St Mirren V Celtic League Cup Semi Final

shull

Brilliant game today, absolutely brilliant. The William Hill girl told me Goncalves was 14-1, had that moment where you think "you know what, he just could" then also thought "I remember thinking that something like at THE Final" so just joked with her about how much they had 7-0 to Celtic at instead of jinxing things with a bet. Everything I had on today is now tagged as lucky, with some items even in danger of never being washed ever again.

Very impressed with Carey, if he continues like that then it proves players can adapt and coaches can make a difference. Newton's play, after taking a booking, was great and he still steamed in fairly a few times. Cheesy's cross, whatever has possessed Teale lately, McGowan back on form, Thommo living the dreams we all have, Goodwin at the back, Samson commanding his area and everything else was just f**king immense.

Roll on Wednesday and the rest of the season.

What a day. Proud as punch to be a Bud for the day and see my home town team beat Celtic to reach the league cup final. 2 years I've been in paisley and its great that you guys have this to look forward to. Lennon seems to be bringing a pride back to paisley in the team where black n white can be seen before green and blue.

I don't know why, but I could only see a st mirren victory, there was just something in the air pre match. So many around me thought they were just turning up for the usual beating. Today felt different to me.

Dropped of our daughter at the folks in the Mearns and my dad gave me and the good lady a lift down. Into clockwork pre match, very few faces I recognised, but one stood out, my friend George Carbajosa from school, top lad and has hardly changed.

Arriving at hampden I was starting to get right up for it, maybe soaking it all in, so when thistle get there, I won't be like a rabbit in the headlights, scared by the home of Scottish football.

The game itself was perfectly played and Lennon got his tactics spot on, hit them early, get out the traps and get an early goal. After that, the saints soaked it up, playing tight between the 18 yard line and centre circle left nowhere for Celtic to go, at every opportunity st mirren tripled up, surrounding Celtic players, nipping at the heels, non more so than gowser who ran himself into the ground.

The saints were going in at half time level pegging, but out playing a Celtic team who seemed to think they just had to turn up for the win.

The second half carried on like the first, st mirren chasing everything down and getting the ball into the wide spaces, Teale was having a field day down th right. Every time the ball went in celtics box they shat it, panicked, hoofing it anywhere, now it was saints turn to camp in their half. Playing tidy football, making Celtic chase shadows.

Two great goals and before you know it, the place is going mental. A deserved win, st mirren had gone to celtics "second home" and beat them at their own game, but with a bit to spare.

Stand outs for me were cheesy, Goodwin, gowser, Newton and Thomson. The spine of the team. They all were solid, tough and calm, playing football how it should be played. Add to that Teale who had maybe his best game in a saints shirt, Carey who is learning how to be a defender and vanzy who can play a wee bit of football.

It's all the heartache that teams like ours go through, that make days like today all the sweeter, appreciate it, enjoy it. Get behind your team at every game right up to the final, no matter how they play, or what the score is, give them your backing, cause it might be that extra fist pump or cheer that gives them that wee bit more come march.

When this team clicks, they are a great team, Have a great day tomorrow folks, get it right up your colleagues, and save me a seat at the final.

Edited by dave.j

Watched the game again there and it did happen ! - we were f*cken awesome today thumbup2.gif - have to admit I was in tears of joy after that goal by Thomo and reading through the thread it appears I was not alone.

Well done Saints and everyone that was there today - fans really made themselves heard. punk.gif

I think all the doom and gloom worked in our favour in the end.

The reality is that our record against Celtic isn't really any worse than loads of other teams against them (e.g. last five SPL games: Celtic 18-1 Hearts).

We've also had some decent contests with Celtic (e.g. Neil Lennon invading the pitch after an injury time winner), but the 'park the bus' game and this season's Greenhill Road fiasco turned today's game into a David v Goliath job in peoples' minds, even though Celtic have been shipping points left right and centre to SPL also-rans this season.

It won't do us any harm if Hearts think they only have to turn up as well.

Firstly, Carey where did those challenges come from? Goodwin lead by example, Goncalves worked his socks off, Mcginn composed beyond his years, Teale now the player we know he can be, Mcausland came of age and Thompson, i said on twitter, a St Mirren fan, a St Mirren player, a St Mirren legend and a gentleman.

Every player and the fans gave their all and got everything they deserved today, im always proud to be a buddie no matter what but today just made me that little bit prouder.

Has Tommy Craig explained what the f*ck he was doing trapping the ball to let Celtic take a quick throw in when we were on the back foot just before half-time?

He wouldn't make it as a ball boy at Swansea.

He was just showing neil lennon how to control a ball, cause evidently neil lennon has lost the ability to!

The commentator during the match said that Thompson and Teale are Saints fans. Well , big Stevie's alliegance is well documented but I didn't know about Gary . His radio interview would cetainly seem to confirm it. .

Aye, I caught that too. I just assumed the commentator is a clueless balloon, but there might be something in it I suppose.

I was great to see how caught up in the emotion all the players were today. Even the loanees were clearly buzzing, with big Isma going mental when Sir Steven of Thommohawk scored his goal.

Each and every one of them conducted themselves like St Mirren supporters this afternoon.

Edited by Drew

Let's all do the Goody, let's all do the Goody nana na na, nana na na clap.gif

Oh my head rip.gifbangin.gif

Thommo wub.png , a fan on the pitch. McAusland, WTF big man ? Superb today,another fan on the pitch. Teale Man of the match performance. McGinn, What a talent. Newton, superb dig big man, gave their midfield a battle they are not used to. Graeme Carey, tackled like a demon today. Ginga Ninja,donatello.gif great save at the pen and took crosses in the box taking the pressure off the defence, brilliant.

Ismael Concalves, he scores when he wants boldred.gif

Watched it again on TV there and listened to the radio interviewes. This is what makes us St Mirren and proud to be Buddies.

I doubted danny also after the rc game, however he got it spot on today, and he has made two good signings in Goncalves and Newton, he has done extremely well and has made our season getting us through to the league cup final, whatever happens in the SPL you cannot take this away from Danny Lennon, cheers danny. thumbup2.gif

There was me thinking you reckon Danny should be sackd because of his post-match interviews?

The commentator during the match said that Thompson and Teale are Saints fans. Well , big Stevie's alliegance is well documented but I didn't know about Gary . His radio interview would cetainly seem to confirm it. .

Gary is an Ayr United man I believe and still stays in Ayr. He just loves black & white :)