Transfer News

One more player? What a joke. I think think we all know that won't do and we will be relegated this year. The board.should hang their heads. How can dundee have a squad that's stronger and better than us when we have had 9 years in spl compared to their two administrations. We're a f**king Diddy team being killed.slowly by a board who.have chucked it. The team is shite and hasn't got a winning mentality

From Twitter:

Gary Teale resigned to bringing in 1 more player at most for St Mirren before window closes.

Was going to say that's unbelievable but it's entirely believable with our clusterf**k of a season.

On the one hand I'm thinking never believe what a manager says publicly, it all being part of the game, on the other we've shipped out one youth player, two loanees and two first team players whose deals probably had to be sweetened so maybe two (Arqin + 1) is all we can afford unless sell someone - depressing! nologo.gif

What happened to all GT's contacts he was on the phone to - have they all been out the office for a month?

ETA - If Steve "MelonMan" Mallan has been moved from a youth contract to a regular one then that's obviously another wage but would anyone advocate leaving him on the youth contract?

Edited by Bud the Baker

Not sure what the great surprise is here, where would the money have come from to bring in more? Do you think Caldwell and Marwood walked away free of charge? Maybe if something can be done to get rid of Kello & Wylde we might manage to bring in a couple of players but otherwise we need to stick within the budget.

We really need a couple of proper defenders, if we can only have one he better be bloody good and able to organise the rest of them in to some sort of shape!

Not surprised that with Tommy Craig to be paid off, and loan deals with Man City cut short possibly costing us a small amount for ending early, and probably having to sweeten deals to offload Caldwell and Marwood that there isn't a huge amount of money to bring in players, compared with other fairly disappointing January windows gone by (Isma and Newton excepted) plus we have also had less gate money and disappointing cup runs as well.

Does anyone on here know what the story was with Kello being dropped from the bench at the last minute?

Here is the quote from Teale about signings: "You're restricted in terms of what you can do financially, ideally you'd obviously like to bring in a few players, but realistically we'll probably only be able to bring in one. I'll have to do as much homework as I can and try to do as much due diligence on the players that I've looked at and hopefully make the right addition to try and boost what I've already got here."

Absolutely ridiculous. I'd love to see the first team wage budget compared from all our years in the top flight as it seems to get smaller each season when it should surely go the other way. Yes, there has been the problems with Setanta and Rangers but that has surely been balanced by cup runs, moving ground and clearing the debt. I'd fancy the team that won the first division to beat most of the sides we've had in the SPL/Premiership.

For all the deserved criticism Craig gets for his signing policy it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the guys he brought in were the best we could afford in that particular area - aside from Clarkson.

Quick answer here...

The budget is fine in season one, Lennon then pays off players, he then does it again, oh and again, Craig comes in and makes a c**t of things, Teale has to have a clearout and again pay players off. Dwindling budgets, eaten in to the season before, paying for squad slots more than just once etc. If it wasn't for the work Longwell has done we'd be royally screwed.

Not surprised that with Tommy Craig to be paid off, and loan deals with Man City cut short possibly costing us a small amount for ending early, and probably having to sweeten deals to offload Caldwell and Marwood that there isn't a huge amount of money to bring in players, compared with other fairly disappointing January windows gone by (Isma and Newton excepted) plus we have also had less gate money and disappointing cup runs as well.

Does anyone on here know what the story was with Kello being dropped from the bench at the last minute?

Kello looked as if he damaged his shoulder in the warm up but managed to complete it but one of the physio team was out halfway through.

Here is the quote from Teale about signings: "You're restricted in terms of what you can do financially, ideally you'd obviously like to bring in a few players, but realistically we'll probably only be able to bring in one. I'll have to do as much homework as I can and try to do as much due diligence on the players that I've looked at and hopefully make the right addition to try and boost what I've already got here."

Absolutely ridiculous. I'd love to see the first team wage budget compared from all our years in the top flight as it seems to get smaller each season when it should surely go the other way. Yes, there has been the problems with Setanta and Rangers but that has surely been balanced by cup runs, moving ground and clearing the debt. I'd fancy the team that won the first division to beat most of the sides we've had in the SPL/Premiership.

For all the deserved criticism Craig gets for his signing policy it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the guys he brought in were the best we could afford in that particular area - aside from Clarkson.

The best player we can bring in is a fit Thompson. Having him back even if inevitably not up completely up to speed for the first few games will make a big difference. Fingers tightly crossed. Hopefully Teale can bring in a serviceable centre back too.

We have lost SIX players from our initial squad if you include Teale and brought in one who is now suspended.Thompson given his age and recent injuries for me will not feature much.For Gods sake we need minimum four players.Mr Chairman please get this mess we are in sorted or long suffering fans the lifeblood of our wonderful club will surely drift away.Do you care?

We have lost SIX players from our initial squad if you include Teale and brought in one who is now suspended.Thompson given his age and recent injuries for me will not feature much.For Gods sake we need minimum four players.Mr Chairman please get this mess we are in sorted or long suffering fans the lifeblood of our wonderful club will surely drift away.Do you care?

Problem is 4 players at £1000 a week would cost 200k for 12 months, even 100k till the end of the season. Even 4 players at £1000 a week would only get you run of the mill players. 2 at 2k a week would be more of a risk but should be a better standard of player.

I think we'll be relying on Thommo to come good and dig us out another hole.

Obviously we are missing a fit Thommo, but what's the deal with Teale himself? If he hadn't been given the manager's gig - temporarily ( get it sorted FFS BoD), would he be fit enough to play? I genuinely don't know the situation regarding his ability to continue playing. We are missing him down the right side, as an option even as a sub.

So, is it being handed the manager's jacket that has called time on his playing days, even though he could play, or has injury finished him anyway?

It's interesting reading the increasing criticism of the BoD. Wasn't so long ago if you criticised our BoD you would be accused of treason, forgetting 1998, or being a boo boy at best. Perhaps ring fencing the shares, and not even communicating a 'we're still on the job here' message to the fans has at last changed attitudes? Frankly, I would not expect them to go into any detail whatsoever about any possible new ownership talks, but to say absolutely nothing about the situation we find ourselves in generally? Pumped the manager, supposedly received over fifty applicants. Seven weeks later no word on Teale being the man or not. (Accies act decisively to give Canning the gig). Sliding to possible relegation without a solitary home win, players departing at a rate of knots only matched by managers departing Ibrox. Clubs like Partick, Dundee and Hamilton making us look like a shambles both on and off the park.....

Nothing to say to the fanbase? Not a word.

That's because he(wylde) duffed the tackle leading onto their goal.Time is up for him I am afraid.What a load of wasters Craig left us with.it broke my heart watching Gowser play against us.

Craig never signed Wylde.

As for Gowser, it's quite possible he'll be in prison before the season ends.

So gilmour saying we needed a wheeler dealer was pish then. Basically we have shipped out the crap and then brought in one player. We may as well have kept marwood and caldwell then ? Utter shambles of a club and if this is the case today is the day when I finally accept that we are indeed going down. If we sell Kenny by the way we will be away by March. He is the one and only player who I enjoy watching and who is a threat to other teams. The rest don't have the winning mentality or concentration to be successful. Sure mallan is a great prospect and McGinn is good but can't score goals . The game is up for us unless we manage to get three or four players in we all knew that at the agm we heard the man who owns the club say it on dec 9th yet now we have had four go out but only one in. The club is rudderless and will be relegated. I wish we had been told up front in June by the way we have no money were downsizing preparing for the championship etc. it stinks that our club hasn't won a home game all season it's inevitable that this will haunt us and in the end relegate us. To be fair it's what we deserve this season

Edited by norrie82

Who were the two best players on the park yesterday?

Mallan and McLean. For me, there is no question of that. If we had McGinn in form, would there be a place for Gowser?

Not for me there wouldn't. Not sure why we're even discussing it, to be honest.

McGowan not being kept on at St Mirren was all down to off field problems not footballing ability. What's the point in keeping a player who behaves like that? Not worth a deal in my opinion. I think you are being extremely harsh on Mallan there Norrie. McLean was inconsistent and wasn't liked by all when he was in his first season, so I think Mallan deserves a bit of support, the boy has come a long way since his debut. Look at the player that McLean has become now! We will hold on to McLean and look to sell him on in the summer. The players that have been released was the right call, regardless of who has been brought in. If we had other strikers I would argue that Ball would have gone as well. I would rather struggle on with McLean upfront than had any of the three Craig signings in the Team. Ball has had about five minutes in the last three games. Teale is having to deal with the mess that Tommy Craig left us with. I think an experienced manager would also have struggled in this situation. I will agree with most posters who note that the board have implemented too many cutbacks over the last couple of seasons. I can understand the reasons but you can't expect to survive every season on this basis. People also forget that clubs like St Mirren don't really operate in the Transfer Window. After the 2nd of February, we will not be able to loan players (my understanding) but we can still bring in free agents. I am sure a lot of clubs will be letting players go during this final full week, somebody might just appear who can do a job for us until the end of the season.

Why are we debating McGowan at this stage of the season. He's gone to another club and quite frankly I couldn't give two f**ks. He's a liability off the park and will most likely be serving a custodial jail sentence some time in the near future.

He couldn't lace Kenny McLeans boots and the same goes for the kid Mallan, both are streets ahead of him in ability.

Why are we debating McGowan at this stage of the season. He's gone to another club and quite frankly I couldn't give two f**ks. He's a liability off the park and will most likely be serving a custodial jail sentence some time in the near future.

He couldn't lace Kenny McLeans boots and the same goes for the kid Mallan, both are streets ahead of him in ability.

He was a moody shadow of himself by the end of his time with us anyway.

McGowan should have been kept on with a contract that said he could not be in trouble or else he would be released

When McGowan got told to leave I felt like the only person on here who thought it was a bad decision to give away one of our best players who has experience of playing for Celtic in spl and Europe as well as nearly getting a Scotland call up. We were never going to replace someone of that quality but yet our support were all saying good riddance!