Redundancies

Jim Goodwin seems to take an unbelievable amount of stick on here. He like others in the side has faults but he at least shows that he cares about the club. On more than a few occasions this season he has single handedly carried the team. We should win and lose as a team, what we shouldn't have is certain certain senior players using their hero status to strut about with a petted lip to the detriment of the team as a whole.

Time is up for Goodwin, as it ought to be for around 80% of those who have featured in this debacle of a season.

I think he has suffered, as, no doubt, have many, as a result of the woeful managerial appointments, but he was also a coach under Craig, and failed to lead by example.

I can't see the point in keeping any of the senior players, and, regretfully, I include Thompson. We can't keep talking about the requirement for a clear-out only to then make concessions that aren't based on cold, hard analysis of what has been a disastrous campaign.

If we only keep Mallan and Sadlier from the crop who played more than a handful of games, I wouldn't be concerned. They have potential to make a mark. The same might be said of Naismith, Kelly, and McGinn, but they have been established in the 1st team for some time now and have failed to develop as we might have expected.

I still maintain that a top to bottom clear-out is needed. I wouldn't wish anyone departing any ill, but the time has come for radical change.

Edited by Drew

Goodwin should be retained 100 percent. If we are going with the under 12s next year there has to be some experience. And if your saying jimson finished then next week is cheerio thommo too then. I suspect this bullshit rumour will be put to bed. Thompson and Goodwin will both be important to saints as we have no money to replace them.with experience. Let's see who the manager is going to be first

Goodwin was immense in our one nil win v thistle in.January. He is not finished and again dave st.mirren will rise again and continue our proud history. We have won something twice in past thirty years and we have never been in administration. Our team is down but our fans will ensure that this club doesn't languish for long

I for one will be bitterly disappointed if Goodwin is not with us next season he is the experienced player we are going to need in a young team. Agree Teale should be replaced. As for Thommo his father in law said he is still having pain on the injury that hAs affected him all season so make no mistake it's not a petted lip that's wrong with him.

I'm astonished so many of our fans think Goodwin had a good season.

For me he was an absolute liability, right from the very first game of the season when he stupidly got himself sent off. That was arguably as well as I saw us play all season and he completely screwed it up for us with a moment of utter stupidity.

He managed to get retrospectively suspended for elbowing a Dundee Utd player. We were 3-0 down at the time and that cost us his services for a further 3 games.

Granted once he came back he screwed the nut and wasn't bad but for me he is distinctly average at Centre Half. His best position was in the holding midfield role and frankly most games passed him by this season on the rare occasion he did manage to get a game in there.

His season was summed up for me in the Ross County game where he cost us all three goals and also played a big part in the red card as it was him who played the County player onside. Watch this again closely and see for yourself;

As a cup winning captain I'll always respect Jim Goodwin, but his time at the club is up IMO.

We need a keeper, so I hope Ridgers stays. Sadlier, Kelly, Naismith, McGinn, Baird, Mallan and a couple of the other kids have promise and a bit of experience now, so I hope all the young kids stay. Dayton looks like he cares, so I hope he stays.

Everyone else, including everyone who has been part of short-lived managerial teams, possible dressing room cliques, and/or noses out of joint for being overlooked and/or bumped up to a coaching role, then bumped back down..... I wouldn't keep.

We need a clear out. We need to rebuild under new ownership and management, with a core of kids who can hopefully keep us in the Championship for five or so seasons until we have indeed rebuilt the club into something approaching one that is run progressively from the top down and we can move forward. If this does indeed mean us being a Championship club for at least five seasons - I can accept that. Then look forward to the next St Mirren side that resembles a 'Lavety & Yardley' style one.

This one is finished. It needs wound up and completely dismantled.

Really sad, but true unfortunately. Anyone who thinks we're going back to the top flight any time soon is kidding themselves on.

Really sad, but true unfortunately. Anyone who thinks we're going back to the top flight any time soon is kidding themselves on.

it's a lot easier to get out the championship than days gone. Does that mean I think we will do it ? As a Saints fan I hope so but to judge a team before we know who is in it and leading it is just bitterness bullshit !

it's a lot easier to get out the championship than days gone. Does that mean I think we will do it ? As a Saints fan I hope so but to judge a team before we know who is in it and leading it is just bitterness bullshit !

It's easier because of the playoff route rather than just one up one down. To offset that, the second tier might have The Rangers, Hibs, and Motherwell in it. Or Ross County with Uncle Roy to bankroll them.

That makes it hard as fcuk to get out. Oh, and Falkirk are no mugs either!

It's easier because of the playoff route rather than just one up one down. To offset that, the second tier might have The Rangers, Hibs, and Motherwell in it. Or Ross County with Uncle Roy to bankroll them.

That makes it hard as fcuk to get out. Oh, and Falkirk are no mugs either!

that's true and the league cup quarter final had Aberdeen the semi had Celtic and the final had Hearts strange things happen in football .if we were going down with the same crop of players I would be worried , we won't be we don't know who we will have that's my point.

that's true and the league cup quarter final had Aberdeen the semi had Celtic and the final had Hearts strange things happen in football .if we were going down with the same crop of players I would be worried , we won't be we don't know who we will have that's my point.

Yes, but Celtic, Hearts, and Aberdeen are always in the Scottish Cup, and indeed the League Cup. Clubs like those lie in wait every season for any of us, St Mirren or Inverurie Locos. Normally, in 'Division 1' there aren't The Rangers / Hibs / Motherwell / Killie / Ross County. It's usually the Raith Rovers and Cowdenbeath types... with all due respect to those clubs. It's swings and roundabouts to an extent.

On one hand, this isn't the worst time to drop down - parachute payments. Conversely, it is one of the hardest times to drop down - because of what will be bigger and likely better clubs than us. The playoff route gives a previously unavailable route, but negotiating games possibly against The Rangers / Motherwell / then the 11th placed top flight team makes it a bloody tough ask.

I agree though that without seeing the make-up of the 2016 St Mirren side who knows? However, do you think the make up of that side is likely to be particularly strong? In the not so recent past, we supplemented a half-decent core of guys like McLean, Teale, Thompson and a few-years-younger Goodwin, with guys like Dummet, Goncalves and Newton. Even with a cup winning team, we still pissed around in the bottom six, never even enjoying one top six season in the sun. Who will join us now we are a Championship side already visibly making people redundant within the club infrastructure? Well, I say visibly, but it isn't visible at all. Some fans never knew Mathers, the physio and folk at Ralston had been made redundant.

No, we do not know the 2016 squad, but I am not expecting to have my socks knocked off by who is in it. Not by a long way. Strap yourselves in for a bumpy ride folks - if we don't do a 'Dunfermline' or 'Morton' and drop down even further that will be a result.

Talk of bouncing back and challenging The Rangers / Hibs / Motherwell / County / Killie / Falkirk / Queens... I don't see it, not even close. SG and Co are already quietly making cutbacks and the season hasn't ended.

This may seem a bit doom and gloom to some but.......I've experienced two St Mirren relegations, and haven't got any great hopes of us bouncing back next season. The first time it took us 8 years to get back up, and 5 years the second time. The harsh facts are that the whole club will shrink, with less staff, the squad will be thin and likely to be lacking in quality, with a reliance (over reliance?) on young players. Of the current players, those that are cheap have the greatest chance of being kept on, so I think we can forget ability or this season's performances as being a guide to who will stay/go.

I think we're likely to be a Falkirk in the coming years, with an extended term in the second tier. I hope I'm wrong but history shows that we're not going to replicate Hearts in bouncing back straight away.

This may seem a bit doom and gloom to some but.......I've experienced two St Mirren relegations, and haven't got any great hopes of us bouncing back next season. The first time it took us 8 years to get back up, and 5 years the second time. The harsh facts are that the whole club will shrink, with less staff, the squad will be thin and likely to be lacking in quality, with a reliance (over reliance?) on young players. Of the current players, those that are cheap have the greatest chance of being kept on, so I think we can forget ability or this season's performances as being a guide to who will stay/go.

I think we're likely to be a Falkirk in the coming years, with an extended term in the second tier. I hope I'm wrong but history shows that we're not going to replicate Hearts in bouncing back straight away.

We might well struggle to get back up mate, it's going to be a right hard league.

However we also need to remain positive. To have a chance of promotion we would only have to finish in the top four. That in itself will not be easy but it's certainly possible.

The club needs a clear out of the playing squad but in the likes of Baird, Mallan, McLear, Morgan, Brown, Reilly, Kelly & Naismith we have a nucleus of young players who with the right players and management around them can certainly hold their own in the Championship.

They key is going to be bringing in good quality experienced players around them and a good manager. If we get the managerial appointment right there is no reason why we can't put in a serious promotion challenge next season.

Need to just wait and see how the squad shapes up over the summer. Going to be a lot of change.

It's hard right now but hopefully a positive summer will lead to a more positive campaign next season.

We might well struggle to get back up mate, it's going to be a right hard league.

However we also need to remain positive. To have a chance of promotion we would only have to finish in the top four. That in itself will not be easy but it's certainly possible.

The club needs a clear out of the playing squad but in the likes of Baird, Mallan, McLear, Morgan, Brown, Reilly, Kelly & Naismith we have a nucleus of young players who with the right players and management around them can certainly hold their own in the Championship.

They key is going to be bringing in good quality experienced players around them and a good manager. If we get the managerial appointment right there is no reason why we can't put in a serious promotion challenge next season.

Need to just wait and see how the squad shapes up over the summer. Going to be a lot of change.

It's hard right now but hopefully a positive summer will lead to a more positive campaign next season.

This.

But we should be looking for a management team that will use the Levein/ Neilson model, 2 or three training sessions a day, with an emphasis on personal development of our young players, focusing on tactical awareness as much as fitness and set piece training.

It may well be years before we can seriously challenge for promotion, but it should not be years before we try to put ourselves up there for the fight.