stuck with Cooke presumably because he saw some potential in him and his work ethic was good.  Now my thoughts are along the lines of if Kellerman is still here it's because JG isn't ready to let him go; ergo I am assuming he sees some potential in him also, yes he has been unlucky with injury, but it happens in football. I would give the lad a chance, I mean we thought we had kissed bye bye to a wad of cash over Heaton and ended up with Mcallister for (if not he haw) at least not very much.  Swings and roundabouts.  😎

40 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Gotta disagree here; think about our supposed 75k man/lad/boy, JG was quick enough to agree to move him on, but stuck with Cooke presumably because he saw some potential in him and his work ethic was good.  Now my thoughts are along the lines of if Kellerman is still here it's because JG isn't ready to let him go; ergo I am assuming he sees some potential in him also, yes he has been unlucky with injury, but it happens in football. I would give the lad a chance, I mean we thought we had kissed bye bye to a wad of cash over Heaton and ended up with Mcallister for (if not he haw) at least not very much.  Swings and roundabouts.  😎

Fair point bud, perhaps you are right. He’d have been released by now. Tansey wasn’t given a squad number, did Kellerman get one?

I do still find it strange that he didn’t get a chance in the League Cup considering how shite/desperate we were.

6 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:
49 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Fair point bud, perhaps you are right. He’d have been released by now. Tansey wasn’t given a squad number, did Kellerman get one?

I do still find it strange that he didn’t get a chance in the League Cup considering how shite/desperate we were.

Just checked he is on the squad with number 17, 2 starts, 5 sub appearances and 1 goal, i assumed he had the dislocated shoulder and that's why he wasn't  listed.

Time will tell if he is Ok or             not.