Stephen Mallan and Dundee

div

15 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I can't see them parting with the lot for Stevie so I still think their valuation will be well short of what our expectations should be.

No disagreement from me on that. If Josh Magennis can attract a fee of £250K, FFS....

I would expect good money for Mallan given goals from Midfield, but I reckon 250k-350k, 25%+ sell on fee, and a player or 2 (Gowser?) might be tempting. We should try and sell him to Allan Stubbs at Rotherham since he clearly has cash to spend and a preference for buying players he knows from the Scottish game.

29 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

£250,000 plus a player ?

He was our top scorer, from midfield, in a poor side. He was getting plaudits from all quarters the season before and early in the last campaign. If Magennis is worth £250,000 then at least double that plus a reasonable sell on clause before we even sniff at a deal.

Tbh, I think if they offer 150k he'll be away. No great loss, he's a commodity we cannot afford this season, we need players who are gonna get up n down the pitch and do a shift, that's not Mallan.

Specsavers for you mate. One bad game does not make a player bad. He scored 14 goals last season. Rae was playing him far too deep last week.

Specsavers for you mate. One bad game does not make a player bad. He scored 14 goals last season. Rae was playing him far too deep last week.

250k for a coo like Magennis from a prem league team, its only reasonable to say that a prem league team won't pay that for a player who won't walk into their team.

We'll see re Mallan, happy to be disproved, but i I suspect he doesn't want to do the hard part of the game, happy to take free kicks and fanny about in the middle of the park, track back, no no no.

11 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

They'll have seen McLean go for £300k, that may turn out to be their final offer but they'll test the water with a few lower bids first.

Did we actually get that much for McLean?

Regarding, Mallan being "no great loss", it always is a good laugh to see how clueless some of our support are.  This will be from the same crowd that saw McGinn and McLean as useless luxuries too, before they signed for bigger clubs and went straight in to the Scotland squad.

Mallan is an exceptional talent that we should be coaching properly and looking to sell on for 1 to 2m.

My only concern is the hoofball merchants we have as the management team may not make St Mirren the best place for him to develop his talents much further.

7 hours ago, Kemp said:

Did we actually get that much for McLean?

Regarding, Mallan being "no great loss", it always is a good laugh to see how clueless some of our support are.  This will be from the same crowd that saw McGinn and McLean as useless luxuries too, before they signed for bigger clubs and went straight in to the Scotland squad.

Mallan is an exceptional talent that we should be coaching properly and looking to sell on for 1 to 2m.

My only concern is the hoofball merchants we have as the management team may not make St Mirren the best place for him to develop his talents much further.

Like he did last season? :wacko:

And you say some of the support are clueless? :lol:

Mallan an exceptional talent? Ok maybe playing out of position but can't tackle, can't pass a ball 5 yards to his own player. If he's good enough he would adapt. Sell him to Dundee get someone in with balls & willing to do the job. I'm waiting for the pelters to come, it's just my opinion.

Mallan an exceptional talent? Ok maybe playing out of position but can't tackle, can't pass a ball 5 yards to his own player. If he's good enough he would adapt. Sell him to Dundee get someone in with balls & willing to do the job. I'm waiting for the pelters to come, it's just my opinion.

Playing out of position? He's suppose to be a midfielder and that's where he is playing.

He's got talent at free kicks but still has a lot of improvement to do in all other aspects of the game.

If the money is good enough I'd sell him and get another Center mid in if possible maybe 2

2 hours ago, ged62 said:

Sit in the South Stand on Saturday and you will. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, ged62 said:

The same thing was said about  Kenny McLean and  John McGinn,young players are often inconsistent, and in a team that's light in the midfield and with no  midfield general to give them a bit of space to play, can be under a ridiculous amount of pressure to carry the  team

Said this before I would like to see Mallan in a Beckham type role on the right. Played there a few times in the SPL and with him crossing balls in without necessarily beating the full back Sutton and others would thrive. When is the last time Gal actually put in a cross? It would also take him out of a middle 2 where he suffers a wee bit in the physical side.

Mallan would get on a hell of a lot better if the keeper and back four actually gave him the ball instead of a long aimless punt up the park that immediately gets headed back meaning Mallan has to fight to gain possession when a teammate could have given him the ball in the first place.

250k for a coo like Magennis from a prem league team, its only reasonable to say that a prem league team won't pay that for a player who won't walk into their team.

We'll see re Mallan, happy to be disproved, but i I suspect he doesn't want to do the hard part of the game, happy to take free kicks and fanny about in the middle of the park, track back, no no no.

Rae has changed Mallan from a attacking midfielder no doubt for him to spray passes about. So far it is not working Mallan should be out back to where he shines , going forward 14 goals last term testfyes that. It's more important to have a physical midfielder in the roll of playing deep.

18 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Rae has changed Mallan from a attacking midfielder no doubt for him to spray passes about. So far it is not working Mallan should be out back to where he shines , going forward 14 goals last term testfyes that. It's more important to have a physical midfielder in the roll of playing deep.

It happens time and again in football, managers see a good player and want to "mould" him into what they want to see.  Worst case was Ian Ferguson's transition from a highly attacking player to Souness clone