January Window

Drew

I can't see a specific thread as yet, so thought I'd kick this off. I'm not thinking so much about specific players (hence why I haven't posted this in the Rumour Mill), more in terms areas we need to focus on.

Right back is obviously an issue, as Watson could be away in January, and Reid is an emergency loan. Even if Naismith is recovering well, he will need time to regain match sharpness over several weeks. I would be inclined to keep Reid at RB, with Watson slotting in at centre half.

The midfield is too lightweight, and we could do with someone in there who can dominate the area and distribute effectively. Goodwin ticks one box, but, like Naismith, will need time to fully recover from his injury.

Of course, we could do with more width in the team, but potentially have players who could do a turn if utilised properly.

Up front? Hmm. Sutton and/or Mehmet have been discussed. Much will depend on whether Shankland remains at the club (or McMullen, for that matter).

In summary, we could do with three or four new faces, depending on who might be heading in the other direction.

Thoughts?

I would expect Alex Rae's priority task to be an assessment of what he has in this squad and then to ship out those that don't fit in with his plans. IMO as many as 6 or 7 could depart in January with maybe as many new faces arriving. The idea of bringing in the likes of Sutton and/or Mehmet could be a step in the wrong direction. We should be looking ahead rather than backwards.

I would expect Alex Rae's priority task to be an assessment of what he has in this squad and then to ship out those that don't fit in with his plans. IMO as many as 6 or 7 could depart in January with maybe as many new faces arriving. The idea of bringing in the likes of Sutton and/or Mehmet could be a step in the wrong direction. We should be looking ahead rather than backwards.

It depends on who else would be available. Loan deals are always the most likely option in January, but we need to remember that we won't be the biggest draw just now, given our position.

As been discussed before, a lot were happy with our squad and said it was better than last years. What this season has shown apart from having a clueless ex manager is that Thommo is finished as a player and we miss Goodwin. So with Goodie coming back I would be happy see a Big CF who can hold the ball. This team has been way way down on confidence, that may well turn quick and a positive result against Livi may show that we are not that short .

Ton played Raith off the park but lost, with confidence we are not far away from 4th in this league, we are however miles off 3rd

A word of caution.

We should not be too hasty in unloading players who failed to perform for Ian Murray.

Maybe Alex Rae can get more out of them at least until the end of the season.

We have off-loaded more than a few players in recent years who have gone on to perform better with other clubs.

On the other hand, Rae may be able to suss out the losers fairly quickly, but a max of 6 weeks is not a lot of time to assess a player unless he has been able to form an opinion based on his previous role as a TV pundit.

A word of caution.

We should not be too hasty in unloading players who failed to perform for Ian Murray.

Maybe Alex Rae can get more out of them at least until the end of the season.

We have off-loaded more than a few players in recent years who have gone on to perform better with other clubs.

On the other hand, Rae may be able to suss out the losers fairly quickly, but a max of 6 weeks is not a lot of time to assess a player unless he has been able to form an opinion based on his previous role as a TV pundit.

I agree with this. I thought Shankland, Gallagher and McMullen looked a lot more threatening on Saturday. Getting Watson in at centre half helped as well, although I'm not sure that it's his best position.

Guys like Gow, Conlon and Howieson are past help though.

I agree with this. I thought Shankland, Gallagher and McMullen looked a lot more threatening on Saturday. Getting Watson in at centre half helped as well, although I'm not sure that it's his best position.

Guys like Gow, Conlon and Howieson are past help though.

I'm not so sure about Howieson. I think there is a player in there. He was very effective against (an albeit shite) Dunfermline. Indeed, he got my nomination for MotM that day.

Again, if utilised appropriately, I think he could do us a turn.

I'm not so sure about Howieson. I think there is a player in there. He was very effective against (an albeit shite) Dunfermline. Indeed, he got my nomination for MotM that day.

Again, if utilised appropriately, I think he could do us a turn.

I agree. Add to that, he is an international player. You don't get called up for absolutely nothing. He hasn't had a run in the team and also to a preferred position.

We definitely lack one or two creative players in the middle. Agnew started off well, though he is beginning to like rather weak at times. Carswell has still to win me over, though the same as Howieson, i feel he needs a run of games.

Shankland has only started to get a run of games and under the new manager, I feel he can start to find some form, especially partnering Gallagher up front.

Having both Mehmet and Sutton, as well as our current strikers, I think we would be carrying too many players for that position. One or the other imo. Can Rae get better use out of Thommo? Possibly.

Reid has looked pretty good from what I have seen and may end up staying beyond his short loan deal, especially if Watson moves on.

Time for Thommo to retire and free up a wage. Hoping we don't release Goodwin by mutual consent if he is likely to be injured until the final few months of his contract.

Can see a mutual termination between the club and thompson very soon, he's been finished for a while now and his wage could be better used elsewhere.

Thompson is certainly capable of performing better than he has done under Murray.

But why should he voluntarily give up his main source of income?

I (and many others I would presume) would love to see the genuine article instead of the pale shadow we have witnessed in recent weeks for whatever reason.

Mehmet offers more than Sutton imho and we should sign him regardless as he is a terrific worker and could play in a number of positions.

Conlan can go as Stewart is better anyway. . McMullan can also go and let Morgan take that position.

Howieson is under contract but I do not think he brings much to the table and would be happy to see him go but it is unlikely. Same for Agnew and Carswell. And Gow should just go.

We need another centre half and a right back. Naismith wont be back until March and although I really like Baird he needs a break. So keeping Watson and Reid would do me unless we can get better for these positions.

If Shankland goes then try and get Sutton on loan. I would like to see Thommo get a gig as player/manager somewhere and make a start on his managerial career which would also free some cash.

We really need another experienced and decent midfielder to play alongside Mallan until Goody is fit. McMullan's and Conlan's wages may cover that.

Besides the above I do not think there is much scope to bring in anyone else as Ridgers should be back so that is another wage we are paying.

So I can only see cash coming from Conlan and McMullan at the end of loan deals and perhaps Thommo going elsewhere. And possibly from Shankland's loan ending. Not much room to play with.

EDIT TO ADD: I noticed Shaun Rooney scored a winner for high flying Dunfermline. 'One that got away' who could have helped at right-back until Naismith was fit and saved a higher wage. Murray's eye for a player was abysmal.

Edited by Sonny

I can't see Thompson leaving before the end of the season. I wasn't too enthusiastic about him staying beyond last summer, but can understand why it was felt that he could still play a part. Turns out it has been a bit part. Shame, but it definitely seems that his time is up. Who knows, though, he might find a spark under the new manager.

There is a good chance Mehmet will be coming back. Player wants to come, but final decision will be up to the manager of course. He'll have to decide 1) if that is a position he wants to strengthen, 2) if Mehmet is better than what we currently have, and 3) how much of his remaining budget he will want

As for Sutton coming back, I think you can forget that one, I'd be amazed if that happened.

EDIT TO ADD: I noticed Shaun Rooney scored a winner for high flying Dunfermline. 'One that got away' who could have helped at right-back until Naismith was fit and saved a higher wage. Murray's eye for a player was abysmal.

He was utter pish defensively when we humped them in the Petrofac cup, and was hooked with half an hour to go.

Mehmet offers more than Sutton imho and we should sign him regardless as he is a terrific worker and could play in a number of positions.

Conlan can go as Stewart is better anyway. . McMullan can also go and let Morgan take that position.

Howieson is under contract but I do not think he brings much to the table and would be happy to see him go but it is unlikely. Same for Agnew and Carswell. And Gow should just go.

We need another centre half and a right back. Naismith wont be back until March and although I really like Baird he needs a break. So keeping Watson and Reid would do me unless we can get better for these positions.

If Shankland goes then try and get Sutton on loan. I would like to see Thommo get a gig as player/manager somewhere and make a start on his managerial career which would also free some cash.

We really need another experienced and decent midfielder to play alongside Mallan until Goody is fit. McMullan's and Conlan's wages may cover that.

Besides the above I do not think there is much scope to bring in anyone else as Ridgers should be back so that is another wage we are paying.

So I can only see cash coming from Conlan and McMullan at the end of loan deals and perhaps Thommo going elsewhere. And possibly from Shankland's loan ending. Not much room to play with.

I though Rooney was awful in the 4-0 drubbing we gave Dunfermline. Everyone can have a bad game but based on that, he was nowhere near good enough.

He was utter pish defensively when we humped them in the Petrofac cup, and was hooked with half an hour to go.

Agree he had a poor game however I still think he has enough to make it. He is now getting a regular game for Dunfermline who are 6 points clear in the First Division and will probably be playing in the Championship next season.

I don't know if there is any substance to the Billy Memhet rumours but would have him back in a heart beat if possible and affordable!

We don't know if Watson,Reid and Shankland are staying!

I think we need 3-4 player's at least 2 defenders a midfielder and a Striker!

We have player's we need rid of Gow and Conlan in particular.

McMullans a strange one he has pace and looked threatening at the start of the season!

When running he causes problems draws fouls.

Was it Clueless Murray unable to get a performace out McMullan or is he just pace and nothing else?

Gow should never have got a contract even last season total wage theif!

If Alex Rae doesn't like the look of McMullan or Conlan then it's easy to end there agreements and send them back to there parent club's..

I think you would have very few takers for Gow! And don't see him leaving by Mutual consent!

I hope Thommo has a good last 6 months with us before retiring!

But if Rae thinks otherwise and can move him on and free up a decent wage fair enough!

Agree he had a poor game however I still think he has enough to make it. He is now getting a regular game for Dunfermline who are 6 points clear in the First Division and will probably be playing in the Championship next season.

I would rather have Reid or Watson as replacements for Naismith, as I don't think Rooney would have coped with the unholy mess we've got ourselves into.

Remember; we're really not very good and we still thrashed Dunfermline. Doesn't say much for the standard of the league below us.

He may or my not make it, but I'm not convinced, albeit that's based on very limited viewing of him.