Stubbs can go now

1 minute ago, turrabuddie said:

And hope and trust AS to get his message across and turn this mess around.

Surely he can get his message across at Ralston, at pre-game team talks, at half-time team-talks, and in post-match dressing room discussions. That should be a given for Alan Stubbs or Pep Guardiola... ‘Here’s what I want, here’s how I want us to set up, here’s what I want you to do both individually and collectively’. If he cannot do that, he should be booted out the door at 9am tomorrow.

In regard to the second part, turning this mess around, let’s hope so. If he cannot, then it will be down to a threefold whammy IMHO. 1. He is a poor football manager and Rotherham wasn’t a blip on his CV. 2. We have shipped out too many players, and replaced them with shite and piss-poor loanees who don’t give much of a fcuk about the crest on their jersey, and 3, the proper signed-up St Mirren players such as Magennis, Samson and McGinn are thinking ‘Christ, I miss Jack Ross, and we’ve signed shite and piss-poor loanees, fcuk sake.’

I’m hoping for the big turn around, holding onto the thought that Jack Ross hardly set the heather alight early doors either... however, the threat of a threefold whammy of a shite manager / shite signings / demoralised senior players resulting in us being Scotland’s crisis club remains a real possibility.

23 minutes ago, Kirkie said:

How about 3.17 into this as posted earlier?  Don't look to be trying to me ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/45316797

Just watched the highlights here.

Before he left, JR said he knew we needed to be more physical coming into this season. Stubbs said as much.

Livingston are the perfect example of what we will face most weeks in this league. In a way, Livi were better prepared for coming up than us as they already had that physical edge to them.

Watching that, it doesn't look like we've improved on that side of things at all. Livi bullied us all over the pitch. Unless we have some beasts coming in this week this is going to be a very common occurance. It was our obvious weakness last season and no improvement has been made on that.

1 hour ago, DLBud said:

Listen, I agree with the notion that if players don’t understand what’s expected of them after a week of preparation on the training pitch then there’s not much the manager can do.

However, I still like the idea of him looking like he gives a f**k to sort of convey the idea that he gives a f**k and that he’d like the players to follow suit.

The problem is that it just isn't that simple.

You spend a whole week training and then your opponents turn up and play in a different manner to what you expected. First he needs to work out how to combat the unexpected and then he needs to direct the team to do so. He may not even have the correct players on the pitch for the new system. None of those difficulties are solved by kicking arses, wearing hearts on sleeves or any such utter tripe. All of that is a sideshow.

It must be a total nightmare managing a team.

Some managers sit all the time...others rant and rave...some ponder watchfully while others grimace and pull faces like a barbie doll in the big brother house

either way all managers are different

There are very few first team players left at the club from last seasons winning team...

Close knit tight group of players then all of a sudden there were ..... a few

newbies on the other hand ( who dont even know much about each other) arrive and enter a close knit environment ( depleted much)

Did their wee stint abroad for a weeks holiday/training/bonding do nothing?....begs the question.."what the f**k went on out there"

PLUS i have a question...for those that played football....For all the managers tactics and advice pre-game....no matter what he said..i went out with the mentality  to win...never lose NEVER( its not in our genes)

so why did we not have one shot on goal?...thats criminal...repeat..no footballer goes on to the park to lose....

This is the part i dont understand

P.S. Drew...ill stop with the drugs and go to bed now.....JUST FOR YOU :P 

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You spend a whole week training and then your opponents turn up and play in a different manner to what you expected.

If there's one team that this statement most certainly doesn't apply to it's Livingston.

They played exactly the same way as they did in every game we played them last season.

At least one team played to their strengths.<_<

Just watched the highlights here.
Before he left, JR said he knew we needed to be more physical coming into this season. Stubbs said as much.
Livingston are the perfect example of what we will face most weeks in this league. In a way, Livi were better prepared for coming up than us as they already had that physical edge to them.
Watching that, it doesn't look like we've improved on that side of things at all. Livi bullied us all over the pitch. Unless we have some beasts coming in this week this is going to be a very common occurance. It was our obvious weakness last season and no improvement has been made on that.

Correct.

Livi have won 2 successive promotions by just hoofing the ball up the pitch.

They just sacked Kenny Miller cos he was trying to get them to pass the ball out from the back.

They have now reverted to hoofing it up the park and they’ll stay up.

We should be hoofing it up the park as well. There isn’t any point to passing or trying to keep possession.

It’s a fecking bag of air. You’re trying to get that bag of air into the opponents goalposts and stop it going into yours. Any nice football that goes on in between is irrelevant.

It’s that feckin simple

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Correct.

They just sacked Kenny Miller cos he was trying to get them to pass the ball out from the back.

We should be hoofing it up the park as well. There isn’t any point to passing or trying to keep possession.

It’s a fecking bag of air. You’re trying to get that bag of air into the opponents goalposts and stop it going into yours. Any nice football that goes on in between is irrelevant.

It’s that feckin simple

BOLD prediction after only 3 games

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

So, there was communication...................and isn't it possible Stubbs could have been passing this onto this assistants or were you watching him for the whole 90 minutes? 

A lot of it is about perception.

It was rare not to see either Jack Ross or James Fowler on the touchline throughout most of the 90 minutes whether we were winning, losing or drawing. The pair of them were seen to be communicating by talking with players on the touchline, shouting instructions and encouragement at players, gesturing at them as well - the pair of them kicked every ball with the guys on the pitch and you felt they identified and stood by the team. Jack Ross even got involved with mouthy fans in the stand if he felt they were out of order. Almost every time we lost last season Jack Ross would say he would look at his own role in the defeat and how he set the team up or asked them to play.

Stubbs has said on about 4 or 5 occasions now in post-match comments that there were no positives to take from the game, he said he was unhappy throughout the game against Livingston. The main image of him from the Livi game will be the widely syndicated photo of him head in hands ala Ally McLeod in Argentina 1978 World Cup and not of him trying to encourage the players or coach them or trying to sort things during the game. At least he hasn't started sitting at the back of the main stand to get a better view.

Just now, Sweeper07 said:

Possibly, but he is not even managing that so far.. he is having a real go at it though...

you know what...heres a wee positive take on things...

Every team in the world goes through a "bad spell" " a poor run of form"

isnt it good that we are getting ours out the way so early in the season ( I HOPE )

its a long shot...but still a positive :-)

11 minutes ago, saintargyll said:

you know what...heres a wee positive take on things...

Every team in the world goes through a "bad spell" " a poor run of form"

isnt it good that we are getting ours out the way so early in the season ( I HOPE )

its a long shot...but still a positive :-)

To be fair we don't know all the factors involved. Targets have not come, perhaps we were too tight with the budget etc. etc., but best to get in the better guys first and then bring in the possibilities to build a squad. What we have at the moment is a few good players who are unsure if they are going to be here for too long, a number of younger lads who might mature but are on a steep learning curve and a number of injuries - meaning we are weak and naïve ...

Based on our lack of success in the transfer window so far, I think it will be miraculous if we manage to sign even 3 good solid hardened pros who can bring in some strength and the required ability...

Please no more of these young guys from big teams that have not played at this level - unless you get the 3 or 4 really good pro's in first... otherwise - Stubbs is out by late October or we are relegation fodder...  take a look at the strength Motherwell showed against the Gers - that is what is seriously lacking with us - they will pass us soon as we descent to the bottom of the pack UNLESS the miracles happen this week..

Like you - Here's HOPING ...

Edited by Sweeper07
missed letter

The English championship gets a bad name for sacking managers too early and is seen as one of the most cut throat leagues in football. Rotherham were hammered in the press when they only gave Stubbs 13 league games before sacking him.

Does anybody actually think Stubbs will get 13 league games at this rate?

We are in meltdown mode at the moment and it's only game 3. 

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

To be fair we don't know all the factors involved. Targets have not come, perhaps we were too tight with the budget etc. etc., but best to get in the better guys first and then bring in the possibilities to build a squad. What we have at the moment is a few good players who are unsure if they are going to be here for too long, a number of younger lads who might mature but are on a steep learning curve and a number of injuries - meaning we are weak and naïve ...

Based on our lack of success in the transfer window so far, I think it will be miraculous if we manage to sign even 3 good solid hardened pros who can bring in some strength and the required ability...

Please no more of these young guys from big teams that have not played at this level - unless you get the 3 or 4 really good pro's in first... otherwise - Stubbs is out by late October or we are relegation fodder...  take a look at the strength Motherwell showed against the Gers - that is what is seriously lacking with us - they will pass us soon as we decent to the bottom of the pack UNLESS the miracles happen this week..

Like you - Here's HOPING ...

The Crazy Crazy world of football ....Had we won on Saturday we would be sitting joint second in the league....how mental is that?

20 minutes ago, saintargyll said:

BOLD prediction after only 3 games

The Captain's main point is correct, the players we can afford, in general, cannot play possession football to the standard required when pressed, we got away with it at Championship level but we won't in the top flight. We'd be better off using the tactics Livi used at the weekend!

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

The Captain's main point is correct, the players we can afford, in general, cannot play possession football to the standard required when pressed, we got away with it at Championship level but we won't in the top flight. We'd be better off using the tactics Livi used at the weekend!

So the Captain is right with his prediction after only 3 games?

I didn't read the Twitter Account , the tweet was copied onto the Livingston match thread.
I accept your disclaimer, but your source was correct on Friday, and I still think it would've been better for the info to have remained confidential.

All I said on Friday was that there would be a reaction to the team news on Saturday. I didn’t mention any names.

Talk of it been only 3 games , it hasn't its been , decent displays against Killie and Dumbarton and then woeful against Spartans ,Queens Park and Aberdeen and then the humiliation against Sunderland . Can we really leave it until Christmas and be cut so far adrift that we are heading back down , I hope not but the way its shaping up its a  real possibility:mellow:

How about 3.17 into this as posted earlier?  Don't look to be trying to me ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/45316797

I’m not buying that at all.

I’ve just watched Mourinho’s post match interview and he said that goals for are an amazing vitamin and goals against are an overdose of fatigue. Wee Danny just used to say that goals change games and they are probably both right.

I don’t believe for a minute that the guys aren’t trying but when you’re flat it can look like that I guess.

Did their wee stint abroad for a weeks holiday/training/bonding do nothing?....begs the question.."what the f**k went on out there"

That’s a very good question as the team spirit definitely appears to be one of the issues at play.

Correct.

It’s that feckin simple

Wondered when the Captain would resurface?[emoji23]