jimdickloyal

Speculation Thread

2 hours ago, insaintee said:

And yet historically we have lost players to all three teams (Add in Ross County and Kilmarncock) The problem teams like St Mirren have is that usually they have to re build every year and thus there is no traction. I'd be more concerned about keeping players than getting new ones. And to TBF it's not every season I've thought that. 

I think the club were actively trying to change the cycle by offering longer contracts under Goodwin so maybe this will better enable us to cope.

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I think the club were actively trying to change the cycle by offering longer contracts under Goodwin so maybe this will better enable us to cope.

I agree.  It was what was happening.

However, that may also now be a problem as those self-same players now have longer contracts at a time when they have no work to go to.

Earlier mismanagement might have been so much more economical in this circumstance.

On 4/26/2020 at 2:15 PM, FTOF said:

Why would we be losing Obika?

He's on a two year deal.

None of the teams you have mentioned could afford him, even if we were willing to sell, which I doubt we would be.

He's also a player who has recently expressed a desire to extend his time at the club.

If Obika had gone on and scored 15 league goals someone would have broken the bank for him. First they would tap him by "speaking to his agent" then  we'd hear, "there's no point keeping someone who does not want to be here." Then mysteriously there's a buy out clause.  Seen it all before. 

18 hours ago, antrin said:

I agree.  It was what was happening.

However, that may also now be a problem as those self-same players now have longer contracts at a time when they have no work to go to.

Earlier mismanagement might have been so much more economical in this circumstance.

Short term thinking 

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

Short term thinking 

Short term thinking during a pandemic is almost a practical necessity unless you have very long deep pockets.

Or have no qualms about spending other people's money.

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

If Obika had gone on and scored 15 league goals someone would have broken the bank for him. First they would tap him by "speaking to his agent" then  we'd hear, "there's no point keeping someone who does not want to be here." Then mysteriously there's a buy out clause.  Seen it all before. 

Relax, he didn't. :wink:

On 4/27/2020 at 4:58 PM, insaintee said:

Not a chance.

On 4/26/2020 at 12:50 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

I just hope that enough teams survive to form a league. I think football in general is going to look very different going forward, I can’t imagine overseas players returning to Scotland if there is any chance of Covid returning every winter. 

Football is going to look very different anyway, even before this. Brexit and the probable work permit regulations will essentially wipe out the ability of UK teams to sign players outwith the British Isles for all but the biggest clubs. 

I for one am all for clubs in respective countries having a better chance of keeping hold of players going forward. Maybe then, the elite clubs will not hoard players and young players from places like Holland, Netherlands, Belgium etc won't be swept up at 17 or 18 by clubs in Spain, Italy and England. Dare I say we might see clubs in countries like these actually being able to build sustainable and talented squads. 

The bleed down of that is that smaller clubs in Scotland might have more of a chance in holding onto young talent for significantly longer and building more long term. 

On 4/27/2020 at 4:58 PM, insaintee said:

If teams watched his goals this season would see about ten hit off him and deflected in, won’t be that lucky ever again...gives u 100% and that’s all u can ask.