Gus Macpherson

Jp_92

Hi guys,

Gus MacPherson, currently in the running for the manager's job at Derry City (my team), been recently installed as favourite in the last few hours after been interviewed yesterday.

Just want to get a few opinions from you guys on what type of guy he is, how highly would you rate him and if he was to be appointed would he be good for us.

I know he got you promoted and kept you up year after year on a "shoe string" budget and a League Cup Final in his final season.

Thanks

Gus will do a good job if given time and the right tools to build a team, he's proved himself capable of doing it from scratch with us in the past and he could be a good choice for you guys.

Not the most patient with young players or the youth set up, he tends to go with experienced pro's with a good track record. He has a no nonesense approach to management and can be a hard wee bassa when he wants.

Not everyones cup of tea but I loved what he achieved for us in his time, but it was time for a change when he did eventually leave. But a damn good manager who should be back in the game.

If he improves the way he relates to fans, he could do well. IMHO came across as dismissive and disrespectful to the average guy in the stands.

Yes , in the latter stages of his tenure with us there was some hostility, like he was just about ready to release the rottweilers if you said the wrong thing to him . He is certainly not the worst out there but he has accumulated a bit of an attitude. .

Unfortunately his later time with us distanced him from the fans with his defensive and boring tactics. We were set up not to lose and we experienced many defensive boring draws which kept us up but was uninspiring to watch. He did manage to get some good signings some of which didnt work out which went against him (Craig Dargo).

However he should get loads of credit for gaining promotion, a Cup Final and keeping us in the top League. After six (?) years with us it was clear we were not improving any and for all concerned it was maybe best to part company. I wish him all the best. He did a good job for St Mirren even if he distanced himself from the supporters.

Unfortunately his later time with us distanced him from the fans with his defensive and boring tactics. We were set up not to lose and we experienced many defensive boring draws which kept us up but was uninspiring to watch. He did manage to get some good signings some of which didnt work out which went against him (Craig Dargo).

However he should get loads of credit for gaining promotion, a Cup Final and keeping us in the top League. After six (?) years with us it was clear we were not improving any and for all concerned it was maybe best to part company. I wish him all the best. He did a good job for St Mirren even if he distanced himself from the supporters.

Pretty much this. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A pity it ended like it did, sours the good stuff that was achieved.

I think a great deal would depend on who is his assistant, and other coaching staff at your club. As has been mentioned, his attitude towards the youth set-up and progressing young players through the ranks was suspect at best (eg: he wouldn't allow the lads to use the grass pitches at our training facility, so they were stuck with astro-turf, even when the first squad weren't using the grass surfaces). He also had a poor reputation with the families of young players on account of his attitude - I know this through discussion with some people involved. This wasn't good for the club. If he has an assistant who can counter these features to some degree, then it would be less of an issue.

The guy had the social skills of a sewer rat at times, but that wouldn't have mattered latterly if we hadn't become stagnant as a club, with a pretty insipid squad, and no clear vision for the future.

As others have said, though, nothing should be taken away from him in terms of what he achived here at St Mirren. We have a lot to thank him for, and while I thought it was best all round that he moved on, I would always wish him well (though I won't be inviting him round for drinks and nibbles any time soon).

Edited by Drew

Gus did a good job over the piece. Took us from mediocrity in the first division to a fairly comfortable title win inside 2 seasons, also landing the Challenge Cup on the way and getting us to the latter stages of the Scottish Cup.

Once we were in the premier league he kept us up there for all of his time as manager, taking us to a Scottish Cup semi final and a League Cup final into the bargain.

His football was never really massively pleasing on the eye, but it was reasonably successful when all said and done.

He did do all of the above however with a significantly higher budget that the current manager has.

Gus always seemed to want to keep the fans at arms length, never really warmed to them during his time as manager, and did not really take kindly to criticism when it came his way. A broken relationship with the head of Youth Development never helped his cause, with the club sinking significant funds in Ralston it seemed that Gus never really trusted any of the youngsters to come in and do a job.

I liked Gus as it goes, but I think in the cold light of day Danny has outperformed him with a smaller budget, and we are now seeing real signs of progress with some of the youngsters coming through and performing very well in the first team.

Guest somner9

Just heard from Gus who is aware of the comment and goodwishes of Buds on here re: the derry city job. he asked to pass on this message to the BAWA faithful.

"go f**k yersel's"

Way to go Angus Mc

One time I traveled from London to Dingwall, the plane was 4 hours delayed, I got in to Inverness at 2pm and had to pay £30 for a taxi to Dingwall to make it in time for the game, this little cùnt sneered at the saints fans (again), I never went back to see st mirren for two years after that, he has a permanent bad attitude in general towards supporters, a huge mistake in my opinion, this is probably why he hasn't held another long term position in scottish football since. If he gets the gig at Derry City Northern Irish fans won't stand for any of this shite either.

Thanks for the feed back guys, getting a little bit worried about the Youth System policy as that is one key part of our club is promoting within and looking around the u21s etc to see if there is anyone there to replace those who leave.

Our youth system is arguably the best in the League of Ireland as we just keep producing players for the first team all of them local and in the last six years we have sold about 6 or 7 players across the water as they say such as: Niall McGinn, Paddy McCourt (both Celtic), Conor Sammon (Killie), James McClean (Sunderland), Danny Lafferty (Burnley) & Stephen McLaughlin (Nottingham Forest). The only one to come through the youth system has been James McClean but the majority of current squad are all local based players that have come through the ranks at Derry.

And now Barry McNamee is on trial with Brentford (was at Nottingham Forest last year too).

Will keep you's posted on how Gus gets on with the appointment, expected in next few days.

One time I traveled from London to Dingwall, the plane was 4 hours delayed, I got in to Inverness at 2pm and had to pay £30 for a taxi to Dingwall to make it in time for the game, this little cùnt sneered at the saints fans (again), I never went back to see st mirren for two years after that, he has a permanent bad attitude in general towards supporters, a huge mistake in my opinion, this is probably why he hasn't held another long term position in scottish football since. If he gets the gig at Derry City Northern Irish fans won't stand for any of this shite either.

We're not Northern Irish, we're Irish. We play in the League of Ireland and represent Ireland in Europe.

as stated before - he had no time for our youth players also had no time for fans (leaving agm before it ended) (told us if we want entertainment then we should go to the cinema) i cracked a joke to him at a supporters do and he replied in a dismissive manner and just shrugged when i explained it was a joke. he has no social skills and will grind out a result when it's needed but too often sat on a one goal lead which ended in several draws and a few defeats, to sum up he is a pig ignorant person who never admits to being wrong and cannot be bothered what anyone else thinks, also he had no idea how to hold on to win a cup final against 9 men - mind you it was against his big team

Edited by buddiecat

Contrary to what much has been said, McPherson did give some of our youth players a fair crack, sadly the youth development policy didn't really work. He could only play players he felt were good enough. Players like McCay, Baird, Molloy were not good enough. Whereas players like Stephen McGinn, Broadfoot were good enough and quickly moved on. I believe he did release McLean, but apart from that no other youth player has exactly proven him wrong to being good enough.

He brought some cracking players to the squad as well.

He done very well for us, got us promoted, stabilised us in the top league and had some decent cup runs as well. He's blamed for the cup final, but there wasn't much else he could do, the players froze at the key moment, and the rest is history.

His main fault, was he was too negative at times, however we were surprisingly decent when we did attack teams. 4-0 against Celtic comes to mind. He probably didn't have enough faith in the team at times.

He done well for us, and he will be remembered as one of our most successful managers of recent times.

The team that won Division 1 had a fair number of young players (20/21/22 at the time) Smith, Broadfoot, Lappin Adam Sutton & Kean and he did give Molloy (before his injury), Barron and Stephen McGinn their starts in the SPL - the downturn really came after his fall-out with Longwell. Overall I think his record on youth development is somewhat exaggerated.

I reckon he was one of our better managers but it went kinda sour in his last season - I wonder if he regrets not taking the Ross County job when offered.

Edited by Bud the Baker