Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Carson has went down in my estimations.  I previously said i didnt think he would leave at it was gossip, accept I was wrong after SR clarified position. So what's he worth, 35 isn't old, off the back of a good season and a couple of years left on his contract, I would want 500k but probably accept in the region of 300k. Move him on and reinvest the money 

4 hours ago, alwaystrue said:

Carson has went down in my estimations.  I previously said i didnt think he would leave at it was gossip, accept I was wrong after SR clarified position. So what's he worth, 35 isn't old, off the back of a good season and a couple of years left on his contract, I would want 500k but probably accept in the region of 300k. Move him on and reinvest the money 

Honest!y think we will do well to get anywhere near £35000 or £40000.

13 minutes ago, guinness said:

Honest!y think we will do well to get anywhere near £35000 or £40000.

I accept your opinion, as has been said loads of times we do seem to sell cheaply. If if was motherwell selling him, I think they would achieve the figures I'm mentioning. Be bold St Mirren, demand a fair price.

7 hours ago, alwaystrue said:

People have said before that it wouldn't necessarily hurt a player to accept a contract extension even if they intended to leave as it compensates the club  when we would otherwise get zilch.  Carson has done that  and while I dont think he intended things to play out as i described the end effect is the same, he will get another club and saints will be able to avaid being out of pocket.  Without any proof I would not be surprised if TC fancies himself a shot at more international caps if he gets a more prominent club (he can't be looking for a lesser one given his form and having 2-4 good years ahead of himself).  Maybe some of his previous problems have come back to haunt him or maybe he just feels that he needs to cash in more heavily than he currently does to make up some of the ground he lost financially in the past.

As to how much, you need to look at the clubs who need a new 1st pick goalie and  how much they can afford.  I really don't study the market but the only SPFL clubs that can pay more than us seem well set for now so it is down south or foreign shores for him, or two years of freezing his arse off on the fringes.

People have said before that it wouldn't necessarily hurt a player to accept a contract extension even if they intended to leave as it compensates the club  when we would otherwise get zilch.  Carson has done that  and while I dont think he intended things to play out as i described the end effect is the same, he will get another club and saints will be able to avaid being out of pocket.  Without any proof I would not be surprised if TC fancies himself a shot at more international caps if he gets a more prominent club (he can't be looking for a lesser one given his form and having 2-4 good years ahead of himself).  Maybe some of his previous problems have come back to haunt him or maybe he just feels that he needs to cash in more heavily than he currently does to make up some of the ground he lost financially in the past.
As to how much, you need to look at the clubs who need a new 1st pick goalie and  how much they can afford.  I really don't study the market but the only SPFL clubs that can pay more than us seem well set for now so it is down south or foreign shores for him, or two years of freezing his arse off on the fringes.
Carson signed a 2 year deal in Summer 2022, so even without the extension signed in March 2023 he would have still been under contract with us in the coming season.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, madball said:

Carson signed a 2 year deal in Summer 2022, so even without the extension signed in March 2023 he would have still been under contract with us in the coming season.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

did i say otherwise?

The length of time left on a contract does very often have a bearing on the compensation and in this case Carson could have signed a pre-contract elsewhere this summer which would probably have forced a cut-price sale, so that strengthens whatever hand we have, given that there might not be many takers.

did i say otherwise?
The length of time left on a contract does very often have a bearing on the compensation and in this case Carson could have signed a pre-contract elsewhere this summer which would probably have forced a cut-price sale, so that strengthens whatever hand we have, given that there might not be many takers.
Could he? Would he not have had to wait until the January transfer window if he was contracted to Summer 2024?

1 hour ago, Slarti said:
1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:
did i say otherwise?

Could he? Would he not have had to wait until the January transfer window if he was contracted to Summer 2024?

Yeh i got that wrong, but signing the extension still gave us a better option should he leave.