Playoffs

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Would be amazed if Raith didn't win on Saturday.

It's up to us to get the job done to avoid the playoffs.  Go to a packed Easter Road and get a result and that's that.

Easy, right?

Aye, as usual more on here seeing what they want rather than what is the most likely.

Ayr will go all out to win. If they get an early goal we've all seen how Raith's heads can go down. Get a second and who knows? A 5-0 win will save them from automatic relegation. It's very unlikely but as Raith just lost 5-0 on Saturday, it's not unheard of.
I don't expect them to turn it around, but I expect them to kick Raith all over the park and Raith may not be up for the fight. 

Ayr have a very good record on the road, Raith however have a very good record at home.

Hopefully both teams go at it hammer and tongs, full steam ahead, no holds barred, clash of the titans.....and draw 0-0.

Yeah I'm kind of torn. It's the most I've enjoyed watching us since the 1999-2000 season, apart from a few weeks here and there under Danny Lennon.

We're winning games but we're doing it with style and scoring bags of goals and there is that real connection between the team and the fans and the management that simply hasn't been there under any manager since Hendrie.

So I don't really want the season to end as the fear is that the summer will see many of this squad depart and it won't be the same again next season, but by the same token I'm emotionally wrecked by what I've been through the last few months and could do with a break.

Besides which this is St.Mirren we're talking about. Knowing us we'll suddenly lose our form in the playoffs and Alloa and Jim will send us down :blink:

I'm resigned myself to the fact that Raith will beat Ayr on Saturday so we will need a point at Easter Road but I can't see any reason why we can't get it!

A few folk have said to me it's a shame we have to go to Hibs while Raith are at home to Ayr. Yes, it's unfortunate we've got arguably the hardest possible fixture while they have the easiest but the flipside is that while there's still massive pressure on us to win, it's not as much as it could have been.

If we go to Hibs, lose and end up in the play-offs then so be it. Ending up in the play-offs because you lost at the champions on the final day isn't the end of the world. However, if we'd been at home to Ayr needing just a point then the pressure would have been enormous and if we'd failed to get it from such a supposedly easy game then it could have had a catastrophic effect on moral going into the play-offs.

That made sense when it was in my head but now I've typed it up I'm not so sure - bit like most of the stuff I write really.

11 minutes ago, div said:

Yeah I'm kind of torn. It's the most I've enjoyed watching us since the 1999-2000 season, apart from a few weeks here and there under Danny Lennon.

We're winning games but we're doing it with style and scoring bags of goals and there is that real connection between the team and the fans and the management that simply hasn't been there under any manager since Hendrie.

So I don't really want the season to end as the fear is that the summer will see many of this squad depart and it won't be the same again next season, but by the same token I'm emotionally wrecked by what I've been through the last few months and could do with a break.

Besides which this is St.Mirren we're talking about. Knowing us we'll suddenly lose our form in the playoffs and Alloa and Jim will send us down :blink:

I'm resigned myself to the fact that Raith will beat Ayr on Saturday so we will need a point at Easter Road but I can't see any reason why we can't get it!

I just want it to end. At full time on Saturday - after a draw or an away win... scenes of Hibs fans partying about winning the title allied to scenes of a big Saints support finally seeing the spectre of relegation lifted - that scenario surely trumps any desire to see us play another two or four trouser-troubling games.

Jack & Victor can breathe easy and plan immediately for next season. A season where I hope we are involved in playoffs of a different nature than the ones we are currently still sniffing. Sure, there will be departures from this team over the summer - but look at the sheer turnover in numbers Jack presided over in January alone.

He'll recharge his batteries and assemble another squad ready to rock.

Happy holidays.

12 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Mind the last day of last season? St Mirren 2 Rangers 2, with a 92nd minute equaliser from Morgan. A meaningless game against the already crowned champions for us back then, but wow what a feeling to get that last minute goal! 

Yeah it was a great way to end an otherwise dismal season.

If we do survive on Saturday it will be a great escape and be worthy of some celebrating but the reality is that a club of our size should never have been fannying around at the bottom of the second tier.

I went into this season with hopes of promotion so all in all it's been a disappointment.

Still, hopefully ending on a high and giving us a great platform for next year.