St Mirren V Livingston League Cup 2Nd Round 25/8/15

shull

It's very Tommy Craig-esque.

The players don't look like they know what they're supposed to be doing and we always seem to be 5 yards away from the ball.

Anytime the ball lands in the area between forward and midfield or defence and midfield, we are in trouble cos we are so static without the ball. If we put an extra midfielder in then our lone forward is isolated.

In short, it was really bad tonight.

Genuine question (bearing in mind I wasn't there tonight):

From a tactical point of view, what would folk have had Murray do differently?

The squad we have is what we currently have, but should the line-up have been different, and, if so, in what way?

Not sit in and continually invite pressure. I've seen enough about us to suggest that we're good enough and technically competent enough to be actually dictating the pace of games. It's almost as if he's stuck in this 'part-time manager' mindset in that he thinks every single team is going to cause us problems.

Make no mistake, if we'd actually taken the game to Livingston tonight, we'd have won quite easily. Instead, everything seems to be so deep. A lack of players supporting attacks, no real zip or cohesion to our play and a lot or running about chasing balls like headless chickens, yet still putting little or no pressure on the opposition whilst doing so.

Genuine question (bearing in mind I wasn't there tonight):

From a tactical point of view, what would folk have had Murray do differently?

The squad we have is what we currently have, but should the line-up have been different, and, if so, in what way?

Build a squad as soon as you get the job

Dont f**k off on coaching courses

Dont bring in loan players who are not up to it

Pick players to support the forward..or..

Pick more than one player capable of playing up front

Drop Kelly he isnt up to it

And most importantly.... How good an idea "waiting till the end of august" looks now to recruit players you needed in July..?

I havnt seen a game plan or any tactics since murray became our manager ,we look totally lost in every game we have played while he stands there whispering into his assistants ear ,but like last year the board will kid on it will get better until its too late ,murray is beginning to make tommy craig look decent ,,

There was bad luck tonight but we were bullied in Midfield and the distribution from the defence is atrocious. Defensive midfield is non existent without Goodwin but he is clearly being targeted by opponents and refs. Struggling with injuries now too. New faces badly needed before what is now bound to be a very tetchy game on Saturday.

Eh? 3 league games in to the season and the squad isn't even assembled yet. Some will say that it should be, but it is what it is. I will make no judgements until we have finished the 1st quarter. Far far better St Mirren teams have been humbled over the years by even worse than Livi. Forfar, Brechin to name but 2

That's not the issue mate...defeat is acceptable. The issue is that we're going down almost cluelessly to teams we are man-for-man clearly better than on a weekly basis.

I havnt seen a game plan or any tactics since murray became our manager ,we look totally lost in every game we have played while he stands there whispering into his assistants ear ,but like last year the board will kid on it will get better until its too late ,murray is beginning to make tommy craig look decent ,,

I can just see Murray in Tommy's Farah's now....

There was bad luck tonight but we were bullied in Midfield and the distribution from the defence is atrocious. Defensive midfield is non existent without Goodwin but he is clearly being targeted by opponents and refs. Struggling with injuries now too. New faces badly needed before what is now bound to be a very tetchy game on Saturday.

What bad luck. We were f**king awful. What our 2 center backs were doing for third goal Christ only knows.

In truth, after Livi's equalizer, which was totally down to Langfield's misjudgement, I never thought we'd win this match. Even Mallan's wonder strike didn't raise my hopes any.

When I heard the team read out with Goodie in there and two up front I really had a good feeling and, after we went ahead, the optimism was firmly in my heart. But... The way we gave Livi a helping hand to take the lead they bullied us and looked more like the home team.

It s going to be a loooonnnnggg haaaardddd seasonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Edited by stlucifer

In truth, after Livi's equalizer, which was totally down to Langfield's misjudgement, I never thought we'd win this match. Even Mallan's wonder strike didn't raise my hopes any.

When I heard the team read out I really had a good feeling and, after we went ahead, the optimism was firmly in my heart. But... The way we gave Livi a helping hand to take the lead they bullied us and looked more like the home team.

It s going to be a loooonnnnggg haaaardddd seasonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

The only think that'll be " loooonnnnggg haaaardddd" for you. lol.gif

Outplayed?

Can you please mention the "fluke,jammy" goals we've lost and other goals due to "penalties" and the "stonewall" penalty we were denied tonight?

FFS, I despair at the one sided views we get on here.

Not denying results have been disappointing but the refusal to see some positive signs from a new manager and young team really fcuks me off.

We were outpassed,outplayed and outfought tonight.Players thought it was game over in the 8th min.I'll really disappointed tonight.

Livy tactics were a disgrace from kick off but they were successful tactics.

I'm scunnered.

Mr Murray is lucky all the talk will be about how disgraceful Mark Burchill & his Livingston team were as it'll mask the fact we are truly atrocious.

The bare minimum i/we ask for is fight and desire and nobody apart from maybe Gallacher showed that tonight. The amount of players dancing out of tackles was unbelievable. Get right in about them and let them know we're not a team to be bullied - especially at home.

I'll give Murray time but we're looking like a bog standard junior team and it's f**king worrying.

Not sit in and continually invite pressure. I've seen enough about us to suggest that we're good enough and technically competent enough to be actually dictating the pace of games. It's almost as if he's stuck in this 'part-time manager' mindset in that he thinks every single team is going to cause us problems.

Make no mistake, if we'd actually taken the game to Livingston tonight, we'd have won quite easily. Instead, everything seems to be so deep. A lack of players supporting attacks, no real zip or cohesion to our play and a lot or running about chasing balls like headless chickens, yet still putting little or no pressure on the opposition whilst doing so.

Thank you for that.

What you are saying about sitting too deep chimes with my own impressions from watching three matches.

God this is depressing... even Tommy Craig's team last season were initially playing some good football and having some bad breaks, but this season we are stumbling from bad to worse.

I accept players need to gel but we seem bereft of leadership on the park and a set of tactics.

Livi dominated this match from start to finish, controlled the midfield and looked far more adventurous and dangerous going forward.

Yes the referee spoiled the game early with so many yellows, yes we had no option to sub Goodwin giving the way tackles were flying, yes we were unlucky being forced to sub Watson which limited options in second half, but overall we offered only sporadic intelligent play going forward.

I accept the problems with playing such a young team, but I look at the opposition and do not see markedly better players, just a better organised team.

Hopes of challenging for play offs fading fast..... the clock is ticking