jimdickloyal

Speculation Thread

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

Cardiff striker Ibrahim Meite on trial according to The Sun.

I struggle to put into word how underwhelming that sounds.

22 years old, been on loan at League two level and not scored goals. f**king hell, why are we wasting our time with this level of jobber?

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

22 years old, been on loan at League two level and not scored goals. f**king hell, why are we wasting our time with this level of jobber?

Backup for Cooke and Jamieson ?

1 minute ago, pod said:

Cooke and Jamieson should be back up for an experienced striker.

Couldn't agree more, which is why I've been keen to find out the situation with Malec - the silence on this from the club is deafening. I'm just trying to work out what the rationale is behind us looking at a young striker (when we already have a couple)

4 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Couldn't agree more, which is why I've been keen to find out the situation with Malec - the silence on this from the club is deafening. I'm just trying to work out what the rationale is behind us looking at a young striker (when we already have a couple)

Getting desperate as most of the targets ( as always happens in January) fell through?

whats big Pal Fjelde up to these days, or even Calumn 'Bobby' Ball..?

9 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

We are looking because we only have one striker good enough for this level, Simeon Jackson. Whether Meite is good enough is another story, no harm in giving the lad a couple of days trial I suppose. The presence of Cooke and Jamieson is irrelevant, neither has shown anything to suggest they can be our first choice striker.

It looks like Gus has failed to find any strikers within our budget, we will bringing anyone and everyone along for a trial now I reckon!

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Getting desperate as most of the targets ( as always happens in January) fell through?

whats big Pal Fjelde up to these days, or even Calumn 'Bobby' Ball..?

Actually quite liked Pal. And also Josh Todd - shame injury meant he never got a real run of games.

Just now, Kemp said:

We are looking because we only have one striker good enough for this level, Simeon Jackson. Whether Meite is good enough is another story, no harm in giving the lad a couple of days trial I suppose. The presence of Cooke and Jamieson is irrelevant, neither has shown anything to suggest they can be our first choice striker.

It looks like Gus has failed to find any strikers within our budget, we will bringing anyone and everyone along for a trial now I reckon!

Sadly, that sounds like a fair assessment of the current situation...

55 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I know that Wikipedia isn't always accurate but it says that he scored 3 goals while on loan.

21 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Jim Hamilton & Alex Burke are dusting off their Copa's as we speak..

1 hour ago, turrabuddie said:

Looks like its dead and gone they , striker and winger have not been at the training ground all week.

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Only worth taking if he, s on loan to the end of the season and his current club still plays wages, and a spell on loan gives both parties the opportunity to have a look at each other. 

3 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Still think that?

I still think we will be signing 2 players today/tomorrow - lets wait and see....

but of course it ain't over until the fat lady sings...  i.e. contracts signed...

I really dislike being negative. The team have clearly done a lot of work to try and get this window as right as possible. 

The route of 'young English lad who can't cut it so got loaned out and didn't appear to do too well at league one or two level either' just feels so much like a path we've been down so often before. Can't be too hard on the guy cos I've not seen him but we've heard it all before.

For 'big clubs looking at him', see Heaton. 

For 'premier league club saw fit to sign him' see Jeff King, Cole Kpekawa, Ellis Plummer, Dominic Shimmin (remember him? Only an injury prevented that one) 

I think we've had our fingers well and truly burned too many times down the years with this type of signing for me to be anything other than completely fatigued by even the idea of it. 

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I really dislike being negative. The team have clearly done a lot of work to try and get this window as right as possible. 

The route of 'young English lad who can't cut it so got loaned out and didn't appear to do too well their either' just feels so much like a path we've been down so often before. Can't be too hard on the guy cos I've not seen him but we've heard it all before.

For 'big clubs looking at him', see Heaton. 

For 'premier league club saw fit to sign him' see Jeff King, Cole Kpekawa, Ellis Plummer, Dominic Shimmin (remember him? Only an injury prevented that one) 

I think we've had our fingers well and truly burned too many times down the years with this type of signing for me to be anything other than completely fatigued by even the idea of it. 

Paul Dummett, Conor Newton

Jeff King has never been on the books of a Premiership club

Edited by Wendy Saintss

38 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Going by that, I wouldn't sign him but would get his agent to join our PR department.

If he can whip up that level of interest amongst decent clubs for a player who has scored less than one goal every seven games at league two level, I reckon he could convince shull to fork out £17 for the Alloa game.

8 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Paul Dummett, Conor Newton

Jeff King has never been on the books of a Premiership club

Apologies,

I thought he was at Everton but I think it's that he was an Everton fan.

I get what you're saying but guys like Newton and Dummett (and Billy O'Brien to a lesser extent) are very much exceptions to the rule.. Our record in this market is not cause for optimism.

34 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I still think we will be signing 2 players today/tomorrow - lets wait and see....

but of course it ain't over until the fat lady sings...  i.e. contracts signed...

I hope you're right, or the team to play Celtic could be weaker than the one that started at Kilmarnock

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Apologies,

I thought he was at Everton but I think it's that he was an Everton fan.

I get what you're saying but guys like Newton and Dummett (and Billy O'Brien to a lesser extent) are very much exceptions to the rule.. Our record in this market is not cause for optimism.

Our record in most markets isn't cause for optimism! :lol:

They've got him on trial. If he's good, he's good, if he's not then he's not. I don't see the problem in getting guys in on trial.

3 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:

I hope you're right, or the team to play Celtic could be weaker than the one that started at Kilmarnock

So far we've lost 4 of the team that started against Kilmarnock, Lyness, Jones, Smith & Hammill.

We've signed replacements for Lyness, Jones & Smith. Are these guys better than the 3 guys replacing them?