Danny Says No More Signings

Who are these people expecting us to sign? How high up the league are you expecting us to finish?

Winning a cup like last season or scraping into Europe is a rare but great occurance for a club our size.

I could understand holding off until we'd made some big signings if you were a Chelsea, Man Utd or even OF fan, but they're St Mirren fans. We won't ever be much bigger than the club is right now. We won't be paying loads of money for players ever again.

We were always going to sign some guys that were about our level and that was it.

I get we are a small club but going into

A preseason schedule with out a left back and 1 striker is criminal no matter what level your at

The knicker wetting has to stop - criminal? What an over-reaction! There are loads of quality players up for grabs still - why pay a wage for a month (possibly 8 grand if it was a top guy) when we dont actually need him yet? We have one meaningful league game till the 17th Aug - we have plenty of time to get the guys in we need.

its these 2-3000 "followers" we need to convince to get down and spend their money, diehards are the back bone , but for us to suceed we need more bums on seats,I know at least 6 people waiting to see if we get more players in , the kids don t convince them that our season will not be another relegation battle

Hearts ask folk to buy season tickets as they are at death's door. And their supporters respond.

St. Mirren has Brian Caldwell informing us that every extra penny that we receive in season ticket revenue goes to Danny to strengthen the squad.

Yet, after our first ever League Cup win, we have folk waiting to see what others who have already cashed in pensions/bought shares/worked tirelessly do.

Unless these followers become supporters and "invest" in a season ticket then St. Mirren can only go down the route that SGG is following at the moment. And I, for one, am glad of that.

Hearts ask folk to buy season tickets as they are at death's door. And their supporters respond.

St. Mirren has Brian Caldwell informing us that every extra penny that we receive in season ticket revenue goes to Danny to strengthen the squad.

Yet, after our first ever League Cup win, we have folk waiting to see what others who have already cashed in pensions/bought shares/worked tirelessly do.

Unless these followers become supporters and "invest" in a season ticket then St. Mirren can only go down the route that SGG is following at the moment. And I, for one, am glad of that.

Perhaps if it was put in lamens terms - the fans would respond better. 500 more season tickets means a new striker of similar quality to Thompson - 400 means a new winger in the style of Gary Teale - no extra means we will be trying to re-sign a Mo Camara type character.

Spot on. The more season tickets we can sell, the more budget Danny will be given to spend.

Those choosing not to buy because of the lack of signings are actually one of the root causes why we can't sign many players.

Egg. Chicken.

Money is hard to come by for season tkts Div, Lots of people want to try and pick and choose home games because our home form the past two season has been a shambles, Not all rich like you my friend,

Money is hard to come by for season tkts Div, Lots of people want to try and pick and choose home games because our home form the past two season has been a shambles, Not all rich like you my friend,

Bit harsh. The point I made was that there were people who are CHOOSING not to buy season tickets because of a lack of signings, not because they can't afford it.

I'm well aware that a lot of fans prefer to pick and choose and not just because of financial reasons either, not having a go at all.

Yeah and Ross county have signed Saunders of Motherwell, yet another player who could've done a job for us, Scotland cap as well!

Plenty of people on here urging Saints to wait until end of July/start of August before signing any 'big name' players so we can avoid a few weeks wages. I'm aware this could mount up to a few thousand but unless we sign them up now they will go to a club that are willing to start paying now. Simple.

Bit harsh. The point I made was that there were people who are CHOOSING not to buy season tickets because of a lack of signings, not becuase they can't afford it.

I'm well aware that a lot of fans prefer to pick and choose and not just because of financial reasons either, not having a go at all.

Wasn't saying you were having a go mate, its just times are tough and lets be honest so far the signings have not been that great,

Anyway heres the team of to training camp,

post-1917-0-22135300-1373298275_thumb.jp

post-1917-0-43074600-1373298293_thumb.jp

post-1917-0-31084000-1373298257_thumb.jp

Any chance we have arranged for a couple of overseas players to join the squad over there?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Black & White Army mobile app

Unless we hid them away in the squad photie...

There's a journalist with them called Ronnie MacKay who says he will update us with news of any trialists.

what would make you buy a season ticket??

Hmm, probably nothing now, to be honest.

Now that I've given it up, I wouldn't get a seat with my mates, so would be stuck elsewhere in the stadium. I also like to sit in different parts of the ground from time to time, so don't see the benefit of sitting in a set seat on my own.

I initially gave my seat up because I was beginning to find that slavishly going to matches every fortnight was becoming a bit of a chore. That was a few years ago mind, and I'm not sure if I would do the same now. As I say, though, I never considered not renewing my ST on the basis of which players came and went.

As it goes, I probably attend around 80%+ of home matches, so, in reality, spend about as much going to SMP as I would with a season ticket. The difference being, I'm not 'investing' this up front, and I can understand why the club would like to see more STs sold.

both qualified for europe and their income from the SPL was hundreds of thousands more than us

Both clubs actually missed out on Europe, with ICT finishing 4th and Ross County finishing 5th. St Johnstone got the lastEuropean place for finishing 3rd. So ICT and Ross County won nothing last year in terms of trophies or European places, and can only really get excited about the achievement of finishing 'top 6'.

I'm not really that jealous on missing out on top 6.

Hmm, probably nothing now, to be honest.

Now that I've given it up, I wouldn't get a seat with my mates, so would be stuck elsewhere in the stadium. I also like to sit in different parts of the ground from time to time, so don't see the benefit of sitting in a set seat on my own.

I initially gave my seat up because I was beginning to find that slavishly going to matches every fortnight was becoming a bit of a chore. That was a few years ago mind, and I'm not sure if I would do the same now. As I say, though, I never considered not renewing my ST on the basis of which players came and went.

As it goes, I probably attend around 80%+ of home matches, so, in reality, spend about as much going to SMP as I would with a season ticket. The difference being, I'm not 'investing' this up front, and I can understand why the club would like to see more STs sold.

I'm similar to you Drew in that I attend the vast majority of home games but gave my ST up the season after we moved to the new stadium.

It was a combination of being bored with the football Gus was serving up and getting a seat that wasn't to my liking in the new stadium. Plus my boy was away for a year so we'd have had to get different seats when he came back and at that time there weren't any to our liking.

There simply aren't as many seats that give you a good view of the match in the new ground as there were at Love Street so there were always going to be winners and losers in that respect and I'm not griping about it.

However I enjoy the view from the rear of W6 and can sit with my mate and son up there. The trouble is you can't sit there at certain matches when the club lets the away fans have W6 and W7.

I would now be happy to let the club have my cash up front but not for a seat that I don't want to sit in for those matches. I would be prepared to buy a season ticket for W6 at a reduced price in the knowledge that it wouldn't cover certain games, or even at full price if they were happy to guarantee my choice of remaining seats (but I'd want at least 2 so I'm not sitting on my own) for matches where W6 is out of bounds. I recognise that might be a bit of an admin nightmare for the club but it might help to shift more season tickets?

I would now be happy to let the club have my cash up front but not for a seat that I don't want to sit in for those matches. I would be prepared to buy a season ticket for W6 at a reduced price in the knowledge that it wouldn't cover certain games, or even at full price if they were happy to guarantee my choice of remaining seats (but I'd want at least 2 so I'm not sitting on my own) for matches where W6 is out of bounds. I recognise that might be a bit of an admin nightmare for the club but it might help to shift more season tickets?

You dont want much do you? Why not demand a foot massage at half time and a cup holder for your seat?

I'm similar to you Drew in that I attend the vast majority of home games but gave my ST up the season after we moved to the new stadium.

It was a combination of being bored with the football Gus was serving up and getting a seat that wasn't to my liking in the new stadium. Plus my boy was away for a year so we'd have had to get different seats when he came back and at that time there weren't any to our liking.

There simply aren't as many seats that give you a good view of the match in the new ground as there were at Love Street so there were always going to be winners and losers in that respect and I'm not griping about it.

However I enjoy the view from the rear of W6 and can sit with my mate and son up there. The trouble is you can't sit there at certain matches when the club lets the away fans have W6 and W7.

Absolutely. Folk might remember I posted a thread relating to an idea surrounding a card that can be pre-loaded with matches etc. If I can find the thread I'll edit this post later with the link.

Anyway, I recently emailed Brian Caldwell who had initially been quite keen to explore the option with a view to establishing whether he had given it any more thought, but I haven't heard back. The idea seemed quite popular, so this could be a(nother) missed opportunity for the club.

ETA:

link to thread mentioned above:

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/34859-possible-new-ticketing-initiative/?hl=%2Bticketing+%2Binitiative

Edited by Drew

You dont want much do you? Why not demand a foot massage at half time and a cup holder for your seat?

Too much to ask?

Hardly. If the club want people to turn up routinely, they should be prepared to think creatively.

Sorry, I had skim read and didnt realise it was in the area where opposition fans get - I guess perhaps not in hindsight but usually these seats are quite easy to sit in anyway if they are not assigned season tickets, just turn up a few minutes before the crowds appear.

Further to my post above that reprises the 'charge-card' idea, I can say here and now that if there was an option to have such a card just now, I'd happily pay say £110 or thereabouts to load the first half dozen matches onto it. Save me queuing on matchdays, and would give me a small discount (about £1.50 per match), while the club would benefit from some up-front cash. I wouldn't have a specific seat, but would take my place just as I would on matchdays if I pay at the gate. Ideally, there would be some flexibility as to which stand the card could be used for, though I appreciate this complicates matters a bit.

TBH, this doesn't seem too challenging an idea.

Further to my post above that reprises the 'charge-card' idea, I can say here and now that if there was an option to have such a card just now, I'd happily pay say £110 or thereabouts to load the first half dozen matches onto it. Save me queuing on matchdays, and would give me a small discount (about £1.50 per match), while the club would benefit from some up-front cash. I wouldn't have a specific seat, but would take my place just as I would on matchdays if I pay at the gate. Ideally, there would be some flexibility as to which stand the card could be used for, though I appreciate this complicates matters a bit.

TBH, this doesn't seem too challenging an idea.

No, that is a good idea, i guess it depends on how this is managed - if people pay by credit card then its going to cost the club 2-3% nominally to implement although they currently do have the £1 per transaction to cover things.