Would Chic Charnley Be A Welcome Addition To The Coaching Staff?

ErnieT

Here..?

a traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but not authenticated.

"the legend of King Arthur"

synonyms: myth, saga, epic, folk tale, folk story, traditional story, tale, story, fairy tale, narrative, fable, romance; More

I was young at the time, but wasn't his final spell at the club more of a saga than a legend?

My memories of Charnley at St Mirren are a little hazy, but I seem to remember him scoring directly from a free kick from an impossible angle at Love Street (my mental image is placing it somewhere around Cairter's Corner - anyone remember it?).

That aside, did he not leave under a cloud after gobbing in someone's face during a match?

Like I said, my memories of him are hazy but I certainly wouldn't place him in the 'legend' category..

I recall a match when the manager and/or players insisted in taking every corner short. It was a hopeless tactic from the first attempt, and the support in the LS end (myself included) were becoming increasingly frustrated. Charnley's response? He gave us the finger.

Now, I'm fine with players giving a bit back when they are abused from the stands, but, that afternoon, Charnley was simply and overtly demonstrating his absolute disregard and contempt for the St Mirren supporters. He was a legend in his own mind, and bellend in the minds of most others.

My memories of Charnley at St Mirren are a little hazy, but I seem to remember him scoring directly from a free kick from an impossible angle at Love Street (my mental image is placing it somewhere around Cairter's Corner - anyone remember it?).

That aside, did he not leave under a cloud after gobbing in someone's face during a match?

Like I said, my memories of him are hazy but I certainly wouldn't place him in the 'legend' category..

Was that against Ayr at Somerset? Recall Basher getting sent off and I think we ended up with 8 men that day.