Arquin

The whole issue of refereeing standards and appeals is turning into a farce, with the SFA stuck in the middle of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to spin the Arquin decision as a technicality.

On the basis of some of the officials decisions that we've seen this season, I genuinely now have no idea what is going to constitute a Yellow or Red card in a game, and whether it's going to be overturned at a later date. To me, games are now refereed in such a haphazard manner that what is a Yellow or Red card in the second half of a game may only a warrant a ticking off in the first half.

The fast track appeals panel seem to increasingly be overturning decisions, but the SFA are treading a thin line here. I'm just waiting for the Head of Referees or an ex referee to voice their unhappiness at what's going on.

Yes, unless I'm mistaken it was him who said to the ref, certain red , a sending off.

Wrong ya sac

I believe they're saying that the offence did constitute a red , but because the 4th official alerted the ref when the ball was out of play then the offence should have been "serious foul play" rather than the "violent conduct" which the ref reported him for , and that that grey area means they have to downgrade to a yellow. I know , I don't understand it either !

I believe they're saying that the offence did constitute a red , but because the 4th official alerted the ref when the ball was out of play then the offence should have been "serious foul play" rather than the "violent conduct" which the ref reported him for , and that that grey area means they have to downgrade to a yellow. I know , I don't understand it either !

Sounds they are just saving face here

He would have written down that Arquin stamped on the boy

That wasn't the case,so they have came up with this pish

Serious foul play and violent conduct are both red card offences

Sounds the ref and his cohorts have spat the dummy at them and they have came up with pish

Serious foul play and violent conduct are both red card offences

Yes I know , but it looks like the refs inability to differentiate between them has saved us a suspension.

nb. the incident was reported on Saturday as serious foul play , but the player was cited for violent conduct.

Edited by billyg

Mentioned it before - the ball was already out of play when Arquin made the challenge. The ref is even signalling for a throw in before the fourth official gets involved. I don't think it's a mistake in the ref's report, more that they felt it wasn't worthy of a red card because the ball was out. Weird one - surely it could also be classed as an off the ball offence as play has stopped!

Mentioned it before - the ball was already out of play when Arquin made the challenge. The ref is even signalling for a throw in before the fourth official gets involved. I don't think it's a mistake in the ref's report, more that they felt it wasn't worthy of a red card because the ball was out. Weird one - surely it could also be classed as an off the ball offence as play has stopped!

Not sure what it could be classed as Stu, other than a twat Highland fourth official trying to give a Highland team a helping hand by abusing his position to get a West of Scotland team down to ten men in a hugely important game. An otherwise un-interested referee and referee's assistant are about to get on with the game until this bawbag Teuchter sees his chance and takes it.

Cheat. IMHO.

I thought the ref Wed was good and how often have I said that this season. Yes we won game but we were thrashing them before the sending off, then Packie Bonnar says it was a red, total crap, so far Thommo which was harsh, McLean both massively impacted result

I have faith we will finish 10th but if we do, what an achievement. Anyway its Friday, we are unbeaten in 2 games, we have doubled our home points and come Sat will treble to 6, we will be 10th and onwards and upwards.

This technicality doesn't make much sense. What is the source?

Speaking as someone who as written hundreds of these ref reports before, the ball being out is irrelevant.

Looks like the ref or ref source feeding the journalist nonsense to try save face to me.

This technicality doesn't make much sense. What is the source?

Speaking as someone who as written hundreds of these ref reports before, the ball being out is irrelevant.

Looks like the ref or ref source feeding the journalist nonsense to try save face to me.

There was a bit in The Sun today. As the ball was already out of play it was deemed only to be worthy of a yellow card.

There was a bit in The Sun today. As the ball was already out of play it was deemed only to be worthy of a yellow card.

That's a nonsensical argument. Players have received red cards for a bust-up in the tunnel after the game etc.

Edited by Drew

The position of the ball is irrelevant. Refs can change their mind about any decision as long as play hasn't restarted.

I think it's been overturned because it clearly wasn't a red card!

Just grabbed the paper. Essentially:

Ref made decision based on fourth official

Fourth official said it was violent conduct as the ball was out of play

Panel saw ref hadn't blown and play continued

As a result they decided it was "recklessly dangerous play" and dropped it to a booking.

Edited by Stu

Just grabbed the paper. Essentially:

Ref made decision based on fourth official

Fourth official said it was violent conduct as the ball was out of play

Panel saw ref hadn't blown and play continued

As a result they decided it was "recklessly dangerous play" and dropped it to a booking.

Ergo, clueless.

On Arquin generally, the message that came through loud and clear from the Staggies on P&B was that as long as he felt wanted, and was in a good frame of mind, then he'd be a good player for us.

I hope this appeal pays off in more ways than one: he should feel welcomed, and like he's at a club that values his contribution enough to mount that appeal. I hope he smacks in a couple tomorrow to pay us back. thumbup2.gif

To me - a good forward can be any one or combination of:

Good at getting in positions to receive an out ball, hold it up until he has support and has ability to consistently assist goals.

Doesn't have to have any footballing skill whatsoever but has an eye for goal and can score lots.

A combination of both of the above.

Forwards don't HAVE to be great footballers, and don't HAVE to individually score loads as long as they make up in one area what they lack in others.