Abuse At St Mirren Park

shull

Guest TPAFKATS

I saw what I believe to be the incident in question . The 'supporter' ran to the boundary fence and was shouting abuse at Van Dijk then proceeded to make monkey gestures. He was then shepherded away by a steward. At the time I didn't quite believe I had witnessed that behaviour because no other action was taken until I saw the reports today. The 'supporter' was wearing a red top .

No place for it at football or in society

So...you saw it, thought you hadnt seen it, then realised you had seen it once you read or heard media reports of it?

I hope there's some better evidence coming...

I saw what I believe to be the incident in question . The 'supporter' ran to the boundary fence and was shouting abuse at Van Dijk then proceeded to make monkey gestures. He was then shepherded away by a steward. At the time I didn't quite believe I had witnessed that behaviour because no other action was taken until I saw the reports today. The 'supporter' was wearing a red top .

I'm sure that's one of the guys I referred to however I was feet away from the 2 police and they were observing the 2 guys making gestures very closely. I'm not saying the guy didn't make the gesture but I certainly didn't see it although I wasn't watching him that closely but I remember specifically saying to my mates about the 2 police watching those 2 and they had better watch themselves (just for the heated nature of their protests and the fact they were out their seats). There were also several stewards looking in their direction. Surely the police would have noticed the incident and detained him instantly if they thought an offence had been committed ?

FWIW I did not recognise the guy as even someone I knew facially never mind by name.

With a day to reflect on the accusation my thoughts are, i don't think the lad would make a spurious allegation of this sort especially to the police. So lets kill the conspiracy/deflection theories off.

He believes he was racially abused, he could be right or wrong lets see where the investigation leads.

If he's right i want to see the arseholes concerned banned for life immediately.

If he's wrong i expect him to acknowledge that, and lay it to rest.

But what I want more than anything is for our club to make a statement NOW! That any form of abuse including racial, bigoted, sectarian, homophobic has no place at our club, and indeed no place in Scottish football full stop!

I want the club on the front foot in this saying it takes this or any allegation very seriously and will work with Police Scotland to identify and bring to justice anyone who displays any form of racial, bigoted, sectarian, homophobic abuse in our stadium.

Its wrong for anyone to do it, home or away fans and its time our club and others put the bottlers in the SPFL and SFA in the firing line for refusing to deal with and ignoring what UEFA seem to punish every week. If theres one positive to take from the referendum it is that people in Scotland want this complicit behaviour by authorities to change.

So lets be bold and condemn it all and call on the Police, SPFL and SFA to deal with it as we intend to do.

Over to you SGG & Co..!

You have to ask why the steward din't point him out to the police. We don't need that kind of nonsense at football - hope he's found and banned for life.

With a day to reflect on the accusation my thoughts are, i don't think the lad would make a spurious allegation of this sort especially to the police. So lets kill the conspiracy/deflection theories off.

He believes he was racially abused, he could be right or wrong lets see where the investigation leads.

If he's right i want to see the arseholes concerned banned for life immediately.

If he's wrong i expect him to acknowledge that, and lay it to rest.

But what I want more than anything is for our club to make a statement NOW! That any form of abuse including racial, bigoted, sectarian, homophobic has no place at our club, and indeed no place in Scottish football full stop!

I want the club on the front foot in this saying it takes this or any allegation very seriously and will work with Police Scotland to identify and bring to justice anyone who displays any form of racial, bigoted, sectarian, homophobic abuse in our stadium.

Its wrong for anyone to do it, home or away fans and its time our club and others put the bottlers in the SPFL and SFA in the firing line for refusing to deal with and ignoring what UEFA seem to punish every week. If theres one positive to take from the referendum it is that people in Scotland want this complicit behaviour by authorities to change.

So lets be bold and condemn it all and call on the Police, SPFL and SFA to deal with it as we intend to do.

Over to you SGG & Co..!

If St Mirren did make that kind of public statement would we and Police Scotland not have to start arresting Celtic fans singing sectarian / Irish historical folk songs songs every time they visit?

Nothing seems to be getting said about the Celtic player making a gesture towards the St Mirren fans at the end of the game - I know it has been normal and OK for the previous Celtic manager to do the same but it does seem hypocritical for Celtic to go public and bring in the police about 1 gesture from a fan to a player and ignore the same player gesturing to fans.

If St Mirren did make that kind of public statement would we and Police Scotland not have to start arresting Celtic fans singing sectarian / Irish historical folk songs songs every time they visit?

Nothing seems to be getting said about the Celtic player making a gesture towards the St Mirren fans at the end of the game - I know it has been normal and OK for the previous Celtic manager to do the same but it does seem hypocritical for Celtic to go public and bring in the police about 1 gesture from a fan to a player and ignore the same player gesturing to fans.

Yes Police Scotland would and should be arresting celtic or any clubs fans for singing anything that UEFA deem sectarian, and/or they are ejected and their club fined/banned until they desist singing As they term it 'Political/historical' songs.

We are talking about two Scottish professional football clubs, playing in the Scottish league,, in Scotland..... If you want to sing about Ireland i'm sure they'd love to hear it in Dublin.... Although my experience is your average Irish person finds it all a tad embarrassing these days.

Edit: @Dibbles. I'm too slow...

Not necessarily. First and foremost, as a club, we need to show that that behaviour is not tolerated within our ranks. What other clubs let/encourage supporters to do is none of our business.

But yeah, it'd be lovely if, in handing a lifetime ban to this culprit (assuming it happened), we also pointed out the ongoing sectarianism and bigotry that was brought to SMP on Saturday, and raised the point that we have taken care of the scum element within our support, and that we'd appreciate other clubs following suit.

Edited by Magic Monkey

that was only 25 years ago Ally .

totally agree with the racism thing ,and that there is no place for it in football , and the fact that we have a few arseholes about the west bank , but I,m not convinced about the monkey noises etc on Saturday , I,m sure the pro Celtic TV pundits would have delighted in picking that up on the sound monitors on saturday.

just heard the news on the radio and it was monkey chants from the crowd that the complaint was about , the only chanting from the crowd on Saturday was a chorus of the Saints when we scored , and a chorus of Cheat , after Van Dijk made a meal out of a bad tackle.

It shouldn,t be too difficult to check the footage etc , as we all seem to agree on the incident .

Let me say any saint mirren fans found guilty of the behaviour suggested by VD should be severley punished and indeed prosecuted

I would also say, should VD's allegations be found to be spurious, he should be ostracised in the game and have a lengthy ban imposed upon him and severe punishment on his club for needlessly and spuriously accusing the saint mirren support

Seen a few black Dutch players take umbrage to chants of 'Cheat'.

Just wondering if there is a Dutch word 'cheat' (or similar sounding) and what it means?

If I had been VVD, and someone had made those kind of 'gestures' at me, I wouldn't have waited until the end of the game to gesture back. I'd have been doing a Cantona at the wee f*ck.

Might just be nothing to report at the moment, investigations continuing?

Doesn't strike me as the kind of thing that would be difficult to investigate. Watch the CCTV footage and either find and charge the culprit, or release a statement saying no evidence of the allegation as been found.

So your defence of this is that Van Dijk had no business looking at the crowd?

That's right up there with "Aye but she WAS wearing a short skirt".

I absolutely despair at the levels of intelligence amongst our support.

no surprise to see oaksoft jump in to comment

i remember him stepping his foot in it re the Neil Lennon 'incident' in the Aberdeen cup tie at tynecastle last season where there wasn't a shred of evidence

Guest TPAFKATS

Doesn't strike me as the kind of thing that would be difficult to investigate. Watch the CCTV footage and either find and charge the culprit, or release a statement saying no evidence of the allegation as been found.

Shouldn't take long Lex, it's only been 4 working days though.