St Mirren V Motherwell.. 5/4/14

Lex

There is only one problem with the team above, our defense.

Young, inexperienced goalie and fullbacks with two at best iffy centre backs. Midfield onwards we could be top six, back four is Championship stuff and has been for years.

Why has it never been addressed?

Our midfield is definitely over estimated. How many goals do they have between them?

The whole team is underperforming, and have shown why we deserve to be where we currently sit in the league.

Motherwell seem to have a few players out including McFadden so it's a good chance to get something here which means we will probably blow it, it really is a must win game as we could be going into the split 5 behind Partick and 6 behind County which would make it game over for us I'm afraid, I'm that confident Partick and County will win that I'm going to stick money on it, we MUST take something from this game.

Ooooo... I do hope you put money on it?

Our home record is shocking and not sure what our win % is over the past few seasons but that is what lets us down. First goal will be crucial today so lets get behind the team and maybe we can pull a result from somewhere.

After last night's result a win today for us would be massive. If we can sneak it today I'll feel quite confident that we won't be in the play-off with having three home games. We just need the lads to turn up and play as we know they can. They owe it to our long-suffering support and dare I say it, to the manager.

I'm not going to refute facts but I'm of the opinion that Hearts could easily beat Partick and RC could lose on Friday therefore we, worst case scenario, could still be in the ame position we are in right now.

I agree this weekend could almost seal things but until then, still some hope, small as it is.

Well RC lost, I still believe Partick could easily lose today, as I've been saying for a few days.

Now, can we beat Motherwell? I'm not so sure but all the faith that we could be adrift after today seems to have been wishful thinking.

Today COULD reverse that dreadful day against Dundee United when it ALL went wrong, and at the right time of the season.

Optimism, yes, there is still room for this particular feeling.

In the past the team going into the post split fixtures in 12th place was almost always relegated especially if there was a points gap bigger than the 3 for a 1 game margin. The two relegation battles I really remember are 2001 against Dundee Utd. and 2012 against Dunfermline - in both seasons the bottom team was unable to bridge a 4 point gap despite winning the ultimately not so crucial H2H game. The only time a gap of this size was bridged successfully IIRC when Livingston overtook Dundee in 2004/05.

TsuMirren's analysis seems more realistic to me, at some point optimism becomes self-delusion - we have now entered the must win stage of the season.

COYS!

Oh dear............................maybe it's not always self delusion to have optimism and support your team.

Maybe it's pessimism to always look for, and some hope for, the worst case scenario.

I hope this is clear enough for you. thumbup2.gif

PS It is NOT the "Must win" stage yet, that will, no doubt, come in the near future.

Edited by faraway saint

Two changes, Gowser and Cheesy replace Wylde and Campbell.

Glad both the wingers have been dropped, they were rubbish last week, although would have liked to see Teale start. Nice to see Gowser has made such a rapid recovery from that mysterious 'injury' that afflicted him in Celtics title winning week.