St Johnstone v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 6/12/23

shull

Lose at the weekend and my prediction is, we’re rooted to the bottom six by January  

That argument relies on the current bottom six winning enough points to overtake us which is unlikely.

The last 4 full season third place team has won either 17,18 or 19 matches.

The relegated team has won 5,6,7 & 8 in that period.

The play off team has won 8,9 & 10 in that period.

The teams from 4th to 10th always win roughly 10-14 matches.

We have already won 6 matches in 16 everyone below us has won 2-5 considering they are only likely to win another 5 each until end of season pretty sure we'll still be easily be top 6 come winter break as one of them would really need 3/4 victories in 6 matches remaining in December for us to be rooted to bottom 6 that isn't going to happen.

Sent from my T610K using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

I take it that was a joke 

Why would it be a joke ? it’s a fact. Like I said Mandron is the only striker who looks capable of scoring (as evidenced below) so offloading him in January would not be a wise move IMO.

3204120C-CF66-439D-BDCB-D765C7F24C56.jpeg

Edited by ALBIONSAINT
Spelling

26 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Why would it be a joke ? it’s a fact. Like I said Mandron is the only striker who looks capable of scoring (as evidenced below) so offloading him in January would not be a wise move IMO.

3204120C-CF66-439D-BDCB-D765C7F24C56.jpeg

I've had this debate in another thread, He's scored 3 league goals this season, 2 against a rock bottom St.Johnstone at the time, 

So that's 1 goal in the other 15 games and that goal came in the 2nd game of the League season on the 12th of Aug, were Christmas shopping now

He's not a goalscorer not at this level, 

Olasanya on loan at Arbroath scored 1 goal, and before he landed up here, he couldn't score for Gosport Borough, Billericay Town, or Champion's league outfit Cheshunt  :blink:  he's not scoring goals for us FFS.. 

Alex Greive is the only player who looks a natural poacher to me started the season really well then dropped, he's scored 2 league goals how many minutes has he had compared to Madron ? 

Nahmani who knows ??? 

We have 6 strikers on our books I'd much prefer to have 3 at double the wages who can give us more of a threat up top,  

Another loss, no goals scored which is the opposite from earlier in the season when we were scoring in almost every game.

How many goaks have we scired in the last 5 games? 

Always sore losing a late goal as it's a point lost which might be costly come the split.

Losing that early season feelgood factor.

They were the days. 🙄

We normally struggle in Perth but shaded it last night in a predictably crap game. Created the best chances but really poor finishing cost us.
Lack of concentration at the death was frustrating. Giving the cheap throw-in gave them the chance to cause chaos in the box and get their pen. Real sore one to take but we should be well up for it back at home to County at the weekend and be confident of a win. If we lose then it is time to start to worry. 

14 hours ago, Smithers Jones said:

Agree with this, but not Tanser. Thankfully he has been decent. O'hara last season was box to box, getting on the end of chances and between him and Baccus created the platform to move us forward. Hasn't happened this season. Baccus has to start, if fit, but I have no idea how we turn this run of form round, it's been awful.

Totally agree. Absolute nonsense to suggest Tanser has downed tools. Hew has literally been the one consistently good performer in our team this season.

14 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

When i had the temerity to suggest CBM wasn't contributing I was told on this forum that his play alongside Baccus was a thing of beauty and that O'Hara would not get back in ahead of him.

It's pretty clear that Baccus is the driving force in the middle and provides the spark (when it is there) and the other players don't know what to do without Gogic in midfield.  Jamieson was disappointing yet i still think he will do very well for us.

In all honesty, aside from home v the fakes we have been shit since that cup game at Easter road.

As for Mandron, he seems to lack the heart for a battle and all of a sudden Jon Obika looks like a goal machine again in comparison.  Instead of decorating lamposts maybe we should have a whip-round for Van Veen on loan in the new year

It's our perrenial problem, the opposition suss out both the tactics in the Robinson playbook and they know we can't score.  That means they only have to sit it out and hit us on the break in the way Dundee did so effectively against us.  

Very quickly, we need to go to 4 at the back or even 5 with 2 holding in midfield, but we don't have that many decent defenders in the squad.  If Robinson can figure out how to get the door closed at the back then fine, if not then he has the kind of trouble that very few managers can get themselves out of

I was thinking that the other day. That game was very much the start of the slide and the result at home to an abjectly poor St. Johnstone team was nothing more than a false dawn.

I've been looking over on P&B and I cannot believe the amount of people saying they thought we played ok last night. Honestly, what f**kin game were they watching?? It was a horrendous match contested by two horrendous teams incapable of playing any sort of cohesive football at any stage. The game should have finished 0-0 as no team deserved anything from it and I'd support a new rule that says when two teams serve up something as garbage as that, neither team gets any points. To think that either team actually gathered points from their performance last night is a travesty.

33 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Totally agree. Absolute nonsense to suggest Tanser has downed tools. Hew has literally been the one consistently good performer in our team this season.

I was thinking that the other day. That game was very much the start of the slide and the result at home to an abjectly poor St. Johnstone team was nothing more than a false dawn.

I've been looking over on P&B and I cannot believe the amount of people saying they thought we played ok last night. Honestly, what f**kin game were they watching?? It was a horrendous match contested by two horrendous teams incapable of playing any sort of cohesive football at any stage. The game should have finished 0-0 as no team deserved anything from it and I'd support a new rule that says when two teams serve up something as garbage as that, neither team gets any points. To think that either team actually gathered points from their performance last night is a travesty.

I beg to disagree, we played better last night than we did against County, where we certainly deserved to lose, but last night we were wasteful over the 98 minutes, where we created quite a number of chances, but you could see last year's problems re-surfacing where the so-called strikers were far from being accurate. Then along came the last minute and we panicked! We didn't however, over the 99 minutes played, deserve to lose.

I agree with your overall summary that the quality of the teams below Celtic and Rangers is very, very poor and if any one side has a reasonable player, they stand out against any of the other 9 in the league. It somewhat sums up why we managed to get so high in the league and we are still up there, despite having a run of pretty poor results. I would like to think that the league is better than the 4th tier of English football, but from what I've seen both live and on match highlights, it's not that much better!

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

I beg to disagree, we played better last night than we did against County, where we certainly deserved to lose, but last night we were wasteful over the 98 minutes, where we created quite a number of chances, but you could see last year's problems re-surfacing where the so-called strikers were far from being accurate. Then along came the last minute and we panicked! We didn't however, over the 99 minutes played, deserve to lose.

I agree with your overall summary that the quality of the teams below Celtic and Rangers is very, very poor and if any one side has a reasonable player, they stand out against any of the other 9 in the league. It somewhat sums up why we managed to get so high in the league and we are still up there, despite having a run of pretty poor results. I would like to think that the league is better than the 4th tier of English football, but from what I've seen both live and on match highlights, it's not that much better!

Yeah we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one mate.

I thought we were absolutely shocking last night and considerably worse than we were against County. I think you have to factor in that County (IMO) are a far better team than that horrendous St. Johnstone side. You’re comparing apples with apples and I don’t think that’s the case. 

An absolute testament to our current form that we couldn’t even manage a draw against that shambles. 

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

The annoying thing is that it doesn't need to be this bad.  Thre majority of managers tend to pack their squads with experienced and very limited players with  a sprinkling of investment opportunities if they can get them and the only way to really grow the quality is through youth, which isn't happening on a big enough scale in Scotland.

The quality of our game should be on  par with similar sized countries and it's really not, all down to managerial culture and boardroom risk-aversion arising from the unfair split of external revenue as the millstone that is dragging our game down

Edited by beyond our ken

3 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Aberdeen have had some reasonable results in Europe this year. They lost 2-1 away to Eintracht Frankfurt, but played pretty well. They have had two draws with the Finnish champions and drew 2-2 out in Greece (see Jamie McGrath's free kick, btw) and were unlucky to lose to PAOK at home.

Certainly, we can play some good football. I actually thought we played reasonably well at Ibrox.

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

An absolute testament to our current form that we couldn’t even manage a draw against that shambles. 

In both games we deserved a draw, certainly according to most reasonable posts in last night's game and what I watched in the RC game. 

When you're not playing well, and overall we're not, things tend to go against you.

Look at Livingston who probably deserved a draw against us.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

In both games we deserved a draw, certainly according to most reasonable posts in last night's game and what I watched in the RC game. 

When you're not playing well, and overall we're not, things tend to go against you.

Look at Livingston who probably deserved a draw against us.

We didn’t deserve a draw against County. They hit the post, missed a 1 on 1 and we had our first attempt on 80 minutes. 

The fakes game should have been a victory if not for our profligacy.

2 minutes ago, Hunterian said:

We didn’t deserve a draw against County. They hit the post, missed a 1 on 1 and we had our first attempt on 80 minutes. 

The fakes game should have been a victory if not for our profligacy.

We did. 

Both teams were equally pish.

It had 0-0 written all over it. 

Can't comment on the St Johnstone game.