Saints V Dundee 23Rd August.

Jimmy H

TC's record as a manager is not good for the simple reason he has been a No2 most of his coaching career. I cannot comment on his record in Belgium as I do not know the circumstances that prevailed there (nor does anyone else on here) but even the most successful of managers without exception have had losing streaks. But you cannot judge any manager based on only 20 odd results. I seem to remember that St Mirren's results picked up when TC became DL's assistant and it was being hailed at the time as an inspired appointment.

And whilst I would question the extent to which any manager can influence results, at the end of the day it is mostly up to the players on the park to produce the goods. We have had 2 good performances out of 3 league games from the players and I would echo the sentiments expressed on here by others that there are signs of improvement from last season but that relates only to performance so far and not to results.

Watch this space!

I think you had better take more notice of what the Frog says in future.I am only being negative because i can see the obvious, that Craig has signed players far below the standard required.He has totally disrespected the fans and the league he is in.

We have two home games this week, neither of which I intend to watch,so lets see where we are on Saturday evening.

When do you think the season will start now ?

I personally am not feeling any pressure but the longer the team goes without scoring the more the players will start to feel it - that's only natural. What I saw on Saturday was fairly decent apart from not converting any of the 10 or so chances we created (and the obligatory defensive mistake that costs a goal - we both agree we need a new CH). Which players are below "the standard required" bearing in mind this is the Scottish prem ? Marwood hasn't impressed me so far - does not appear to have a goal scorers instinct however I think Ball just needs a goal to get going (and to lose a few pounds). Plummer looks very at home at this level as does Tess and you cannot write-off Drury after one match. Add a proven keeper in Kello and a proven holding mid in Osborne and I just cannot see where you are coming from with the line that he has disrespected the fans and the league by signing these players. Who would you have signed instead of theses guys ???

I have stated several times that players from non league English teams are not good enough for the SPL and question why Craig would think they are. I also think that reserve players from England are not up to the standard when pitched straight in. He must have a very low opinion of our top league if he thinks these types will do a job. So far that has been evident.

Kello is a fine keeper and Thommo goes without saying.McGinn is decent and so is McLean ( when not injured) and Goodwin is a good captain.The others are plodders I`m afraid.

I say here and now that I am very disappointed , having got rid of Lennon ( much too late in my opinion) that we retained his sidekick. We all know why of course.

Why sign players just for the sake of it ? And ones which are clearly not up to the job ? I know its early days and perhaps I may be proved wrong but I dont think so, and the end result will be yet another season of misery, like every season has been since we came up. But this time two teams are going down. I suspect we will be one of them, unfortunately.

I have stated several times that players from non league English teams are not good enough for the SPL and question why Craig would think they are. I also think that reserve players from England are not up to the standard when pitched straight in. He must have a very low opinion of our top league if he thinks these types will do a job. So far that has been evident.

Kello is a fine keeper and Thommo goes without saying.McGinn is decent and so is McLean ( when not injured) and Goodwin is a good captain.The others are plodders I`m afraid.

I say here and now that I am very disappointed , having got rid of Lennon ( much too late in my opinion) that we retained his sidekick. We all know why of course.

Why sign players just for the sake of it ? And ones which are clearly not up to the job ? I know its early days and perhaps I may be proved wrong but I dont think so, and the end result will be yet another season of misery, like every season has been since we came up. But this time two teams are going down. I suspect we will be one of them, unfortunately.

I missed the Accies game, but against Well and Dundee I thought we played very very well indeed.

Just watched the highlights there and the number and quality of chances we created on Saturday was more than in most victories we had last season.

Take the 3-0 victory away to Partick as an example of how the result and the performance don't always go hand in hand.

I think our squad is better than it was last season, and I think it's only a matter of time until that shows.

On Ball specifically, I thought he's showed some great touches and awareness. His pass to Kenny in the first half which created a great chance was top drawer.

What was really noticeable in the Family Stand on Saturday was the lack of any atmosphere from Saints fans (aside from the Panda club).

The standing ovation when Thommo made his pitch entrance demonstrated the positive support that can be generated.

Too often there is an attitude that we should be be able to beat teams like Accies and Dundee without getting out of second gear. It's a problem that has been apparent since we moved to the new stadium. I'm not sure what the answer is.

We certainly need to get behind the team against Dunfermline for the whole match. The squad is low on confidence and we need to try and do our bit to lift the players.

COYS

Good point. Zero atmosphere on Saturday.

What really surprised me was that away to Well, when playing some really exciting attacking football, the atmosphere was poor too.

Normally you expect the away support to make a lot more noise, but it didn't happen at Fir Park; and that was even when the team were doing their job.

I thought it was a soft goal yesterday and TV highlights confirm that. If we are pushing out then we have to come out as a unit, pretty basic stuff which cost us in the end. Created enough chances to win the game comfortably so we just need to take it on the chin and move on.

Hopefully we knock in a few goals against the Dung to boost our confidence !

They shouldn't have been coming out as a defence anyway. That was the point. McDonald actually came from a deeper position - McAusland was actually trying to play a different Dundee attacker offside. The TV pictures aren't the best, but it was what I noticed at the game. If you watch the claims from McAusland and Goodwin they put their hands down again very quickly after the realise the man they were trying to play offside wasn't the one on the ball.

The atmosphere at saints games is terrible these days, it's getting worse as each season passes.

I was sitting in the main stand on Saturday and it was very flat, all I could hear was the Dundee fans.

You get the odd verbal directed at cheesy from the odd Zoomer now and again but that's it, it's very grim at St.Mirren park these days.

The atmosphere at saints games is terrible these days, it's getting worse as each season passes.

I was sitting in the main stand on Saturday and it was very flat, all I could hear was the Dundee fans.

You get the odd verbal directed at cheesy from the odd Zoomer now and again but that's it, it's very grim at St.Mirren park these days.

Hear, hear.

The negativity amongst our support is unbelievable.

The atmosphere has never been great since we moved and I'm not really sure anything's been done to address it. The place is particularly flat this season as we've been turned over twice and haven't mustered a single goal.

Exciting play and, ultimately, goals create atmosphere. Players need to do their bit.

Yup, especially as we've won five on the bounce, have a tried and tested manager and have worked to eliminate the key areas of worry within the squad. Oh, hang on...

To be fair Kenny it's still early days and I think we have the makings of a good team as long as our strikers/midfielders can start converting the chances we are creating, I remain an optimist.

To be fair Kenny it's still early days and I think we have the makings of a good team as long as our strikers/midfielders can start converting the chances we are creating, I remain an optimist.

Yeah, I'm not sitting ripping in to everything. You do see little glimpses, but there's just so many little niggly things. Wylde's crossing, McGinn doing too much, McLean going in wee moods and shooting for no reason, this inability to smash it and the way we build slowly unless it's a punt up or Wylde running the ball up the line. The strikers are never going to click immediately and you can see Ball could be good, Caldwell has done well enough and Marwood is, possibly like McGinn, trying to do too much as opposed to doing the easy things.

My main worry is that it looks like the injury Kello had a the tail end of last season is affecting his ability to get down.

Yeah, I'm not sitting ripping in to everything. You do see little glimpses, but there's just so many little niggly things. Wylde's crossing, McGinn doing too much, McLean going in wee moods and shooting for no reason, this inability to smash it and the way we build slowly unless it's a punt up or Wylde running the ball up the line. The strikers are never going to click immediately and you can see Ball could be good, Caldwell has done well enough and Marwood is, possibly like McGinn, trying to do too much as opposed to doing the easy things.

My main worry is that it looks like the injury Kello had a the tail end of last season is affecting his ability to get down.

I can only speak as someone who is watching all of this from afar, but everything you have said makes sense, and Kello certainly seems to have been a lot less secure than last season.. I still think that we will move on and start upping the ante in the performance stakes ( wishful thinking perhaps) and I've a few dollars stashed away for our next cup final appearance.. still pissed off that I missed the FA Trophy final a few years ago but had a great day at Almondvale with the Fleet Tartan Army punk.gif

Main points from today's game:

Osborne looks like a good defensive midfielder, broke up lots of utd play in the first half, can only imagine he was substituted to change to a more offensive game plan after going 2 down.

Mclean was out of sorts today, in fact has been since start of the season, however you cant keep quality down and he will come good.

McGinn , tesselaar , ball, all gets pass marks.

I also think this whole scenario of having teale & Goodwin as coaches is not going to work, we need or best team on the park from the start of every game,

It's criminal to have two players with there experience not starting every week.

Main points from today's game:

Osborne looks like a good defensive midfielder, broke up lots of utd play in the first half, can only imagine he was substituted to change to a more offensive game plan after going 2 down.

Mclean was out of sorts today, in fact has been since start of the season, however you cant keep quality down and he will come good.

McGinn , tesselaar , ball, all gets pass marks.

I also think this whole scenario of having teale & Goodwin as coaches is not going to work, we need or best team on the park from the start of every game,

It's criminal to have two players with there experience not starting every week.

Wrong thread? lol.gif

• 3 weeks later...