Viaplay Cup(League Cup) 2023/24

HSS

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Could be worse I suppose. Ask Jim Goodwin. 🤦‍♂️

This puts things in perspective. I was there today. For 60 minutes or so we seemed to have more of the ball but insisted on either passing sideways or back together with long punts up front. Montrose looked to defend and did so well throughout. Created at most 3 opportunities and took 1. After lineup changes we took a grip of the game and could / should have scored a couple. We didn’t do a poor performance became a very bad day for the players and fans. That’s football. Thanks again to stewards , other away fans and home fans for a good day out.

5 minutes ago, Rascal said:

This puts things in perspective. I was there today. For 60 minutes or so we seemed to have more of the ball but insisted on either passing sideways or back together with long punts up front. Montrose looked to defend and did so well throughout. Created at most 3 opportunities and took 1. After lineup changes we took a grip of the game and could / should have scored a couple. We didn’t do a poor performance became a very bad day for the players and fans. That’s football. Thanks again to stewards , other away fans and home fans for a good day out.

Sorry Rascal but, What game were you at?

Although Montrose were less than good, they were far better than us. They were first to every second ball and, for the most part, passed the ball through us to someone wearing the same strip. They seldom punted the ball up the park and defended resolutely the few times they needed to.

Conversely. We could hardly string two passes together and resorted to punting the ball up the park which usually ended up in Montrose's possession or out of play.

13 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Sorry Rascal but, What game were you at?

Although Montrose were less than good, they were far better than us. They were first to every second ball and, for the most part, passed the ball through us to someone wearing the same strip. They seldom punted the ball up the park and defended resolutely the few times they needed to.

Conversely. We could hardly string two passes together and resorted to punting the ball up the park which usually ended up in Montrose's possession or out of play.

Same game. Nothing I have said contradicts your account. One was expressed positively and the other negatively. One of the joys of being a football fan and on the forum. Each opinion is just that, an opinion. The fact that matters here was the final score. Not good.

Pride myself on considering all view points and perspectives and on being able to articulate my point in a manner that is inclusive, however that was pish today. Passing was woeful/pish,  formation/players were clueless/pish, up front we were just pish. I know it's early in the season but it's just as early for the part timers of montrose. Pish!

One of our two competitions we can possibily compete for or make a few bob from and for the second year in a row we may have blown it straight away. Every season I ask where are the goals coming from? Defence also looks much weaker than last season. Hopefully still one or two to come in.

5 minutes ago, guinness said:

One of our two competitions we can possibily compete for or make a few bob from and for the second year in a row we may have blown it straight away. Every season I ask where are the goals coming from? Defence also looks much weaker than last season. Hopefully still one or two to come in.

We haven't blown it...yet! If we win the rest of the games we'll go through.

1 hour ago, W6er said:

We haven't blown it...yet! If we win the rest of the games we'll go through.

Next up is Arbroath at home. Tickets bought but only 3 out of the six of us going to this one. If it wasn’t a big game before - it is now! First home game and a must win. No pressure! COYS

2 hours ago, Warrior Saint said:

A must win🤣🤣🤣wee Stevie said in his interview after game its still pre-season, which is what these games are, league is our priority so calm down....

These kind of results  can be the difference  between  buying a season  ticket  or not ,we should be pumping  teams like  these, pre season or not!

45 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

These kind of results  can be the difference  between  buying a season  ticket  or not ,we should be pumping  teams like  these, pre season or not!

Yeah, we should be pumping these teams although perhaps we’re guilty of underestimating them.

Whatever the reason we must win on Tuesday!

32 minutes ago, Hunterian said:

Yeah, we should be pumping these teams although perhaps we’re guilty of underestimating them.

Whatever the reason we must win on Tuesday!

Tuesday?

I wasn't at the game so can't comment on much. However from what I am hearing we seem to have the same issue as we did last year when favourites for a game (Dundee cup game and Killie at home as good examples) we just do not know how to handle a team when we are favourites and playing against teams that we should beat. 

Looking forward to Saturday and expecting a reaction. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

While it was only one game today, and he's no Harry Kane, writing players off on one poor performance isn't the best idea mate. 

I’m quite sure a good few were thinking the same last week, he definitely looked a lot sharper and more mobile today. If we bring this other striker in that’s seemingly agreed and possible another left wing back then I will be quite happy.

Another keeper will be brought in once Carson goes. 

Premature, I know, but thinking about who we could get in the next round. Of course, we still have to beat Forfar and I do not wish to tempt fate by suggesting that's a foregone conclusion. However:

It looks as though Ayr will finish top of Group A. If Partick Thistle can beat Spartans at home, they will finish top of Group B. If Hamilton win they will top Group C and I would expect Livingston to finish the group with 10 points, regardless, so should qualify as one of the three second placed teams to progress. Ross County should win their group, as they host Kelty Hearts on Saturday, not sure if 9 points will be enough for Morton to go through, though. I would expect Airdrieonians to do enough away to Bonnyrigg to finish highest in Group E, as they only need a draw. Kilmarnock should surely do the job in Coatbridge, which would see them finish first in Group F*. Motherwell are clear favourites to win Group G, with a home game against East Fife on Saturday ensuring their progression. 

So, we have:

Aberdeen

Airdrieonians

Ayr Utd

Celtic

Hamilton

Hearts

Hibs

Kilmarnock*

Livingston

Motherwell

Partick Thistle

Rangers

Ross County

+ the two other runners up. 

*Killie have just conceded and it may be Raith Rovers who go through.