Transfer News

if there was a gentleman's agreement, why the f was he not punted when the window opened to give us time to bring in some decent replacements. the board must have known its likely someone will come in for him and he'd be wanting to go. they should have touted him round the market to the highest bidder weeks ago. we would be in a much better place, now we are scrambling around like amateurs

Agree we now have a further weakened squad with a few unproven youngsters thrown in - this could really backfire on the BOD if we go down which must now be classed a possibility. Maybe they are relying on Motherwell & Ross C to continue to be worse than us sad.png

Think the agreement was he signed a 2 year deal and could leave if a club he wanted to go to came in and offered an agreeable amount (agreeable for him that is), obviously I don't know what the figure would have been set at or even if a figure was set. Looks like he has gone to the highest bidder and the club kept their part of the agreement by not standing in his way. I dont think the club had much say in how much we got.

So it was contractual rather than a gentleman's agreement? If not then it's an utterly ridiculous way to run the football club.

You said "so if we don't sign a player today as cover (or even as first choice) then our chances of avoiding relegation are greatly increased."

I said "So we shouldn't sign anyone then?"

Unless you didn't mean to write what you did then my reply makes perfect sense.

Well that was a Freudian slip, obviously I should have said decreased.

Anyway what matters is that our manager hasn't been able to wheel and deal effectively, we haven't signed cover for Goodwin/McAusland/Osbourne our centre half/defensive midfield triangle and are left with the players that nobody wants to choose from and I stand by the argument that the failure to make a signing in this area today means that "our chances of avoiding relegation are decreased".

I never said we shouldn't sign anyone after the window closes just that these players "whose contracts have been terminated to allow them to sign after the transfer window closes are in that position for a reason and that they're much more likely to be a miss than a hit" and now I'll ask you for a second time - do you disagree?

With Swanson signing for the fakes it's yet another indication as to how far we have fallen as a club. The board have chucked it and given up and it shows. Lack of ambition is killing us. All we can hope for is the club changing hands we can't be any worse off.

How far we have fallen as a club? Nigel left us for them a couple of seasons back.

Was that an indication then too?

Season so far has been an utter shambles.

Teale failed to deliver yet again. This is what happens when you appoint an inexperienced manager with little clue what he's doing.

BOD have a lot of explaining to do or we'll be seeing record low crowds for the rest of the season.

I can't believe St Mirren's big two transfer targets were a one eye'd striker and a manic depressive.

Selling McLean is probably a good bit of business. He's inconsistent and frequently over rated. He had a decent wee bout of form over the last few weeks but as others have said that was probably far more to do with wanting to leave the club and to show a bit of form. The boy from Spurs gets a decent write up but it's a huge risk to bank survival on an 18 year old winger who has no first team experience.

It seems pretty obvious that Ecclestone will be St Mirren's target in the coming days.

How far we have fallen as a club? Nigel left us for them a couple of seasons back.

Was that an indication then too?

the big indicator for me is two or three years ago we kept Jim Goodwin after he had contract talks with Hibs and signed Dougie Imrie for 35k outbidding Dundee United. Now we're back to the days of star players going to rivals for amounts deemed (in footballing terms) not very much. That, to me, signals a step back. Edited by Hambud

Not even two years on yet from a League Cup win, and from a matchday squad of 16 on March 17th 2013, just five players remain at our club, and one of them is the manager (and, let's assume, not playing any more unless we're desperate).

Ok, three of the guys that day were loanees, but still, it makes me sad.

The team will be relegated absolutely no doubt. Selling kenny has finished us. Being honest I'm fed up with st.mirren they are being run very poorly and we are sadly sliding towards another relegation and a decade in the lower leagues. I find the downsizing quite incredible. In Dec we needed to wheel and deal and now we have signed 2 let go 5. Our squad was paper thin already and now it's basically a starting 11. We're going down and to be honest we fully deserve to go down. Never have I witnessed a premier league team pay such little regard to their top flight status. A horrible management set up in may then another debacle in Dec/jan culminating in another cheap appointment. I'm f**king sick of this shit and I now need to step back and stop worrying about the team.and stop rushing like mad.to make away games. Nope I've been conned this year by the board but it won't happen again. If I wanted to watch a.youth team I would do so down the racecourse not pay a fortune following one every week.

Season so far has been an utter shambles.

Teale failed to deliver yet again. This is what happens when you appoint an inexperienced manager with little clue what he's doing.

BOD have a lot of explaining to do or we'll be seeing record low crowds for the rest of the season.

"Yet again" ffs he's been in the job weeks and this was his first transfer window. He's here to the end of the season at least and it's tough blaming the manager for not bringing in players when you have a board with the tightest purse strings in Scotland. He onbviously had enough contacts to attempt to sign a guy from W Brom plus Shiels and Swanson. He also got a boy from Spurs. Contacts are very obviously not the issue here it's funds !

Naw. But then again, I never said anything which would imply that I disagreed with you - apart from the obvious bit and maybe that bit will turn out to be right. As far as I am aware, there is nothing in the laws of physics to say that it is impossible. It might be unlikely but it's not impossible. Anyway, I still stand by my earlier prediction that we will be guaranteed at least 10th with a game to spare.

Well that's crystal clear and yeah I expect us to sign defensive cover from the deadpool of soccer talent because it's both probable and required.

Only been to 3 games all season and very much doubt I will attend another. Point blank refuse to pay over the score entry fee to watch second and third rate "players" who never win at home. The whole shambles of appointing Gary Teale after the last disaster is nothing short of a slap in the face to fans. Nothing personal against Gary but he isnt up to the job as already indicated by 6 defeats in 10 games and the inability to sign decent players which are badly needed.

Like others, I am even more convinced we are going down and believe its of no concern to the board who just want to sail off into the sunset. Good riddance to them.

Never felt as bad about the Saints as now, and quite honestly have given up the ghost as far as attending goes.