Farewell David Bowie

saintstu

Remember what was (probably) his first TV appearance in the mid '60's where he defended the manliness of long hair - I shake my greying locks in tribute to him. Oh and that was a man's dress he wore on the cover of The Man Who Sold The World

As pozbaird said he rode the zeitgeist for about 15 years always in the forefront never six months too late and after disappearing from the singles charts in the late '80's was still confident enough in his own ability to make interesting music never resting on his laurels (in that respect he reminds me of the totally unfashionconscious Neil Young).

Too many great songs to single one out, although I sorta just did - RIP David.

Edit - Odds on Ziggy being this weeks No. 1?

Edited by Bud the Baker

Just listened to 'Queen Bitch'. Fcuking great track.

As with the death of John Lennon, I expect this sad development will reinvigorate interest in Bowie's music for many of us, and create a new generation of fans. His music was largely timeless, and so varied that it is hard to imagine that many people would struggle to find an album/period that is to their liking.

If you haven't caught his new album, Blackstar, I would recommend giving it a listen.

Edited by Drew

As with the death of John Lennon, I expect this sad development will reinvigorate interest in Bowie's music for many of us, and create a new generation of fans. His music was largely timeless, and so varied that it is hard to imagine that many people would struggle to find an album/period that is to their liking.

If you haven't caught his new album, Blackstar, I would recommend giving it a listen.

Will check it out on iTunes. Tin Machine were shite though, as was kneeling and doing the Lord's Prayer at Wembley... That aside though, cool dude right to the end.

Will check it out on iTunes. Tin Machine were shite though, as was kneeling and doing the Lord's Prayer at Wembley... That aside though, cool dude right to the end.

Aye, Tin Machine were indeed baws. I didn't like the Let's Dance/China Girl era either. Certainly a mixed bag, but plenty to pick from.

Edited by Drew

Some of his music was a bit hit and miss for me. For every classic like Ziggy Stardust and Man Who Stole The World there was a Jean Genie or a Tin Machine.

My earliest memories of him when I was growing up was my teacher in Primary 5 bringing in the record "Peter and the Wolf" which he narrated. It was the first time one of my teachers had played music in class. We were all to sit in silence with our eyes closed. I think I got about half way through before falling asleep. The other one was of him being the guy who was responsible for The Laughing Gnome track that Tony Blackburn used to play every single Saturday morning on his radio show - while "Arnold" barked all the way through it.

There's no doubt he was a massive influence on music at the time though. It was the Bowie Nights at Billys Nightclub and Blitz in Soho that inspired a generation of acts like Visage, Culture Club, Spandau Ballet, Marilyn, and Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

Got his new album on Saturday and was very happily playing it to death over the weekend satisfied in the knowledge he was still creating interesting and innovative music. Couldn't believe the news this morning.

So many great songs to pick from; Life on Mars?, Andy Warhol, The Bewlay Brothers, Lady Grinning Soul, the whole of the Diamond Dogs album, "Heroes", Station to Station, Boys Keep Swinging, Let's Dance, Absolute Beginners, etc. Recently heard Sound & Vision and it being described as "so far ahead of its time we're not there yet". Same could be said abut the man himself.

Very saddened indeed. sad.png

Funnily enough I was jamming the guitar parts of 'The Man Who Sold the World' the other day, arguably my favourite Bowie tune. Like many here, I was probably more of a 'greatest hits' kind of a Bowie fan, only owning the 'Man who...' and Hunky Dory albums outside that. My old gran used to love Space Oddity, and may she be pouring the unfortunate Mr Jones a cup of tea and cutting him a slice of her Donegal soda bread in the celestial back stage club tonight...

I liked Bowie... Respected him... Enjoyed much of his music.

He was innovative, creative and talented.

But am I alone in being a tad uncomfortable at the near public hysteria following his sad death?

Seems to be the modern way... lady Di... Michael Jackson... and now David Bowie.

Totally respect him... but just not comfortable with the mass hysteria.

But am I alone in being a tad uncomfortable at the near public hysteria following his sad death?

Seems to be the modern way... lady Di... Michael Jackson... and now David Bowie.

I understand where you're coming from Brian but, in this instance, I believe Bowie was truly an institution heralded as the undisputed father of the modern Rock and Roll era.

Wouldn't say there's been mass hysteria. Seems a similar amount of coverage to when John Lennon was killed. The whole 'carpet of flowers' thing outside the Bowie mural in Brixton can, in my humble opinion, be explained in great part by many people wanting to try and get their mugs on the telly.

My favourite Bowie memory is taping Diamond Dogs on the John Peel show when it was released. He played Side 1 in its entirety, flipped it over and played Side 2. Sound quality must have been horrific, Medium Wave (AM for the youngsters), mono and a pre-Dolby cassette doesn't make for crystal clear recordings but I remember being well chuffed with it...happy days in simpler times. RIP one of the most influential rock stars ever.

Just watched the hastily-sewn-together BBC tribute. That DJ wummin' Lauren Laverne... FFS. 'We've lost a leader, someone we needed to show us how to live our lives in this modern world. Someone to lead us. What are we going to do now?'

I know exactly what you should do hen... Away and fcuk yer'sel!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9mfZbTFbk

Edited by pozbaird