Saints v Sellick Cup

Heeds up Buds. We’ll play worse and win this season. Scoreline flatters Celtic. We didn’t take our chances unfortunately, especially Kilts header. It’s a sore one because with a bit of luck and a decent draw I think we could’ve gone quite far in the cup. 
Big push for a European spot now. We have the players and manager to do it.  

13 minutes ago, elvis said:

Don't know what game yous were watching we were in it first half but did nothing in the second.Dont know why we bother turning up against the old firm we shit the bed ever single time

And he is back...... we lose and he shoots and posts..... thought you would be happy as your team won... hopefully we go on another winning run and you go back down your dark wee hole

Really disappointed. Celtic were not very good. We lost two very poor goals and simply cannot score. Gogic the only one who looked like scoring. Two or three great efforts one brilliantly saved by Hart. Killtie missed an absolute sitter. Mandon  played very well but did not look like scoring. Ayunga came on and looks more and more like a pub player. Fraser was also very poor. Rest all played OK but we lack quality going forward. Missed Bolton who , I think , would have stopped the first goal. Boy who came on for Elvis was not impressive. Three huge games coming up against the three bottom teams. Win less than two and season could crumble away. 

4 minutes ago, guinness said:

Really disappointed. Celtic were not very good. We lost two very poor goals and simply cannot score. Gogic the only one who looked like scoring. Two or three great efforts one brilliantly saved by Hart. Killtie missed an absolute sitter. Mandon  played very well but did not look like scoring. Ayunga came on and looks more and more like a pub player. Fraser was also very poor. Rest all played OK but we lack quality going forward. Missed Bolton who , I think , would have stopped the first goal. Boy who came on for Elvis was not impressive. Three huge games coming up against the three bottom teams. Win less than two and season could crumble away. 

Sorry I would just add I really hope we have not offered Scott a two year deal. Cannot see what the manager is seeing.

25 minutes ago, guinness said:

Surely the transfer window would have been the time to offload Ayunga and Olusanya, both of whom are very far short of this level of football. On the plus side, Gogic is some player does the work of two men. Hope for much more from Scott. Fingers crossed. 

Well I thought that was a decent performance today and was good enough that we shouldn’t lose momentum from our recent performances.

The problem today was the age old St. Mirren problem of not having someone who can comfortably and regularly stick the ball in the back of the net. Thought our general play was very good though. Thought Mandron was fantastic today and also good performances from the likes of Gogic, Tanser, Elvis, CBM and Baccus. CBM’s corners caused Celtic all sorts of problems and we were unlucky not for scored from any of them. 

Straight back on the horse next week. Beat Livi and we’re up and running again. 

Could’ve done without those late goals for Dundee today though. Would’ve been ideal if they’d lost or even drawn. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

5 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Surely the transfer window would have been the time to offload Ayunga and Olusanya, both of whom are very far short of this level of football. On the plus side, Gogic is some player does the work of two men. Hope for much more from Scott. Fingers crossed. 

I’m starting to agree about Ayunga, but I think Olusanya provides a fair bit of nuisance value and unpredictability. His pace is also a real weapon when he puts it to good use like he did last Wednesday. I’d be inclined to hang on to him. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Jeezo!! Talk about giving the boy a chance. 🤣🤣🤣

Fair comment but I struggle to see during his career anything that would tempt me to give him a two year deal. Good spell at Motherwell then mostly injured for a  couple of years.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well I thought that was a decent performance today and was good enough that we shouldn’t lose momentum from our recent performances.

The problem today was the age old St. Mirren problem of not having someone who can comfortably and regularly stick the ball in the back of the net. Thought our general play was very good though. Thought Mandron was fantastic today and also good performances from the likes of Gogic, Tanser, Elvis, CBM and Baccus. CBM’s corners caused Celtic all sorts of problems and we were unlucky not for scored from any of them. 

Straight back on the horse next week. Beat Livi and we’re up and running again. 

Could’ve done without those late goals for Dundee today though. Would’ve been ideal if they’d lost or even drawn. 

Finally a sensible non greeting big boy pants post..... 👍 

30 minutes ago, guinness said:

Fair comment but I struggle to see during his career anything that would tempt me to give him a two year deal. Good spell at Motherwell then mostly injured for a  couple of years.

That's why  we have a manager to make those decisions...won't get it right all the time....but  he seems to get best out of players 

I must have been at a different game from some of the posters on here? We played some great pressing football today against a team with a budget that out strips ours by a country mile. We put their ex-England and Man City keeper under severe pressure with shots and multiple corners and our defence on the whole managed to contain two Japan internationalists, while our midfield battle against players who are used to playing in top European teams. Some folks on here are starting to sound like old firm fans. 

Elvia had a poor game he was rightly subbed off. Fraser too was poor which is unlike him to be fair. As for Ayunga I’m not sure yet but certainly Mandron is firmly our no 1 striker now. Sure he doesn’t have pace but he wins headers and for a big man his link up play and footwork are good. Kiltie not at his best should have scored but let’s just say Gogic is outstanding and we need to go all out to secure his services 

32 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I must have been at a different game from some of the posters on here? We played some great pressing football today against a team with a budget that out strips ours by a country mile. We put their ex-England and Man City keeper under severe pressure with shots and multiple corners and our defence on the whole managed to contain two Japan internationalists, while our midfield battle against players who are used to playing in top European teams. Some folks on here are starting to sound like old firm fans. 

👏👏👏

5 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Again lots to be positive about... yes we need a 20 goal striker but if we ever get one we would challenge 3rd and Cups every season..... league biz focus now 

No complaints, an excellent team performance. We matched them but the high press is tiring. Play like this for the next 3 games and we’ll be out of sight of Killie!

7 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Again lots to be positive about... yes we need a 20 goal striker but if we ever get one we would challenge 3rd and Cups every season..... league biz focus now 

Absolutely 

First half no one could argue we were well in the game and for bad luck we would have scored. 

Second half we were slack and sat off it. 

It was a decent performance and we made decent chances. Our main issue is our final ball was not quite good enough and we simply don't have a number 9. All our strikers are no 10's. 

I would let LJ go at the end of the season. I just don't see it with him. Looks knackered and is not interested in tracking back. 

Thought Gogic was outstanding today. Is there a better centre half in the league? I don't think so. 

As no one was willing to crowd fund an extension, (Even though I would have been willing to share the money, not the hotel, with Elvis to get him "over there"), I have returned to the cold, wet Scotland. I watched the game on Sunday with my away top on in a pub called the shamrock so you can imagine how I stood out against the green and white surroundings. The nerves of the other patrons were palpable during that first half. When Gogic hit the bar I could almost smell their fear over the usual stench. We were outstanding during that period. At the start of the second half it looked like we were a spent force as we stood off them allowing them to double their lead. After that I thought we came back into it. At the end of the day though, it was "same old, same old". Through bad luck and bad finishing, we were left with an exit sign in front of us and the dream is done for another year. Back to league duties and, hopefully, putting another nail in Martindale's, and Livi's, coffin.

Edited to add. A lad with Blackburn Rovers' towels saw my Saints' one and asked where St. Mirren play. I told him where and he explained his grandad was a player with us before moving his family down south to join the Rovers in the early 1900's. Jock Cameron. Moved from there to Chelsea and became their Captain. Small world.

Edited by stlucifer

Us long standing fans seem to forget this could be as good as it gets....we have finished 3rd once in my 50 years supporting.  We have won 1 SC and first time winners of LC....for the 3rd season in a row we are not in any danger and pushing for Europe....crowds are up we have a great manager and 7 international players to call on... bloody hell this is good.  . Anyone remember us being 10 points adrift of 9th in Championship a mere 8 years ago... in that time Hearts and united have been relegated

Happy days.... so enjoy please

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Us long standing fans seem to forget this could be as good as it gets....we have finished 3rd once in my 50 years supporting.  We have won 1 SC and first time winners of LC....for the 3rd season in a row we are not in any danger and pushing for Europe....crowds are up we have a great manager and 7 international players to call on... bloody hell this is good.  . Anyone remember us being 10 points adrift of 9th in Championship a mere 8 years ago... in that time Hearts and united have been relegated

Happy days.... so enjoy please

At the risk of repetition I was a season ticket holder most of the 90’s and early 2000’s. This is a golden age compared to most of the 90’s dross with Sir Tom of Hendrie excluded.