Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

20 hours ago, alansaint said:

I don’t really care what the previous poster said to be honest, but league goals are how top flight strikers should be judged as heightening goals per season record when playing against lower league oppo gives a false impression. By the way, not having a go at obika. We have a lot to thank him for, but we haven’t had a 10+ league goals a season player on the top flight since thommo and obika was not the long term answer. Most teams outside the top two don’t generally have a 10+ goals a season player.

So by your reckoning , Goals scored In National cup competitions shouldn’t count towards a players tally if they were scored against lower league opponents? 

Really ?  You’ve not thought this through have you ? 🤷‍♂️

So by your reckoning , Goals scored In National cup competitions shouldn’t count towards a players tally if they were scored against lower league opponents? 

Really ?  You’ve not thought this through have you ? [emoji2369]
They don't count towards UEFA Golden Shoe. [emoji6]

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

They don't count towards UEFA Golden Shoe. emoji6.png

The good old golden shoe where someone from our league needs to score quite a few more than others to be in running lol. As its been pointed out by someone else cant mind who lol. That just means Obika on his strike rate over 2 seasons 13 league goals even in bracket 2 would hqve got him grand total of 19.5 points in the race for it 

The good old golden shoe where someone from our league needs to score quite a few more than others to be in running lol. As its been pointed out by someone else cant mind who lol. That just means Obika on his strike rate over 2 seasons 13 league goals even in bracket 2 would hqve got him grand total of 19.5 points in the race for it 
I'd forgotten about the handicap system they implemented.

14 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
7 hours ago, Clydebanksaint said:

I'd forgotten about the handicap system they implemented.

Yeah all so the big boys win things as always no one having the chance lol

Really ?  You’ve not thought this through have you ? 🤷‍♂️

Not saying they shouldn’t count at all. That’s just daft. They are your words not mine.

You clearly haven’t understood my meaning but that’s ok. My point is simply that to gauge the quality of the striker, as a top flight striker, compare him with his peers in the amount of goals scored/goals per game in the top flight where it is hardest to score.

A player could score three against five teams from lower leagues in cup competitions and score two all season in the top league. Stats will show they scored 17 but when you delve into it, clearly they are not top flight standard as they struggle to score at the highest level.

However, strikers are and should be judged on more than goal return in the modern game.

10 hours ago, MotherwellSaint said:

Goody saying having conversations about players being squad players not being happy etc I'd imagine possibly Erwin, McAllister hopefully doesn't mean Ryan Flynn

Jim has just publicly came out off the back of McAllisters link to St Johnstone and said he's an important player, though he doesn't fit his system. 

If there is genuine interest in Erwin, I cant see the club standing in his way. We could get by on what we have, if we never had a replacement in before the window closes. 

McGrath from what I believe is, he is happy to see out his contract, though if an offer comes in of his valuation and both parties are happy with the move, he will go before the window closes. Ideally if he is going to go, it happens soon so we can find a replacement, or at least use some of the cash to strengthen elsewhere too.

I've seen earlier talk about Erhahon. He is very highly rated at the club and the club won't entertain anything below 7 figures in my opinion. 2 years left on his contract, has a few minor flaws to his game yes, though a very intelligent passer of the ball for his age. Ethan is the type of player we should be trying to get an extension by a year at least to protect his valuation.

10 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Jim has just publicly came out off the back of McAllisters link to St Johnstone and said he's an important player, though he doesn't fit his system. 

If there is genuine interest in Erwin, I cant see the club standing in his way. We could get by on what we have, if we never had a replacement in before the window closes. 

McGrath from what I believe is, he is happy to see out his contract, though if an offer comes in of his valuation and both parties are happy with the move, he will go before the window closes. Ideally if he is going to go, it happens soon so we can find a replacement, or at least use some of the cash to strengthen elsewhere too.

I've seen earlier talk about Erhahon. He is very highly rated at the club and the club won't entertain anything below 7 figures in my opinion. 2 years left on his contract, has a few minor flaws to his game yes, though a very intelligent passer of the ball for his age. Ethan is the type of player we should be trying to get an extension by a year at least to protect his valuation.

Agree with every word of that, well put 

How can a player be important if he doesn’t fit into the system? If I was McAllister I would be less than happy about a public declaration of that nature( if he did actually say that) if true then that sort of language is for behind closed doors and either help him to adjust or he finds a new club. It smelt of being thrown under a bus 

5 minutes ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

How can a player be important if he doesn’t fit into the system? If I was McAllister I would be less than happy about a public declaration of that nature( if he did actually say that) if true then that sort of language is for behind closed doors and either help him to adjust or he finds a new club. It smelt of being thrown under a bus 

Not really being thrown under a bus, it’s just goody prefers 3 and the back with 2 wing backs, mcallister is not a wing back, so he does not fit into the system, good choice from the bench though

Edited by mattman

I think JG sees Kyle more in a number 10 role as opposed to a winger I would go along with that and indeed that could be his role for many years to come as we tend to forget he is still very young.

Not really being thrown under a bus, it’s just goody prefers 3 and the back with 2 wing backs, mcallister is not a wing back, so he does not fit into the system, good choice from the bench though

2 hours ago, mattman said:

Indeed.

There will be occasions where we might need to tweak the system. McAllister gives us an option to do that. Whether or not he's happy to stay under these circumstances is another matter.

Edited by FTOF

Bottom line i don’t give a toss who scores the goals for us if its 1 player or preferably 2 maybe 3 whether they score 10 plus (would settle for 6-12)each lol  in the league or the split across the major competitions if we somehow have more than 1 doing so it bodes well to some sort of successful season 

100% agree.

I think JG sees Kyle more in a number 10 role as opposed to a winger I would go along with that and indeed that could be his role for many years to come as we tend to forget he is still very young.

I also see him as a number 10 these days as opposed to a winger as he has lost a bit of pace and also he has the ability to see, and execute, high tariff passes hence being highest assister for goals last season. Better to be central to use that ability to it’s maximum. He needs to add a greater consistency to his game and we have a ready made replacement for Jamie albeit very different in styles and the other two in midfield would have to be adapted to suit.

6 minutes ago, alansaint said:

I also see him as a number 10 these days as opposed to a winger as he has lost a bit of pace and also he has the ability to see, and execute, high tariff passes hence being highest assister for goals last season. Better to be central to use that ability to it’s maximum. He needs to add a greater consistency to his game and we have a ready made replacement for Jamie albeit very different in styles and the other two in midfield would have to be adapted to suit.

If you look at the stats we've actually lost two of our top three "assisters", in Connolly and Durmus. Keeping McAllister seems a sensible option. Although Power (3) and Kiltie (2) were in Killie's top five.

Most assists St Mirren Scottish Premiership 20/21 (statbunker.com)

The other little matter with McAllister is that when he came back to Saints, he had to be well managed in terms of the amount of time on the park.

We did that well, but I think there might be a slight lingering feeling that you might not get a full 90 minutes a game for a full season out of him. I like him as a player and when in full flow he is a handful with a good shot and a great dead ball speciality.

If push comes to shove, I would keep him and see if you can get a good season out of him around the No. 10 positioning as said above.

17 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

The other little matter with McAllister is that when he came back to Saints, he had to be well managed in terms of the amount of time on the park.

We did that well, but I think there might be a slight lingering feeling that you might not get a full 90 minutes a game for a full season out of him. I like him as a player and when in full flow he is a handful with a good shot and a great dead ball speciality.

If push comes to shove, I would keep him and see if you can get a good season out of him around the No. 10 positioning as said above.

Agree with the  number 10 role. 

He doesn't have the legs for the position he started his career out in. He can pick a pass and has a great shot as you say. If McGrath was to leave McAllister could find more game time if there is not another replacement internally or inbound to fill that role.

McGrath scores lots penalties and chips in with few other goals. Dissappears for ling periods in games and can be non existent at times. Wouldn't be as big a loss as people think. If Erwin had taken all penalties last year folk would think same of him.

If we did lose McGrath who would you recommend we sign to replace him?
Just admit it you honestly have no clue about football at all. You cannot tell us any players you have scouted.
PS - Erwin would have missed all his penalties.

No, I don't think Erwin is English. :whistle