St Mirren V Motherwell 14/09/2013

insaintee

So let me get this straight.

No home wins in nearly 7 months, 1 league win in the same time frame - and that was a meaningless end of season kick about - out of the cup already and lost 4 games out of 5 this season and wait for it... We are currently 0-1 down at home.

Yet being negative is glass half empty? What on earth is there to be positive about?!

I was talking about the first half. I agree Motherwell were poor and I haven't a clue how they have 12 points but I was only highlighting the fact that you'd missed out the fact that there were two clear chances for both sides.

I enjoy reading you thoughts on the games Lex, but certainly on the evidence of the first half I watched a different game.

Completely agree about the urgency and fight, as apart from the first 10 minutes of the second half it wasn't evident.

What I find really interesting is how opinion varies between fans. Two guys behind me gave Harkins and Grainger pelters all game then bemoaned Danny for being clueless and taking two of our best performers off...

Utter shambles, poor performance, Harkins is woeful, Only plus was McGregor seems to be getting fitter every week, DL has tried every system nothing works maybe its time to drop some of his every week guys like Goodwin MacAusland Etc, Would be surprised if Lennon is still there by Monday his two saviours is League Cup win and the fact the board don't have the money to pay him off or money to take a new manager from another club, Bad times at the club, Hard one for the board to sort out.

McAusland never put a foot wrong today defensively. Not one.

Goodwin on the other hand is a f**king shambles. We went to a 3-5-2 today simply to accommodate bringing the impressive Darren McGregor back in without having to drop Goodwin. He's a defensive liability and spends around 65 minutes of every match walking a red card tightrope. He constantly drops deep to receive a 3 yard pass from the keeper so he can f**k about with the ball and generally get put under a LOT of pressure, about 25% of the time in which he passes the ball straight to an opposition player. He was woefully out of position in the second half to put the Estonian boy 1 on 1 with our goalie.

He's a gash centre half. f**king garbage. A manager with balls would have dropped him weeks ago rather than playing a shite system to fit him in. If he doesn't have the legs for midfield anymore, then it's time to move on to pastures new.

Absolute shite, Kenny McLean is a brilliant midfield player if he is played in the correct position and that is centre mid, not stuck out on the left,

McLean has been one of our best players in the matches I have seen this season, and is our best option at left mid just now.

You are correct Drew.

Kenny McLean isn't physically strong enough nor does have the work ethic to play in central midfield. He seems to have the Andy Dorman ability to get behind defences and he best doing that coming from a wide position.

Another poor performance but IMO a few positives to be drawn. I thought the back 3 of Goodwin, McAusland and McGregor looked solid today (with the exception of the goal). McGregor handled everything that was thrown at him very well and some glimpses of his old self which is encouraging! Against what most are saying, I thought Harkins was one of the better players, easpecially in the first half! Caprice looked fairly lively when introduced and could perhaps play a part in the team. I don't think Cornell did much wrong today. Some guy behind me reckoned the goal was his fault?! No it wasn't! The ball should've been headed clear as soon as it came into the box! Apart from maybe taking to long to distribute balls I wouldn't have any complaints. It pains me to say it but Thompson just isn't anywhere near the standards of last season. He looked like he had lost the hunger and desire and for large periods of the game was a passenger. Grainger, Bahoken, McGowan and Thommo all had poor ones today!

I've given up.

The thing that's most depressing about today's game is that Motherwell offered nothing in attack and still beat us. Woeful. If i was even remotely encouraged by the performances i would be happy to go on.

I hate changing managers, i hate the uncertainty that comes with changing managers but lets just get it over and done with. We don't even look as if we have a game plan anymore. He's bereft of ideas now. I'm happy for a shot on goal these days.

That being said when you get given a penalty then have it taken of you that's when you know luck simply isn't going your way.

Edited by Dan Is The Man

McAusland never put a foot wrong today defensively. Not one.

Goodwin on the other hand is a f**king shambles. We went to a 3-5-2 today simply to accommodate bringing the impressive Darren McGregor back in without having to drop Goodwin. He's a defensive liability and spends around 65 minutes of every match walking a red card tightrope. He constantly drops deep to receive a 3 yard pass from the keeper so he can f**k about with the ball and generally get put under a LOT of pressure, about 25% of the time in which he passes the ball straight to an opposition player. He was woefully out of position in the second half to put the Estonian boy 1 on 1 with our goalie.

He's a gash centre half. f**king garbage. A manager with balls would have dropped him weeks ago rather than playing a shite system to fit him in. If he doesn't have the legs for midfield anymore, then it's time to move on to pastures new.

Are you having a laugh. Goodwin was at least trying cant say I saw much effort from anyone else.

Bad, terrible, no fight, no shots on target, boring, poor.

If we had got the penalty that never was and scored it. Motherwell would have pummelled us. We didn't make their keeper make a save FFS.

Games up clocks ticking, Danny needs to ask Danny Lennon WTF is going on.

Anyone figured out the formation. I've got 3-4-2 with Grainger presumably on the park to provide immediate first aid assistance. He may have been wearing a strip but he sure as he'll wasn't playing. He didn't track McFadden or Hammell. When the ball went out wide he'd come inside and on the rare moments when he did get on the ball he appeared just to hit it the way he was facing. At the goal he was static and I don't think he even got off the ground as Sutton headers home. Then to cap it all he actually had the cheek to look annoyed at being subbed.

I've tried to think of worse down the left and I really can't do it. Even Camara and Elliott offered far more.

Anyone figured out the formation. I've got 3-4-2 with Grainger presumably on the park to provide immediate first aid assistance. He may have been wearing a strip but he sure as he'll wasn't playing. He didn't track McFadden or Hammell. When the ball went out wide he'd come inside and on the rare moments when he did get on the ball he appeared just to hit it the way he was facing. At the goal he was static and I don't think he even got off the ground as Sutton headers home. Then to cap it all he actually had the cheek to look annoyed at being subbed.

I've tried to think of worse down the left and I really can't do it. Even Camara and Elliott offered far more.

That's the worst well team I have seen for a while and they still beat us.

Aye. McGregor and Cheesy were the only positives today. Harkins was awful. But of course, he's never going to be dropped, so he'll start the next game. What annoys me is that we're dropping promising young players such as McGinn and McLean to accommodate him.

That what really annoyed me.

You could see Grainger and Harkins don't have the pace or energy to play in their postions today.

The first 2 subs should have been McGinn and McLean to replace these 2 at half time.

I thought the defence weren't that bad except Goodwin taking the ball in dangerous postions.

The midfield was a shambles with 2 men down right away on the left.

He brings on Caprice who is totally right footed and plays him on the left where is pace wouldn't be used.He ends swapping with Teale who had to switch after 10 mins.I didn't think the big boy was that bad and had a bit of movement about him and it showed when he came off as wee Thomas showed how he's a midfield player not a forward.I was disappointed in big Thommo as 3 great backpost crosses when in and he was on the penalty spot.But the manager has to go it showed today he takes forever to take off players who are clearly struggling.Playing players out of postion and creating imbalance in the team.Motherwell were rotten and looked too comfortable against us.

Fair play to their fans today who were a joy to watch and were better than anything that was on the pitch today.

The Polis were a bit heavy handed and i wonder if they will be the same when the green bhigots come to our ground

Thought Harkins was poor today and McGowan, for someone we seemed to fight so hard to keep. Mcausland and macgregor did well but think everyone in the stadium nervous whenever Goodwin was on the ball- free kicks were awful. Newton looked terrified to shoot. Heard Tommy Craig arguing with fans again - he needs to understand how real people feel. Then DL on radio saying we 'soldier' on- I'd rather he said it was unacceptable and he was angry and players would lose their places. Feel there's not enough communicated to the fans and we're just cling to the next match hoping for a positive. Loved the half time players though!

Sorry guys but I just don't see us get anything out this game. Our Manager failed to get a reaction from the team yesterday. There appears to be a lack of drive and confidence about the team. Our tactics are baffling and I get the sense we don't have any plans to go to a different option of digging in and winning ugly.

We had a really poor end to last season and instead of strengthening the squad in close season we have weakened it. Not sure where our next win is coming from?

Bump, another week same story.

The players clearly lack confidence just now.

How often did we get into good position in front of goal yet they failed to have a shot? That was my biggest issue today (well, aside from Goodwin picking up a stupid yellow, Teale having to defend as we had no right sided defender on the pitch, Harkins not being subbed earlier....). Teale and Newton were particularly guilty of this, and I think it was all about the fear of making the wrong decision - which ultimately resulted in them making the wrong decision anyway.

McLean should have been on for Harkins at HT. After the first 20 minutes, Harkins barely kicked a ball, and we clearly lacked any options on the left as Grainger had an absolute stinker this afternoon. McLean is the type of player who isn't scared to have a dig. I'd much rather have seen players take a chance from distance today than the over-elaborating that was on display. It was hugely frustrating.

JUST HIT THE F'CKING THING!!!

I though McGregor, Newton and McGowan were excellent for us today.

Grainger and Harkins were absolutely hopeless. I have no idea why we insist on letting Grainger near corner kicks, every single one is over hit and just goes right out the park. Harkins has not impressed me so far this season, but he was especially poor today. Had several chances first half to send people on their way but instead wanted to hang onto the ball. We heard how silky and skillfull he was before he signed, I've yet to see even a glimpse of that so far. He just runs with the ball into players and hopes to come out the other side with the ball.

Not entirely sure about the penalty/freekick. It looked like a nailed on foul, but from where I sit I have no idea if it was inside or out. What gets me is, the ref gives the penalty and the linesman does nothing, Motherwell players protest and then he changes his mind.

Bahoken looked a lot livelier, but still didn't really impress me.

The marking at the goal was absolutely horrendous. Sutton just wanders in between Goodwin and Grainger to get a free header all of 5 yards out. One boy in W2 had a right go at Cornell for it because it went between his legs, which I thought was particularly harsh. The ball came from a couple of yards away, he didn't really have much chance.

We are never going to score if everyone is shit feart to shoot. I counted one shot on target, from Gowser in the second half, Newton was guilty on a couple of occasions of not pulling the trigger.

Motherwell were horrendous, which just shows you how bad we are.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud