The Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig Appreciation Thread

His substitutions and tactics after the sending off were absolutely spot-on.

Well done Danny.

I suspect he will leave in the Summer, and think he should, but I'll be very happy if he goes with his reputation very much intact.

Aye, whatever happens at the end of the season, Danny and Tommy deserve a great deal of credit for this recent run. I doubted whether they could muster up enough commitment from this squad of players. I was evidently talking shite.

I have realistic expectations of what St Mirren can achieve. I know that having a limited fanbase therefore limited commercial appeal (thus keeping our income stream modest) that we will be unlikely to be challenging for the league title.

It is clear that with the squad we have a the moment ( great on paper ) they have underachieved by some distance.

I think overall that being back in the top flight for many years now with 2 cup finals in last 4 years (winning 1 :) ) with the debt gone , having a purpose built stadium which we own with the academy/training facilities that we should appreciate our position as a stable well run ( within our means) club and I enjoy being in the enviable position that other clubs will not experience.

The odd crack at top six having won nothing or the last 5 years of what we have done ? I know which I prefer.

We have got what we wanted for many years , top flight football albeit with nervy ends to the season with bad runs inbetween :P but is that not what sport is all about ? Ups and downs ....................me ? I love it its what makes watching and `supporting` St Mirren what it is.

I`d much rather have what we have than some foreign investor who cares not a jot about our club and more about his own ego who would disappear into the night at the drop of a hat when the mood takes him.

Many people have played their part in where we are now , The Board , Mr Gilmour , Gus/Andy and Danny/Tommy , I thank them all, but managers / directors/players come and go.

This is our club we were here before any of them came along and we will be here long after they are gone , WE are ST MIRREN FC.

Enjoy it for what it is , take the good with the bad , savour the good bits , watch the last cup final or previous cup finals we were involved in , we all played our part but whoever leads St Mirren into next season , lets support them , win ,lose or draw ! In the meantime ? Thank you Danny and Tommy for our SPL status and our League cup win :)

Admire the fight from the team to management. Danny some of the signings have been terrible think it would help you cause to come out and admit it ( in some way ) however bringing on young ones to the first team squad is admiral

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

I've never really warmed to Lennon as our manager for some reason and, if the club wanted to part ways at the end of the season, there's enough ammo IMO.

That being said, if he finishes 7th the year after delivering a national cup then he's likely surpassed any targets the BOD set him and to be fair to him he probably deserves an extension.

Lessons would need to be learned though as we're already starting with a huge f**king handicap with that abortion of a strip next season. As somebody said to me today, "that's the sort of strip you get relegated in!" :-)

You learn from mistakes and DL has made many but he has also learned a great deal. I look at the other SPL managers and would I take Adams, Locke, Johnstone, Butcher, Archibald or Hughes as a replacement? No.

Minus points are his appaling transfer dealings however he has introduced Dilo, Naismith and Kelly and made McLean and Mcginn excellent players. So he is good with young players.

He did sign Goodwin, McGowan and Kello which were an excellent piece of business and Wyle and even Mcginnis may make regular starts next season. McGregor, Dummet and Newton were also good bits of business. I know the bad bits of business is long but at the end of the day he is turning things around and if we end up 7th on balance I would give him a new 1 year deal. I wasn't thinking that a couple of months ago but something has changed for the better and I think we would look very foolish if a manger that gives us the highest League placing in 25 years and wins us a national trophy gets the bullet.

Also add, he has been more interactive with the players, with his presents on the touch line. Which had been previously absent.

That's a lovely touch, buying aw the players gifts if they play well.

You learn from mistakes and DL has made many but he has also learned a great deal. I look at the other SPL managers and would I take Adams, Locke, Johnstone, Butcher, Archibald or Hughes as a replacement? No.

Minus points are his appaling transfer dealings however he has introduced Dilo, Naismith and Kelly and made McLean and Mcginn excellent players. So he is good with young players.

He did sign Goodwin, McGowan and Kello which were an excellent piece of business and Wyle and even Mcginnis may make regular starts next season. McGregor, Dummet and Newton were also good bits of business. I know the bad bits of business is long but at the end of the day he is turning things around and if we end up 7th on balance I would give him a new 1 year deal. I wasn't thinking that a couple of months ago but something has changed for the better and I think we would look very foolish if a manger that gives us the highest League placing in 25 years and wins us a national trophy gets the bullet.

I wouldn't give him a new deal, but if he gets one it has to be for two years - one year suggests you're not really confident about his ability and will lead to calls for his removal at the first hint of bad results and by Xmas, at the latest, we'll be going through the should he stay or shoud he go process again.

Since the beginning of March we've lost 2 games and won or drawn the rest.

14 points since then.

We've lost to Celtic (unsurprisingly) and Dundee Utd in a game we were cruising in. Had we held on there we'd have had the same number of points since the start of March as St Johnstone.

Frankly I think this is exceptional.

If we can see out 7th it'll probably mean we've ended on a 7 game unbeaten streak?

No chance we can possibly replace a manager who has done that.

Danny has made huge mistakes this season but he has clearly turned it around.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - MOST IMPORTANTLY Danny and Tommy have done this with a team where 6 1st team regulars are 22 or under.

They've helped a bunch of kids turn near certain relegation into a fecking stroll whilst playing some fantastic football.

As non-OF fans we need to applaud that and we MUST reward the manager who has done it.

For me, it has to be a one year deal for Danny as a minimum. I'll be embarrassed if we let him go now.

What a fabulous end to the season.

Edited by oaksoft

I think most on this forum are constantly talking shit. Time to admit you were all wrong and get that man a new contract so he can build for next season.

Unfortunately , failing to build properly for this season is why he wont be here !

So are you saying he's not allowed to make mistakes?

Even if we finish 7th?

Frankly that's pretty childish.

To be fair it will be a pretty poor 7th if we manage it! Has their ever been as big a gap between the top six and the much of a muchness relegation fodder !

I noticed earlier you came away with a "what if" about the recent game at Tannadice , on the other hand , "what if" we hadn't been given that pen v Motherwell ?

IMO the board must already have a list of candidates who have expressed their interest

in the job, knowing that Danny's contract will soon be up..

Unless there are some outstanding names on that list I don't think the board will have any

other option than to offer Danny a one year contract, especially when their desperate to sell

the club, and wont commit to any long term deals..

It wouldn't upset me in the slightest, he's surely earned it....

Like I said earlier, I've never been his biggest fan but, tbh, I don't really give a shit about that as long as the team perform. You should be judged where you finish a season and if we finish 7th, irrespective of the gap between that and 6th then that has to be viewed as success for us.

I'm pretty sure fans of all, and I mean ALL, clubs can bitch and moan as we all have about crap signings, ridiculous tactical decisions and shite performances throughout the season, so we're no different really.

At the end of the year I'm pretty sure Danny will need to sit down with the BOD, explain what went wrong at times this year and present his plan to improve next season, hopefully giving us a crack at the top 6. If that goes well then I guess he'll still be in charge. If not........

We've not scored enough and conceded too many. Not a good combination and with many likely to leave we're rebuilding again so, if the lessons of last close season have been learned and the obvious weaknesses in the side understood I don't see why we should roll the dice and take a chance on another untried manager at this level as, let's be honest, that's what we'd be looking at.

Also, if he stays it needs to be a 2 year deal. 12 months doesn't demonstrate any confidence and makes it difficult to attract players who look for a bit of stability before deciding a move.

Edited by DLBud

To be fair it will be a pretty poor 7th if we manage it! Has their ever been as big a gap between the top six and the much of a muchness relegation fodder !

I noticed earlier you came away with a "what if" about the recent game at Tannadice , on the other hand , "what if" we hadn't been given that pen v Motherwell ?

Aw FFS. Do you seriously need to do this? You are picking and picking and picking at a team crammed full of teenagers and people barely in their twenties who have developed the bottle to remain positive when people like you have been on their backs since before a ball was kicked. You were bashing your gums during pre-season defeats to QOS and Morton FFS (what happened to them BTW remind me?).

Personally I think this is a fantastic season.

There can't be many unhappy Saints fans right now.

Bigger teams than us are sitting below us and you are still not happy.

The "what if" is irrelevant. Both yours and mine.

Like I said earlier, I've never been his biggest fan but, tbh, I don't really give a shit about that as long as the team perform. You should be judged where you finish a season and if we finish 7th, irrespective of the gap between that and 6th then that has to be viewed as success for us.

I'm pretty sure fans of all, and I mean ALL, clubs can bitch and moan as we all have about crap signings, ridiculous tactical decisions and shite performances throughout the season, so we're no different really.

At the end of the year I'm pretty sure Danny will need to sit down with the BOD, explain what went wrong at times this year and present his plan to improve next season, hopefully giving us a crack at the top 6. If that goes well then I guess he'll still be in charge. If not........

We've not scored enough and conceded too many. Not a good combination and with many likely to leave we're rebuilding again so, if the lessons of last close season have been learned and the obvious weaknesses in the side understood I don't see why we should roll the dice ns drake a chance on another untried manager at this level as, let's be honest, that's what we'd be looking at.

Also, if he stays it needs to be a 2 year deal. 12 months doesn't demonstrate any confidence and makes it difficult to attract players who look for a bit of stability before deciding a move.

In fairness most players are on 12 month contracts these days so a 12 month for Danny would be fine.

We're going to look like twats though if he decides to reject any offer we make wink.png .