St Mirren V Aberdeen Top League 30/9/13

shull

Fair comment

Thought Dilo looked good, some kick the boy has

Defence looked more solid with Mair in & Goodwin shifted to midfield. Sorry to say but I think Vanzy's best days are behind him, he looked one step behind the pace all night

Midfield much stronger & scrapping to win balls & break down play. Maybe look at swapping out Newton to mix it up, not sure he is firing right now

Up front Thommo put in a shift, Bahookie looked ok when he came on, some good touches & some good balls into the box...there was just never anyone there

Not too bad overall but must do better, we have to build on this & turn up next week & smash hearts

Hope DL sees what worked tonight & builds on it. Next week could be a defining moment

Fair comment

Thought Dilo looked good, some kick the boy has

Defence looked more solid with Mair in & Goodwin shifted to midfield. Sorry to say but I think Vanzy's best days are behind him, he looked one step behind the pace all night

Midfield much stronger & scrapping to win balls & break down play. Maybe look at swapping out Newton to mix it up, not sure he is firing right now

Up front Thommo put in a shift, Bahookie looked ok when he came on, some good touches & some good balls into the box...there was just never anyone there

Not too bad overall but must do better, we have to build on this & turn up next week & smash hearts

Hope DL sees what worked tonight & builds on it. Next week could be a defining moment

Dilo looks like he could turn into a very good keeper, he looks impressive.

did dvz need to put the ball out for the corner when it came off the post .

I thought he put it in his own yet,

decent performance, solid enough, hope danny sticks with it and then starts bringing in some players like caprice in for dvz etc, Goodwin must stay in mid, no way can we go back to playing him CB.

was this not the longest McGinn has played all season? Taking him off was a compliment as he needs to be saved for other games and not be played out too quickly, sound decision making I think, but for many the manager is damned if he does or damned if he doesn't

No we really needed to win the three points tonight so I am aghast, aghast I say, that you think any player need to "be saved". I agree with our Lex that it was an extremely poor substitution as youg John McGinn was having a fine game. I was also flabberghasted, flabberghasted I say, that Gary Teale was relegated to the substitute bench.

That said the performance from our back four was much improved and just serves to highlight Dan the soon to be ex manager man's idiocy in freezing Lee Mair out of the first team as he did.

No we really needed to win the three points tonight so I am aghast, aghast I say, that you think any player need to "be saved". I agree with our Lex that it was an extremely poor substitution as youg John McGinn was having a fine game. I was also flabberghasted, flabberghasted I say, that Gary Teale was relegated to the substitute bench.

That said the performance from our back four was much improved and just serves to highlight Dan the soon to be ex manager man's idiocy in freezing Lee Mair out of the first team as he did.

Yes Lee mair-once a shite centre half and now saviour of the club-if only he wasnt shite

Amazing the difference defensively with McAusland not playing, and the same improvement in midfield without Harkins.

Kelly equipped himself well, and Dilo looks a very good find.

Only criticism is that I would've brought Teale on for Mcginn and moved Newton into the middle. Felt we could do with is runs to take the pressure off the defence.

Good performance, good point, roll on Saturday.

Hmmm. Got the lead, never great, but better. Then the equaliser. A decent point but we were at home, the run continues and the bare stats don't detail a spirited showing. The game needed a result one way or the other for us. Not sure where a draw leaves us or Danny. What if we lose on Saturday? Does tonight's point matter then? I'm not convinced. (As promised TT)

I thought it was a decent performance by the Mair and McGregor partnership until the unforced error that led to the Dons goal. Then it was a bit more like panic stations until the end.

Contrary to some others, I thought Vanzy played well enough, despite still getting dragged inside too often when no other f*cker will cover him on wide right.

Again, unlike some others, I thought it was right to take off McGinn, as I thought he'd run out of steam.

Young Kelly did well, and Goodwin is so much better in midfield than defence.

Thommo put in his best shift since the cup final and was MoM by a mile.

The young keeper looks OK to me.

Newton was anonymous in the first half but came on to a game in the second.

McGowan did OK but I still think we don't know his best position.

McLean was also OK but needs to put in a bit more work.

I really don't get this idea of making a sub with 2 minutes to go unless it's jist to run down the clock.

All in all, a fair point against an inform team, but we could have won it. Probably saved DLs job for another week.

Edited by saint in exile

Big improvement tonight. Keeper is confident and looks able. The back four was a million miles better than we have had since March. Stuck close to their man and cleared their lines with Mair playing some really good balls out of defence. No throw outs to Goodwin under pressure was a bonus. Midfield looked more balanced and worked hard. Thommo's best game since March.

The big problem is however where will the goals come from?

It's good to see that the players haven't actually chucked it. We fought really hard tonight, which was pleasing to see.

The big positive tonight has to be the defence. McGregor and Mair were superb, and Kelly had a good game too.

The Hearts game is now the big one.

I watched it on telly. I thought McGregor and Mair were doing well until the last ten I think when they started to get in each others road. It happened twice, where McGinn went through on goal and hit the post, and at a corner a few moments later - that might even have been where the Aberdeen goal came from. Kelly wasn't great, but he was a million times better than Danny Grainger. He won some tackles and matched some runs but there wasn't much creative from him.

I thought the midfield looked a better balance too. Goodwin wasn't very creative but at least there was a ball winner in there to protect the centre of defence.

It was reasonably turgid stuff, but at least St Mirren played with a bit of fight. As I said in a post on another thread when confidence is low the first thing you do is shore up the defence. Mair and McGregor were much better than anything with McAusland in it

Lee Mair put in a no nonsense performance hoofed the baw up the park when needed. Sadly DVZ and Goodwin both looked as if they were playing from memory with there best days well behind them.

I'm sorry to have to say this. DVZ has always been pish but he's now playing like a f**king clown. "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right." George Best on David Beckham/mearnssaint on DVZ Edited by mearnssaint

A lot better.

Keeper had a good game with a couple of crackin saves .

Defence looked far more confident, i think much of that was gettin Goodwin out of defence.

Kelly done very well & unlike some ,i think vanzy had a good game.

Newton got dragged far too deep in the first half but far better second, still like to see him commit to taking men on more often.

Mcginn was superb but did run out of steam & started getting caught in possession, though id much rather Mclean had given way as he fell out of the game after gettin clattered in the back.

Thommo..... thats more like it.

Bahoken ? there might be something there, not sure what yet ,but something !

& Back to Goodwin. Yes Jim , you are a hard man midfielder, stick to it !!

I watched it on telly. I thought McGregor and Mair were doing well until the last ten I think when they started to get in each others road. It happened twice, where McGinn went through on goal and hit the post, and at a corner a few moments later - that might even have been where the Aberdeen goal came from. Kelly wasn't great, but he was a million times better than Danny Grainger. He won some tackles and matched some runs but there wasn't much creative from him.

I thought the midfield looked a better balance too. Goodwin wasn't very creative but at least there was a ball winner in there to protect the centre of defence.

It was reasonably turgid stuff, but at least St Mirren played with a bit of fight. As I said in a post on another thread when confidence is low the first thing you do is shore up the defence. Mair and McGregor were much better than anything with McAusland in it

Ach away & f**k yourself. That was a good hard game.some decent play . Draw about right result.

Lee Mair put in a no nonsense performance hoofed the baw up the park when needed. Sadly DVZ and Goodwin both looked as if they were playing from memory with there best days well behind them.

Wow, just wow!

Goodwin was, IMO and those around me, our best player tonight. Tackled everything, chased Aberdeen back to their own goal on numerous occasions and led the team like a captain should.

Dilo, Kelly, Mair and McGregor also all played solidly and wee McGinn came onto a game in the second half after giving it away cheaply in the first.

As Lennon says, "hopefully a platform to build on".

Bitterly disappointed with the draw after a much improved performance however, if we perform with the same commitment, effort and desire as shown tonight our problems won't be far from being solved.

Firstly it was a brave team selection from Danny and his post match interview on Radio Scotland offered a bit more insight into how he may be behind the media glare. The face slipped slightly towards then end of the interview with Chic and he highlighted the lack of the above qualities, despite his previous post match comments this season, when asked why that commitment hadn't been there previously this season. Before he was cut off his comments about Lee Mair were also admirable regardless of what has gone on before and perhaps his stubbornness not to make the decision until his hand was forced.

Once again on here and in and around the ground there are voices of discontent with certain players, but I don't think there was a single poor performer tonight.

Dilo had a great game.

The back 4 defensively we're solid and barring one glaring mistake which ultimately cost us played very well.

The compact starting midfield played brilliantly together. Whilst some will say Aberdeen didn't play well, I would argue we didn't let them and the major reason for this was our midfield 4.

McGowan supported Thomo well and neither stopped working all night. The amount of balls Thomo won in the air was also commendable and he took his goal very well indeed.

Bahoken, on the whole was much better. He held the ball up well and was unlucky at picking the back post for crosses when front post runs were made.

Yes there were a few flaws, but Goodwin had a great game despite a few loose passes, DVZ defended brilliantly despite poor ball at the end, both Mair and McGregor put their bodies on the line defending against a Zola overhead kick and Danny despite the overly late sub to bring Teale on made brave decisions that could ultimately have saved his job.

The positives tonight far outweigh any negatives. The young left back had a great game also. If offered the performance and result before the game we would have taken it no questions asked.

Now it will be that effort every week or to paraphrase Danny, lock the players up in jail....