Stabbed In The Back

Danny had a 5 year contract.

He stayed for the full 5 years.

He won us a cup and we're cemented as an SPFL club for the forseeable future.

Well done and thanks to Danny Lennon but it's time to try something new.

*edit, financially, this could be a good move. Maybe free up some extra funds for better players!

Edited by Doakes

*edit, financially, this could be a good move. Maybe free up some extra funds for better players!

If you think any of the extra money will be reinvested in the squad you'll be sadly disappointed!

I don't know why everyone thinks this is a cheap option?

We've lost the gaffer but the assistant has stepped up and without doubt increased his wage.

We've gained 2 coaches from the playing staff. 2 of our top earners on the playing side and I doubt very much they have taken on the player coach role for the same money they were on.

Wouldn't surprise me if this amounts to the same sort of money as the previous management team.

Edited by davidg

And I see gilmour's moved his attention now to trying to get Kenny McLean sold! This on the same day as the big managerial cost cutting exercise:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27402255

Money on his mind, money on his mind!

I think actually SG was simply asked the question, and answered it. It's not exactly a secret as the player himself has recently said publicly he'd like a move to english football.

And I see gilmour's moved his attention now to trying to get Kenny McLean sold! This on the same day as the big managerial cost cutting exercise:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27402255

Money on his mind, money on his mind!

You have one hell of a suspicious mind.

It's no secret Kenny wants to try his luck down south, after all he is a free agent, so you can't sell him.

I don't know why everyone thinks this is a cheap option?

We've lost the gaffer but the assistant has stepped up and without doubt increased his wage.

We've gained 2 coaches from the playing staff. 2 of our top earners on the playing side and I doubt very much they have taken on the player coach role for the same money they were on.

Wouldn't surprise me if this amounts to the same sort of money as the previous management team.

Maybe the coaching staff were only too keen to get a chance at coaching an SPL, or whatever it's called these days club and cash wasn't an issueNo doubt already on big money and won't have as much of a playing role next year.

When Danny was appointed the club held a 'talk-in with Danny and Iain Jenkins night'. I sincerely hope they hold a 'talk-in with Tommy, Gary and Jim night'. I would pay good money to watch as a forum user stood up to tell Jim Goodwin he's the cheap option and it's a shite appointment.

That would be braw' entertainment. Get it sorted!

Get pies and peas in, I'll hold the jackets.

Edited by pozbaird

Never an enthusiast for DL, yet not in the "remove him" camp, I fail to see understand how this management team could possibly be seen as "trying something new"...

Perhaps you could expand further on your thoughts in this regard...?

NEW?

That was the night of the infamous question

"Danny - why did you re-sign Garry Brady?"

DL's - "well - you know - when I wiz appointed I wiz given a DVD for each of the out of contract players - ye ken you know like - and well he looked awright like you know from what I saw?"

Audience as one responded "it must have been a very short f**kin video"

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

When Danny was appointed the club held a 'talk-in with Danny and Iain Jenkins night'. I sincerely hope they hold a 'talk-in with Tommy, Gary and Jim night'. I would pay good money to watch as a forum user stood up to tell Jim Goodwin he's the cheap option and it's a shite appointment.

That would be braw' entertainment. Get it sorted!

Get pies and peas in, I'll hold the jackets.

I normally enjoy our posts, but don't get this one at all. Are you saying you wouldn't give Jim Goodwin an honest opinion?

I happen to think JG is a very good appointment, but if I thought he wasn't, I wouldn't hesitate to say it in his presence.

This post smacks of playground admiration for the school bully.

I normally enjoy our posts, but don't get this one at all. Are you saying you wouldn't give Jim Goodwin an honest opinion?

I happen to think JG is a very good appointment, but if I thought he wasn't, I wouldn't hesitate to say it in his presence.

This post smacks of playground admiration for the school bully.

Eh? Did you go to the talk in with Gus and Andy? Hard as nails both of em' with a steely gaze straight into your heart as they answered your questions. Gus in particular could fix you with an icy stare that could trigger an underpants-keech interface situation in the unsuspecting questioner.

I wouldn't have fancied standing up and saying 'Fcuk sake Gus, you didn't half bugger up that 2010 final, eh?'

Similarly, I wouldn't fancy telling Goody he's the cheap option! He's a big bugger too. Wouldnae' mess about I don't think.

Not saying they are bullies... Just saying I'm no' brave enough to give them a hard time!

Eh? Did you go to the talk in with Gus and Andy? Hard as nails both of em' with a steely gaze straight into your heart as they answered your questions. Gus in particular could fix you with an icy stare that could trigger an underpants-keech interface situation in the unsuspecting questioner.

I wouldn't have fancied standing up and saying 'Fcuk sake Gus, you didn't half bugger up that 2010 final, eh?'

Similarly, I wouldn't fancy telling Goody he's the cheap option! He's a big bugger too. Wouldnae' mess about I don't think.

Not saying they are bullies... Just saying I'm no' brave enough to give them a hard time!

Fair do's

I think the difficulty is that it is strange that a manger is told he is no longer required and then assistant manager, captain and senior team member take over within 24hrs.

I have absolutely no objection to it and if TC plans on carrying on with youth development and playing good football I think it is a great appointment.

However it does make you wonder if there was a rift in the latter part of DLs tenure...

Furthermore although I completely agree with the fact that the current BoD have done wonders for the club why leak information (if this is true as suggested) then not allow a proper send off for Danny?

I think the Radio Scotland interview with SG and in particular with reference to Chick's comments about the suggestion of dressing room acrimony were telling.

As previously thanks to DL for everything especially the league cup. I think his leaving the club could have been potentially handled better, but let's all get behind our new management team and trust the BoD that the above is within the interests of our club.

Edited by Bart Simpson

I have worked with people in a team where there are clashes of personality and a view that the team leader was not the person for the job. But the projects got finished and only then did the setup change when the job was done.

DL had a contract and the BoD honoured that contract so Danny left with honour and dignity. It would have been worse if he has got the bullet a few months ago when we were on a downward spiral. I think ihis departure could have been handled better but do not believe it to be a stab in the back.

Our BoD are a hands-on board. They know what is going on within the club and the personal qualities of their employees better than anyone on this forum. They have never let us down and have proved to be one of the better boards in Scottish Football. Maybe this is not their finest moment but I think they also deserve some slack.

not even when they openly advocated fast-tracking Newco into the Championship to avoid Armageddon?

not even when they were willing to support a return to a top league of 10 knowing we would be in SPL2 because financially we would be better off?

Edited by BuddieinEK

Was this the radio interview tonight, Bart?

Div has a link on another thread to it. I only heard the latter part on Radio Scotland. Chick put his foot in it and mentioned dressing room discord when Richard Gordon hadn't commented on this directly.

I think the two things that annoy me about it are:

1. This clearly from the outside has been planned in advance. This is entirely fine, but why not tell the manager and fans before the last game that he was on his way out the door and therefore allow him a proper send off.

2. Why are we as the Saint Mirren faithful finding all of the above out after the media have known something was amiss for some time?

What's that one all about JohnBoy? What is it about him that makes them annoyed?

They will say things like "He was first out the door when the club went under" (or you could say that when the company who employed him went into liquidation, he took a job somewhere else)

Really, every one of that mob I have ever spoke to utterly despise the boy.

I find it to be an endearing quality!

Don't pay attention to old firm fans!

Some ridiculous paranoia on this thread and some of the statements are blatantly stupid.

It's hardly a surprise, given the choice between becoming the manager or being out of a job, that Tommy Craig would choose to become manager.

It's not as if this is the first time in Scottish football that an assistant has taken over from a manager....

I'm not sure I appreciate why the board think that this change will make so much difference to the fortunes of the team as TC Goodwin and Teale were all there last season obviously but we'll just have to wait and see...my fingers are crossed! And best of luck to the new management team!!!

Funny how you change your tune to suit your long and bitter dislike of our last manger? 1eye.gif

Eh? We've replaced Danny and now we've replaced the players feeding trough as well??????

It truly is a time of great upheaval at our club.

Edited by oaksoft

There were two occasions during the season that the board could have sacked Danny Lennon without anyone batting an eyelid.

In fact they were abused by many for NOT sacking him on the back of two long winless runs where the tactics, formation and selection changed every week.

They didn't bow to that pressure, but gave Danny time to turn it round.

In fact they also gave him the resource in January to bring in four more players in January, five if you count Kello, and also backed him to pay off Lee Mair, a move which was widely described at the time as being completely barking given most agreed that we needed another centre half never mind one fewer.

The pay off of Imrie, having found money to actually buy him in the first place, Mair, the wasted wages on Bohaken, Grainger, Harkins & Djemba Djemba. Hundreds of thousands of pounds literally pissed away.

Starting the season with two goalkeepers without any first experience at all.

In the cold light of day can anyone really be surprised that Danny is no longer the manager of the club ?