St Mirren V Aberdeen Top League 15/2/14

shull

Fairly typical display, a lot poorer than we would have hoped for, but we didn't do any worse than Aberdeen on the day and I don't think we deserved to come away with no points and the Dons didn't deserve 3 points. That's just our fate at the moment.

Dj-Dj was guilty of a needless and ridiculously risky challenge. Penalty or not, the jury is out on his status as hero or villain.

DL is still a rabbit in the headlights. Clueless and tactically naive. With every game that passes it is becoming clearer that we won the League Cup last season despite him rather than because of him. A lucky, timely signing of Isma Gonzalves got us through the semi and the final. His other signings have been bawz.

Let's hope we don't get relegated before he leaves in May.

Ive often wondered....did DL miss any chances in front of goal? i mean...is he wholly responsible

did the manager foul the opposing player in the box?

yes...i totally understand there have been some bad signings...but good ones too...ALSO we have some fantastic prospects (mcginn,nesmith,kelly and mclean) all down to his good work on the training field

correct me if im wrong..but...has thommo(the legend) not missed a sitter in the last 4 games?

maybe the 24 people in here out of the 3,000 regular people who attend the games are more clued up!!!

dressing room bust ups

hitler esk persona

my way or the highway

things ive heard from the "clued up" people in here who may or may not be "in the know"

either way..in my mind im as frustrated as each and every one of you...as a saints fan we are hurting together(i hope) god know we alllllll know what hurt feel like over the years(some more than others)

there is wayyy tooo much "looking into your crystal balls" syndrome.....foreseeing DOOM and GLOOM

we allll know its the saints way....its how we roll (unfortunately for us)but we have to live with it...we have done for years....and well you know it

how about being positive till the end of the season for a change and support both the team and management

deep down you know it makes sense (and would be a first for some of you grumpy b@stards) flowers.gif

I had the St Mirren game and the Sunderland game showing on two large screen tellies at the same time this afternoon. It didn't take too long before I'd lost all interest in the offering from Greenhill Road. The match was absolutely dire. Aberdeen looked like low quality shit, the played very little football and their whole game plan seemed to revolve around getting the ball forward to McGinn and Pawlett as quickly as possible - and St Mirren looked even worse with very little game plan. Am I right in saying that St Mirren's first on target - and possibly only on target effort on goal was in the 87th minute?

The Sunderland game was hardly a thrill a minute either but at least there was some quality in that game. Thank f**k I don't go to many top flight Scottish games these days.

Ive often wondered....did DL miss any chances in front of goal? i mean...is he wholly responsible

did the manager foul the opposing player in the box?

yes...i totally understand there have been some bad signings...but good ones too...ALSO we have some fantastic prospects (mcginn,nesmith,kelly and mclean) all down to his good work on the training field

correct me if im wrong..but...has thommo(the legend) not missed a sitter in the last 4 games?

maybe the 24 people in here out of the 3,000 regular people who attend the games are more clued up!!!

dressing room bust ups

hitler esk persona

my way or the highway

things ive heard from the "clued up" people in here who may or may not be "in the know"

either way..in my mind im as frustrated as each and every one of you...as a saints fan we are hurting together(i hope) god know we alllllll know what hurt feel like over the years(some more than others)

there is wayyy tooo much "looking into your crystal balls" syndrome.....foreseeing DOOM and GLOOM

we allll know its the saints way....its how we roll (unfortunately for us)but we have to live with it...we have done for years....and well you know it

how about being positive till the end of the season for a change and support both the team and management

deep down you know it makes sense (and would be a first for some of you grumpy b@stards) flowers.gif

Hard to be positive when we are on yet another long winless run.

Today was dreadful no abuse or encouragement from the stands.

Just an apathy about the club we were waiting for a mistake to happen because it's a regular occurence

Talking about Thommo he has missed a few chances but no one else has.

No one comes close to scoring these days

After the goal we played better/more direct than in the previous 70 odd minutes? blink.png

I was meaning the reaction right after the penalty was scored .... heads were down looking at turf, nobody wanting to take responsibilty - looked like they didn't really give a f*ck. Didn't really think we were that much better after that to be honest, Aberdeen sat back and we lofted balls up in the general direction of Thompson and hoped. We had one shot in 87th minute and they probably should have scored a second on the break. We can dress it up however we like - that wasn't a great Aberdeen team today and we lost at home ....again !

Hard to be positive when we are on yet another long winless run.

Today was dreadful no abuse or encouragement from the stands.

Just an apathy about the club we were waiting for a mistake to happen because it's a regular occurence

Talking about Thommo he has missed a few chances but no one else has.

No one comes close to scoring these days

nail on head...."WHY IS IT HARD TO BE POSITIVE"

totally understand how you feel btw

but if ever there was a time????

i don't understand why people like you hiding behind a keyboard can't just either agree or disagree without having to have a dig at the poster If you read my post I said more positives about mcginn who is by far my favourite player at the club

It's called banter... sorry if I hurt your sensitive feelings!!!!!!!

I had the St Mirren game and the Sunderland game showing on two large screen tellies at the same time this afternoon. It didn't take too long before I'd lost all interest in the offering from Greenhill Road. The match was absolutely dire. Aberdeen looked like low quality shit, the played very little football and their whole game plan seemed to revolve around getting the ball forward to McGinn and Pawlett as quickly as possible - and St Mirren looked even worse with very little game plan. Am I right in saying that St Mirren's first on target - and possibly only on target effort on goal was in the 87th minute?

The Sunderland game was hardly a thrill a minute either but at least there was some quality in that game. Thank f**k I don't go to many top flight Scottish games these days.

amen, said the crowd! tongue.png

i don't understand why people like you hiding behind a keyboard can't just either agree or disagree without having to have a dig at the poster If you read my post I said more positives about mcginn who is by far my favourite player at the club

oh... and no hiding... pm me and I'll gladly meet up with you at the next home game for a chat about all things Saints!

"people like me" I'm not so sure what you are getting at... I am a Saints fan who tells it as I see it, enjoys a bit of banter and likes to engage with other Saints fans! (ps... I still think your original post was worthy of the daily record!!!) tongue.png

Maybe I had hospitality wine glass goggles on... but I thought we weren't that bad and managed to make a good Aberdeen side look positively ordinary. We deserved a draw.

Defence looked solid and Goodwin had a great game... booking was a travesty yet again.

McGinn was the best player on the pitch by the distance between the two teams respective home-towns!!!

Eric double D did the simple things really well and his passing was exceptional... always for a player to run onto. The stupid lunge for the foul outside the box that was interpreted as a penalty was due to tiredness... a match fit DD wouldn't do that.

Newton had a few poor crosses at the start but went on to have a decent game... though I really can't see the point in playing him ahead of Naismith... it didn't add to our play... but didn't detract either thankfully.

McLean looked hungry and made plenty good runs... but the passes never quite found him. I feel that is a role he will go on to make his own... reminds me so much of a young Billy Stark.

Gowser had two men on him at all times as McInnes had done his homework... I think Wylde could have made more use of that if he had concentrated on the game rather than petty one-upmanship with his former team-mates!!!

Campbell for McGowan I didn't mind... but it should have been a double substitution with Teale on for Wylde at the same time.

Not a disaster of a day due to other results... and not an awful game either. In isolation, I could accept today... but it did nothing to redress our awful form long-term!

I'm giving up on this club. If this is what we can expect then f*** that for a laugh - I'm off to the cinema.

Lennon got his team right the day, can't blame him for that, obviously listened to me when I said play newton at right back

I wouldn't say he got it right as McGowan was lost, McLean didn't really create from his advanced position and Thompson was isolated all day. If you then look at the tactics, we had Thompson constantly wide, McGowan drifting inside, Wylde doing next to nothing, nobody showing for McGinn and constant long balls. Maybe Danny has taken a blow to the head, but he seems to think we have 7ft tall greyhounds all over the park. We can't pass, we can't press, we can't create, can't win second balls and can't win. We're a shadow of what Danny tried to install, our identity is bland pathetic football.

I wouldn't say he got it right as McGowan was lost, McLean didn't really create from his advanced position and Thompson was isolated all day. If you then look at the tactics, we had Thompson constantly wide, McGowan drifting inside, Wylde doing next to nothing, nobody showing for McGinn and constant long balls. Maybe Danny has taken a blow to the head, but he seems to think we have 7ft tall greyhounds all over the park. We can't pass, we can't press, we can't create, can't win second balls and can't win. We're a shadow of what Danny tried to install, our identity is bland pathetic football.

yes and how did Goodwin do today?

It's not a role that particularly requires fitness.. especially with 2 central midfielders in front of him.

Well , the proof is in the pudding , and his alarming lack of fitness was an important factor in the defeat culminating in his lazy lunge at the pen !

He is a great young player but does get caught on then ball like you said.

I commented in this thread during the game that he's a bit of a one trick pony with the way he turns on the ball. Aberdeen caught onto this and should have scored a second when Rooney was 1 on 1 with Kello, had he squared it we would have been 2 down.

He played some great passes today though with both feet. Definitely a star in the making. Still learning and will get better.

So was Cruyff with that turn of his,

Didnae dae much else.

So was Cruyff with that turn of his,

Didnae dae much else.

I've a notion Cruyff scored a handful of goals but time plays tricks with the memory. McGinn did get caught in possession a few times yesterday but on a couple of those occasions there was no bugger helping him. On a few other occasions he showed his class. McLean was quiet but he too had a couple of lovely touches.

Well , the proof is in the pudding , and his alarming lack of fitness was an important factor in the defeat culminating in his lazy lunge at the pen !

As i touched as I am that your scrolled back 10 pages to quote me on that.. the penalty had nothing to do with lack of fitness. I don't know what age you are mate but you obviously haven't played football in a long time if you think it requires any sort of fitness to get in front of the ball from 3 yards away (especially from a set piece when he's just had a breather) and usher the defender towards the byeline.. it was just poor decision making to lunge in. Same goes for the one he got booked for.

On the positive side we certainly looked more solid yesterday with Goodwin in beside McGregor and Newton at right back. That's the way to go next week.

As for the rest? McGinn and McLean tried all day and get pass marks. Gowser needs a rest as he's lost form and maybe a bit of confidence. Djemba Djemba is half a yard too slow and is a bit if a liability. Cost us a goal last week and a point yesterday. Wylde? Not sure why we've given him an 18 month deal. He showed nothing yesterday. Thommo looks to have run his race and needs a break but we have nobody to replace him.

Given how the teams have played all season it wasn't an unexpected result but Aberdeen were nowhere near their best yesterday without Robson and Hayes and we should've taken something.

Massive game next week.

Edited by DLBud

As i touched as I am that your scrolled back 10 pages to quote me on that.. the penalty had nothing to do with lack of fitness. I don't know what age you are mate but you obviously haven't played football in a long time if you think it requires any sort of fitness to get in front of the ball from 3 yards away (especially from a set piece when he's just had a breather) and usher the defender towards the byeline.. it was just poor decision making to lunge in. Same goes for the one he got booked for.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

" I was wrong, but rather than admit it I'll deflect it back " !