Queens Park v St. Mirren Betfred Cup 24/7/18

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The issue with Mackenzie is he cannot play on artificial pitches anymore, and with three clubs now in the prem having them that means he would be unavailable for a minimum of six games, not counting the injuries he suffers from each season. It makes no sense to retain him.

dont know for sure, but i believe thats a similar issue with Eckersley.

I beleive we should of been recruiting above the level of Mac this season and certainly above Baird. Fact is we've brought in two CB that don't look anywhere near good enough. He's the best we have unless we want to go out again and spend more budget.

With your hairbrained idea of spending all our money on one striker, I don't see how we could do both. I actually just said to an Ayr fan in my work your £50k and Mullen comment, he spat his coffee over the desk. Said he'd be offended if you added a zero to that and would still want the club to say no. Then if the club did accepted that bid, he'd cut-up his season ticket on the spot. Welcome to reality :rolleyes:

I was pleased to see the line up before the match last night, 3 at the back is the best way to bed in new centre halves and should be used until we have a pairing that we feel comfortable with.

This brings around the problem of a lack of width unless we play the more unconvential way 3-4-3, but we simply don’t have the players for this system.

3-5-2 relies a lot on making use of set pieces, which we were dire at last night. Mullen winning fouls and decent balls in to the opposition box should be a priority.

It’s not pretty, but it’s effective.

After we settle into the league and look more comfortable then Stubbs can start to adjust and look to play better football.

I'm no getting this at all, do we just keep them for sentimental reasons or something, because they like to head into the Bankhouse 
for a few bevvy's now and again, Fcuksake man it's seem's Stubbs cant win either way..:blink:

Mate, read the post again. I’m not suggesting we keep them or not. The point that was being made was some fans aren’t happy with the way things have been handled in respect of some players being let go and the quality they are being replaced with.

Sentimentality aside, if Stubbs replaces MacKenzie, for instance, with someone with better ability then whilst that might be a shame for Gary it’s ultimately better for the club and that’s the most important thing. Neither Heaton or Kpekwa look to be an upgrade from what I’ve seen.

33 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I don't see how anyone can hold an injury against him, the games he played behind Jack is because we were a winning team, naturally he'd struggle to get back in, wouldn't be fair on Jack otherwise. He eventually won his place back and was fantastic. Baird never won the position back for the rest of the season. Everything from the first four games suggests he's currently the best we have in that position. 

We didn't need a bench warmer, we were flying. Jack Ross even said himself the signing was more for next season, he wasn't match sharp because he hadn't played much and his contract length backs-up he was signed for this year. 

Flynn has been poor, Mullen has been poor, neither have looked a shadow of what McShane or Reilly were when on form last season. Kellerman I think has only played in one game, 

We can't do what Middlesbourgh want at the deterement to our team. If Eck at LB and him at LM is better for us, it's a no brainer. 

You can't understand how anyone would take into account someone's injury record before offering them a contract? :wacko:

As for Hippo, well Jack Ross would say that, wouldn't he! He's hardly going to say he was signed as a bench warmer! A Falkirk reject was not signed as Lewis Morgan's replacement!

If McShane & Reilly were really flying then why did Jack Ross replace them?

As for Coulson, I'm presuming that if he's not played in the correct position then Middlesbrough may recall him. We'd then be left with the injury prone Eckersley! Coulson looks good going forward..... from left back! That doesn't mean he would be a good left winger! There is a reason he was converted to a left back!

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

You can't understand how anyone would take into account someone's injury record before offering them a contract? :wacko:

As for Hippo, well Jack Ross would say that, wouldn't he! He's hardly going to say he was signed as a bench warmer! A Falkirk reject was not signed as Lewis Morgan's replacement!

If McShane & Reilly were really flying then why did Jack Ross replace them?

As for Coulson, I'm presuming that if he's not played in the correct position then Middlesbrough may recall him. We'd then be left with the injury prone Eckersley! Coulson looks good going forward..... from left back! That doesn't mean he would be a good left winger! There is a reason he was converted to a left back!

That’s not what I said. You said he was a poor player did you not? Not fair to say someone’s poor because of an injury. He showed last season he is not. 

Why offer him a longer term deal? Makes no sense. Get another bench warmer in that will sign for six months. 

To try out Mullan  and they brought in Flynn who was keeping him out the team. Both been poor so far 

all speculation, not seen anyone say he must be player as LB. 

What has happened here is that you have made an arse of yourself and you are trying to backpeddle. :lol:
No biggie. Why get all upset and shrieky about it?

Usual deflection from you. You suggested I’d said something I hadn’t. The posts are there for you to review.

I’ve seen this pattern from you before so I’ll do you a favour and leave it here so there’s no more platform for you to try to be clever and make a fool of yourself.

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

That’s not what I said. You said he was a poor player did you not? Not fair to say someone’s poor because of an injury. He showed last season he is not. 

Why offer him a longer term deal? Makes no sense. Get another bench warmer in that will sign for six months. 

To try out Mullan  and they brought in Flynn who was keeping him out the team. Both been poor so far 

all speculation, not seen anyone say he must be player as LB. 

Correct, I did not say that!

Why offer Kirkpatrick & Stewart 2 year deals? Makes no sense!

Third sentence makes no sense (to be fair none of your sentences make sense!)

The very fact that he's been playing at left back suggests he must be a left back! What really is speculation is that he might be able to operate as a left winger!

10 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Correct, I did not say that!

Why offer Kirkpatrick & Stewart 2 year deals? Makes no sense!

Third sentence makes no sense (to be fair none of your sentences make sense!)

The very fact that he's been playing at left back suggests he must be a left back! What really is speculation is that he might be able to operate as a left winger!

We need new players. Not guys who weren’t good enough in the Championship. Kinda sounds a bit like you're saying they're poor, if you don't think they're even Championship level... 

He signed both before it was clear we were getting promoted. It was becoming very likely when Hippolyte signed that we wouldn't be a championship club for long. 

It makes perfect sense, there was always the risk that Reilly wouldn't be here after scoring 20 goals in a few months. Brought in Mullan, give him more game time to see how he was and get him sharp for this season (hasn't seemed to work) Flynn started to play more and the re-shuffle in midfield meant McShane played less. Not sure what you're not getting about that. 

I never once said 'he 100% should be playing LW and that's his best position' Not sure if it's escaped your notice but we have drawn with two amateur/ PT teams in the last two competitive games. You said Eck isn't good enough for the Championship, I'm saying he's a quality LB and could make an impact potentially with Coulson playing further forward (as he has done for his parent clubs youth teams) 

7 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Just watched Stubbs's interview post Queen's Park on the official website and got a strange feeling of deja vu. Anyone else notice that?

I did, but I watched it twice. 

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I beleive we should of been recruiting above the level of Mac this season and certainly above Baird. Fact is we've brought in two CB that don't look anywhere near good enough. He's the best we have unless we want to go out again and spend more budget.

With your hairbrained idea of spending all our money on one striker, I don't see how we could do both. I actually just said to an Ayr fan in my work your £50k and Mullen comment, he spat his coffee over the desk. Said he'd be offended if you added a zero to that and would still want the club to say no. Then if the club did accepted that bid, he'd cut-up his season ticket on the spot. Welcome to reality :rolleyes:

That's football fans for you - the idea that Shankland is worth half a million for being top scorer in the third tier of Scottish football is the funniest thing I've heard for a long time.

Maybe Salford will sign him...:ph34r:

6 hours ago, Kemp said:

I must say our support was also pretty poor last night.  By all means, let your feelings known at half time and full time but there was a nasty atmosphere throughout the game.  Stubbs new signings don't look up to much yet, but if we get on their backs from the start they are only going to get more uncomfortable and we end up in a Dundee United situation where our players hate playing at home.

I do appreciate this may require a superhuman effort given how lost some of the team looked, but we do have a role to play.

St Mirren took a decent crowd last night but the atmosphere was different.  I maintain, there was no nastiness only a lack of noise. No Drum, very few chants and a couple of boo's at half time and full time but FFS  I think the fans who watched the match were entitled to that.  It wasn't even a very long or loud boo.

The fans cheered the team at the end of the shoot out and Credit to Stephen McGinn he made the effort to shake a few fans hands and give us all a round of applause. By all means have a go at the team but  I would suggest that Kemp our honourable member from  "Paisley, but not at the moment" was out of Order and his remark "our support was also pretty poor last night." was uncalled for.

In his interview Alan Stubbs acknowledged the players need help and guidance.  Some fans obviously felt a little "Boo" in Stubbs direction, would assist in this guidance. I must admit I emitted a slight Boo at full time too.

I think the emotion Stubbs described in his interview was frustration and I think a fair amount of fans found themselves frustrated after 90mins of "action" where a pigeon dying was the highlight of the night.

Stubbs admitted The performance of the club as a whole has not been good enough but it's not for the lack of trying, he said. we need  strikers, width, pace and power. We need a couple of signings before Saturday  as the team are Stuttering in quite a few new places. A major overhaul is needed and  the players and staff need to work hard to produce significant improvement.

Stubbs claims they are frustrated at the lack of progress but is hopeful things will improve.

I would suggest the fans who showed their support for their club,  by attending and paying,  were also frustrated but in no way was there any suggestion of Nasty. 

BOO! to you Mr Kemp!!!!!!:boo2:

2 minutes ago, Soctty said:

That's football fans for you - the idea that Shankland is worth half a million for being top scorer in the third tier of Scottish football is the funniest thing I've heard for a long time.

Maybe Salford will sign him...:ph34r:

I know you struggle with  basic English, I'll try to simplify (it'll be tough)

No one thinks Shankland is currently worth £500k :blink: He simply doesn't think and I imagine a good number of their fans don't think Shanks should be sold this year(nor would I).

If clubs want him, they can stump up big bucks to get him. That sum would be over what Shankland is worth (I thought that would be obviously to most). You see it everywhere in football. Players so important to a club that it'll take a kings randsom to get them away. 

If you were an Ayr fan and they accepted £50k and Mullen for Shankland would you be delighted with the deal... :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

I know you struggle with  basic English, I'll try to simplify (it'll be tough)

No one thinks Shankland is currently worth £500k :blink: He simply doesn't think and I imagine a good number of their fans don't think Shanks should be sold this year(nor would I).

If clubs want him, they can stump up big bucks to get him. That sum would be over what Shankland is worth (I thought that would be obviously to most). You see it everywhere in football. Players so important to a club that it'll take a kings randsom to get them away. 

If you were an Ayr fan and they accepted £50k and Mullen for Shankland would you be delighted with the deal... :rolleyes:

The guy who writes "would of" accusing someone else of struggling with basic English... :lol:

So, no one thinks Shankland is worth £500k, except the person who has gone to great lengths to show he thinks his club shouldn't sell him for less than £350k to....£500k.

I'll enlighten you. In football, what you are worth is what someone will pay for you. There is literally no other way of valuing a player.

6 minutes ago, Soctty said:

The guy who writes "would of" accusing someone else of struggling with basic English... :lol:

So, no one thinks Shankland is worth £500k, except the person who has gone to great lengths to show he thinks his club shouldn't sell him for less than £350k to....£500k.

I'll enlighten you. In football, what you are worth is what someone will pay for you. There is literally no other way of valuing a player.

When losing an argument go back to the old classic grammar Polis eh? :thumbsup

No one said that was his valuation. Opinion that Ayr should not (and will not) be interested in selling him this summer unless they get a silly offer. Again I thought it was very clear. Are you just being pedantic again?

3 hours ago, JJ McG said:

The legend that couldn’t beat 9 men.

Superb.

Did he not do that twice  ?   We played 9 men when the fakes had 2 sent off.  I didn't know till late in the game that they were down to 9 men and only noticed when someone shouted about being unable to bet 9 men. I had missed the 1st sending off due to being in the toilet and the mate didn't think to tell me  :o    Game ended 1-1

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

We need new players. Not guys who weren’t good enough in the Championship. Kinda sounds a bit like you're saying they're poor, if you don't think they're even Championship level... 

He signed both before it was clear we were getting promoted. It was becoming very likely when Hippolyte signed that we wouldn't be a championship club for long. 

It makes perfect sense, there was always the risk that Reilly wouldn't be here after scoring 20 goals in a few months. Brought in Mullan, give him more game time to see how he was and get him sharp for this season (hasn't seemed to work) Flynn started to play more and the re-shuffle in midfield meant McShane played less. Not sure what you're not getting about that. 

I never once said 'he 100% should be playing LW and that's his best position' Not sure if it's escaped your notice but we have drawn with two amateur/ PT teams in the last two competitive games. You said Eck isn't good enough for the Championship, I'm saying he's a quality LB and could make an impact potentially with Coulson playing further forward (as he has done for his parent clubs youth teams) 

You do make a good point on Eck.

20 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Where have the chances been for a striker to put away? Wouldn’t have mattered who was up front tonight. I’d say a Morgan like winger/midfield player is just as important!

We had a trialist playing v Sunderland and I honestly don't know if he was sh!te or as good as Kane. The guy had one half decent ball put to him in the full game. Any striker needs service.