Hibernian v St Mirren Championship 29/10/16

shull

Ahead of an away game to Morton we already find ourselves 11 points behind them. The only saving grace has been they haven't beaten us in ages in a league game. 

As usual we have had no 'new manager bounce', and the new manager has dropped most our top scorers (except Hardie - massive lols surely) to replace them with players with no league goals this season. I'm bamboozled by Hardie playing ahead of Walsh and then Walsh being left on the bench behind Magennis (being given a debut) and Gallagher.

While there are plenty of games left to make up the difference in points with 5 or 6 teams against us, the only way we can make up those points is by taking 3 points while they draw or lose). Ayr are showing they can pull a few wins out the hat. It's pretty clear we need to start picking up wins this month or we could soon find ourselves 10 points behind the teams above us and still without a win before December!

Of course relegation is a possibility however I do not believe it will happen. Maybe we have not being getting results lately but the team is playing better since Rae left and apparently today was very good in the first half Away to the league leaders. Wins in the next three games (Soaps Away and Dumbarton and Pars at Home) will lift us above both these teams. And January transfers could completely change the picture. I think Hardie, Walsh and Shankland loans end in Jan? - that would give us a few options to get other loan players in.

I wasn't at the game but Hibs fans are saying ' it could have been 6 if it wasn't for Langfield ' and ' St Mirren looked really bad today '.

I would love to think we could win the next three games, but how can I? We can't score and we can't defend. We haven't had a clean sheet in the league all season and we have scored once in the last three league games. Morton, Dumbarton and Dunfermline aren't good teams, but I think they're all better than us. As the league table shows.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if we went into December still looking for our first league win. I hope I'm wrong and maybe we will go to Greenock and win on Tuesday and everything will seem rosy again.

20 minutes ago, TopCat said:

They made mistakes of course.

They took over when we were mid table in the second tier and that's where they left us. They also cleared our debt, built us a new stadium and during their tenure we won a major title.

It's went downhill rapidly since they left that's for sure.

You on drugs ?  

The last three years of lack of investment , extremely poor management appointments & slide out of the premier cannot be turned round in just three months .  

The manager has had less than a handful of games with Raes players .  This mess needs time to sort out .

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Just now, saint in exile said:

You can't be that much of an arse sober, surely? :lol:

Anyway, we're in the shit.

All that early season hope, new regime, going to be in the play offs, then the slump, the manager binned, more hope, now....................

Difficult and going to need something special to get us out of this mess.

19 minutes ago, TopCat said:

The previous board were in charge for around 20 years. In that generation they had at the helm it was never this bad. To blame them is pretty bizarre IMO.

After they decided to cut Danny loose they appointed, Tommy Craig, Gary Teale, Iain Murray and Alex Rae. Who between got us into our current situation. If you don't blame the previous BOD who do you blame? 

16 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Of course relegation is a possibility however I do not believe it will happen. Maybe we have not being getting results lately but the team is playing better since Rae left and apparently today was very good in the first half Away to the league leaders. Wins in the next three games (Soaps Away and Dumbarton and Pars at Home) will lift us above both these teams. And January transfers could completely change the picture. I think Hardie, Walsh and Shankland loans end in Jan? - that would give us a few options to get other loan players in.

Yep - I agree with you here Sonny; I said in a post elsewhere that our first priority is to win the three team Championship with Dumbarton and Dunfermline - and I think we can win both those games in November.

Lets keep today in perspective - we lost 2-0 away to the league leaders, who have the biggest budget in the league and are red hot favourites to win it.

The two teams we NEED to catch (Dunfermline and Dumbarton) are unlikely to do any better against Hibs and both cut each others throats in the 1-1 draw today.

Deep breaths, steady nerves and stout hearts required as we navigate November. If we keep the heid all will be fine. :)

The target now is to catch Dunfermline and Dumbarton. That's achievable in the next few weeks. It's sore being so far behind Morton and PT Ayr but we need to forget about them just now.

We have home games in the 2nd quarter against all the teams immediately above us. Hopefully a few wins will get us competitive again.

13 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I wasn't at the game but Hibs fans are saying ' it could have been 6 if it wasn't for Langfield ' and ' St Mirren looked really bad today '.

I would love to think we could win the next three games, but how can I? We can't score and we can't defend. We haven't had a clean sheet in the league all season and we have scored once in the last three league games. Morton, Dumbarton and Dunfermline aren't good teams, but I think they're all better than us. As the league table shows.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if we went into December still looking for our first league win. I hope I'm wrong and maybe we will go to Greenock and win on Tuesday and everything will seem rosy again.

I wasn't there either but two half-time reports said we were playing and competing well and unlucky to be 2 down. Unfortunately the heads went down in the second half.

But there have been signs of improvement since Rae left. Jack has only seen his team play once so he is still checking out the squad. I still believe the players are underperforming overall but I believe we have a better squad than Dumbarton and Dunfermline. I do not tend to see things thru rose-tinted glasses and accept we could go down but my gut feeling is we will avoid the play-offs and finish 3rd or 4th bottom but with enough points to keep us from being to embroiled in squeaky-bum games at the end of the season.

You on drugs ?  

The last three years of lack of investment , extremely poor management appointments & slide out of the premier cannot be turned round in just three months .  

The manager has had less than a handful of games with Raes players .  This mess needs time to sort out .

It's worth noting that when Murray was appointed most of this forum was applauding them for making that choice.

Invest what money? We were 6th when they left and we are now 10th. We were never 10th in the second tier in November when they were in charge.

Rae made a mess of things in the summer, can hardly blame a board who wasn't there for that. He succeeded in keeping us up during their time there.

Of course this is nothing to do with Jack Ross. He's just a rookie manager who's learning on the job. Hopefully he's a fast learner.

After they decided to cut Danny loose they appointed, Tommy Craig, Gary Teale, Iain Murray and Alex Rae. Who between got us into our current situation. If you don't blame the previous BOD who do you blame? 

The reason we are tenth is the fault of Alex Raes summer recruitment. Or indeed the lack of it.

I think we are getting a bit carried away here. The guy is in the door 2 minutes give him a chance to change things. I like that he has went to 3 at the back with two wing backs, give them time to learn how he wants them to play, 2 games is nowhere near enough.

43 minutes ago, TopCat said:

16 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Invest what money? We were 6th when they left and we are now 10th. We were never 10th in the second tier in November when they were in charge.

Rae made a mess of things in the summer, can hardly blame a board who wasn't there for that. He succeeded in keeping us up during their time there.

Of course this is nothing to do with Jack Ross. He's just a rookie manager who's learning on the job. Hopefully he's a fast learner.

Yep , that`s fair enough. However ,you neglected to address the issues of a succession of poor appointments which resulted in a slow steady decline of the team , the club in general and the appetite of the paying punters for what was on offer.

Turning round the fortunes of a club which has seen a long , slow slide down the league is akin to turning an oil Tanker around. Before we can get it moving forward, we have to slow it down first and get it pointing in the right direction. 

I have said many times on here that we should be eternally grateful to Gilmour & Co for what they did for the club all those years ago...... but the fact is, they wanted out,they lost focus and they put the club in a perilous position.

A simple summary of who is at fault:

The previous board for a string of poor appointments.

The various managers for using their budgets badly, particularly Murray and Rae who would have had a reasonable amount to spend at this level, and for shite tactics.

The players for a string of shite performances and they now need to get their collective fingers out or we'll be playing in League One.

That about cover it?

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

You can't be that much of an arse sober, surely? :lol:

Anyway, we're in the shit.

All that early season hope, new regime, going to be in the play offs, then the slump, the manager binned, more hope, now....................

Difficult and going to need something special to get us out of this mess.

To quote ..... eh , you !!   

WOW ! REALLY !!  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

" Jamie Langfield saved a second-half penalty from Holt, but that was about the only positive aspect for the Paisley outfit. " [BBC match report]... surely 2 shots on target counts as a positive? 

We only had one against them at home. Therefore Jack Ross is twice as good a manager as Alex Rae.

Why is it any wonder we are still shipping goals and getting beat when we are still playing same players in the same positions with the same set up. Its time to not get beat, get Mallan tae f and someone in whos gonna kick anything that moves in the middle of the park.