St Mirren V Celtic 27/9/14

Oh Dear, silly boy.

"No disrespect to Celtic, but it is probably a decent time to play them at the moment as they're not steamrolling teams like they have done in the past."

shutup.gif

Oh Dear, silly boy.

"No disrespect to Celtic, but it is probably a decent time to play them at the moment as they're not steamrolling teams like they have done in the past."

shutup.gif

Really?

With us... ANY time a team needs a wee hand we are willing providers.

I fear a mauling.

I will be there supporting... but I truly fear a humiliation.

Its never wise to write off Saints, particularly when we are on an awful run - like now- but since Lennon took over (one game excepted)and with Craig as his henchman, our record against Celtic has been lamentably bad. No goals scored in almost every match and heavy defeats the norm. Of course it was ever thus against that team but I fully expect a beating on Saturday due to the lack of premier league standard players wearing the Saints shirts this season.

In normal circumstances it would be unfair to start calling for a managers head after less than a dozen games - albeit most of them defeats - but in Craigs case, he has been here for a few years and we all know he only got the job due to costs being cut at Board level.To say nothing of the underhand way he accepted the position as his partner was sacked.

Ive not been on recently after the succession of defeats saying "I told you so" after posting about the lack of quality in his close season recruits, I think it was self evident they would amount to very little considering where they came from.

To this end I would say that the exit from one of only two tournamants we can compete for and another home league defeat ought to hasten the departure of a man who makes even Lennon look vaguely competent.

Would losing 5-0 in this game be a humiliation?

We lost by that last year, did anyone feel humiliated? I didn't. Celtic can and regularly do dish out heavy beatings to any side in the country. Dundee Utd got one a few weeks back, and they're top of the league!

Scott Brown earns more than our entire playing and coaching staff combined. Celtic should be beating us comfortably every time they play us. If they click and play to their best on Saturday we will get a doing, regardless of how well we play.

Feel the doom merchants need a sense of perspective.

The facts are staring Saints fans in the face. This group of players is the worst we have had for quite a while. One win so far, and that was a fluke, is relegation form. I do not like it, but it's factual.

While we have a very poor start to say any game we win is a "fluke" and don't mention that we've played pretty decent in other games we've lost is not a fair reflection of our season.

It's, frankly, hilarious, to write off a win as a fluke although, seemingly, we won the league cup by lots of flukes. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

The worst players we've had for quite a while?

Very subjective as results tend to influence people opinion.

It's not impossible we could get relegated as we've flirted with relegation for many a year but the FACT is we've always managed to avoid relegation, despite being written off by many "supporters" almost every season.

Edited by faraway saint

The last time I was looking forward to a home game against Celtic less than tomorrow's game, we won 4-0.

Here's hoping something similar happens.

Yes I agree feels very similar (as did the semi final). Had I not had a ST I would have been sorely tempted to give it a miss but I never do more fool me but as you say you just never know. Lets be honest though every single time we have beaten one of the ugly sisters (at least since the 80's) we will have approached the match with the same lack of optimism so it's nothing new really. If you go expecting the worst you may end up pleasantly surprised (I'm trying to be optimistic here folks honest !)

The last time I was looking forward to a home game against Celtic less than tomorrow's game, we won 4-0.

Here's hoping something similar happens.

Ah but, ah but, ah but....

Such results are just St Mirren's way of conning us into believing that a fluke IS a slim possibility.... simply in order to REALLY bash our baws wi a giant jaggy mallet of a gubbing.

I would probably be with elvis on this one.... :(

If I ever read his life-quenching posts.

Eta: I just got 8/1 on Saints.... And rolled it in with three others. :o

I could be a millionaire-ish person by Sat evening.

Edited by bluto

Apart from the Ismacloud9.gif games Danny Lennon's record against Celtic was 11 defeats and 0 goals scored against 30 conceded - OK I know I'm being selective but there's no magic new arrival to suggest we're going to buck our recent form, going further back the story is pretty much the same.

Cliché No. 247 - Anything we get from this game will be a bonus.......................