Board Meeting - Gary Teale

How to judge GT - he inherited a poor squad (altho' you presume he must bear some responsibility for this) but seemed to have brought about an improvement despite his position being uncertain until a few days before the transfer window closed and then having best player KM sold on deadline day.

Since then we've slid down the table but the last couple of games against County & 'Well show a team that has downed tools rather like Hibs last season - the prospect of another five such games is, well words fail me....................

Money will obviously play a big part in whatever decisions are made but GT is still the man in charge and I suppose you've got to hope that he can turn things around and avoid another payoff eating into our player budget for next season.

How to judge GT - he inherited a poor squad (altho' you presume he must bear some responsibility for this) but seemed to have brought about an improvement despite his position being uncertain until a few days before the transfer window closed and then having best player KM sold on deadline day.

Since then we've slid down the table but the last couple of games against County & 'Well show a team that has downed tools rather like Hibs last season - the prospect of another five such games is, well words fail me....................

Money will obviously play a big part in whatever decisions are made but GT is still the man in charge and I suppose you've got to hope that he can turn things around and avoid another payoff eating into our player budget for next season.

I agree that any chance GT had of keeping us up was dealt a death blow when Kenny McLean was sold out of the blue on the last day of the transfer window. Arquin looked fine linking up with McLean, we were playing OK and looking competitive again and scoring a modest amount of goals and averaging a point a game.

It is however beginning to look as though GT has chucked it and run out of ideas. The January window was always going to be crucial given the 3 horse race between Motherwell and County at that time. Teale did well enough in offloading duds signed by Tommy Craig, but with the benefit of hindsight we have swapped Marwood (a non-scoring forward) for Arquin (a non-scoring forward) and however disappointed people were with Adam Drury, his 3 goals in half a season would still leave him as 2nd top scorer for the season.

Teale doesn't seem to have much confidence in his own signings: Sonupe, Sadlier, Dayton, Gow and Arquin get 1 or 2 games at a time before being dropped and Teale brings Thompson, Reilly, and Wylde back in from the wilderness.

McLear gets given a new deal and drops out the team.

Ridgers has been OK most of the time without being any great shakes and Kello gets dropped as a sub.

If we were playing well and being unlucky in games and looked like GT had a formation and settled team in mind he'd still have my backing, but we don't have many injuries at the moment and the starting XI's and substitutions are looking increasingly erratic the longer he stays in charge. If he is not going to play his own signings then he should be shown the door at the end of his period as interim manager.

It's been one long season of us taking a gamble with every signing in both windows and only Tesselaar being any kind of success while Arquin, Gow etc have worked out as we feared when they were announced. Dayton has been the one GT signing who looked as though he might add something but seems to have fallen out of favour.

I fully accept Teale was put into a difficult position, however his inability to motivate the team for the last two games is incredible. That, more than anything else, should be proof enough that he is not the man for the job.

He hardly uses his signings. Sonoupe hasn't started, Sadlier and Gow have made a few. And that's with us in the Premiership - who on earth is he going to bring in on a reduced Championship budget next season? Maybe we'll just go with the seven contracted players.

He should never have been given the job. There was a slight improvement in performances (they couldn't have got much worse) and that's no different to what you see countless times when clubs bin their manager and put someone temporarily in charge. There was no reason to give him the job and he has done nothing to disprove that since he got it until the summer. We have beaten four teams under Teale but, looking at things in the cold light of day, all four were in shocking runs of form at the time. The lack of fight from the team isn't entirely his fault - the players are a spineless disgrace - but he has to carry the can for that.

The only thing in his defence is the McLean sale wasn't his fault and made a tough job nigh on impossible. Eight games since have produced two goals, one win and seven defeats. Still, the board can go on an open top bus tour proudly holding aloft the balance sheet.

I fully accept Teale was put into a difficult position, however his inability to motivate the team for the last two games is incredible. That, more than anything else, should be proof enough that he is not the man for the job.

He hardly uses his signings. Sonoupe hasn't started, Sadlier and Gow have made a few. And that's with us in the Premiership - who on earth is he going to bring in on a reduced Championship budget next season? Maybe we'll just go with the seven contracted players.

He should never have been given the job. There was a slight improvement in performances (they couldn't have got much worse) and that's no different to what you see countless times when clubs bin their manager and put someone temporarily in charge. There was no reason to give him the job and he has done nothing to disprove that since he got it until the summer. We have beaten four teams under Teale but, looking at things in the cold light of day, all four were in shocking runs of form at the time. The lack of fight from the team isn't entirely his fault - the players are a spineless disgrace - but he has to carry the can for that.

The only thing in his defence is the McLean sale wasn't his fault and made a tough job nigh on impossible. Eight games since have produced two goals, one win and seven defeats. Still, the board can go on an open top bus tour proudly holding aloft the balance sheet.

I agree, as I suspect most fans would, that Teale was put in a difficult position. However, while difficult, not as difficult as it would have been for a Terry Butcher, Ian Murray, Jimmy Calderwood or Jimmy Krankie.... had any of them been given the gig at the time Teale did.

Why? Well, Teale was already well-versed in the ways of St Mirren. Right at the heart of the squad as a player. As someone 'doing his badges' Gary Teale saw every day at first hand the strengths and weaknesses of Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig. He would have known the strengths and weaknesses of every player. If Teale was doing his badges looking towards a future in management, he must have (on a daily basis) thought to himself when Danny or Tommy did something he thought was mental 'I would have done this, that or the other'. When Danny and Tommy did something good, he would have tucked that away in his brain. Dealt a duff hand - yes, but on the other hand, what an opportunity to start management knowing the place inside out.

As you say Stu the spineless nature of our fall from Premiership status is inexcusable. Why hasn't Gary Teale even managed to rouse the squad into making an effort and looking remotely interested? Maybe Gary Teale is / was part of the dressing room malaise that as supporters, we could clearly see manifesting itself in increasingly shit performances and results.

The place needs gutted from the top down, and that includes Gary Teale who clearly cannot motivate, organise, or make sensible substitutions in a team he knows inside out and was a part of himself. We saw him on the Motherwell dressing room camera shuffling around looking at the floor with hands on pockets.

The same camera in Barraclough's dressing room showed a completely different picture. Even after the game, following an easy 5-0 win, Barraclough was shown standing and getting points across to his team. Barraclough is clearly not Mourinho of Ferguson, but it looks like he's trying.

I frankly wouldn't trust Gary Teale with another Premiership campaign / summer transfer budget, much less a curtailed Championship one.

Edited by pozbaird

One thing is clear, Teale doesn't have dressing room, and have to say Thommo was no help yesterday, is this what Saints train, Ridgers boot, Thommo or Arquin nod on, end of move. This is what worries me. Under Danny/TC we got ball down, whats happened to that. To see a County team play us off park again. I don't think we could beat Montrose just now.

One thing is certain the BOD finally have to act. Raheem Sterling has the right idea. We should all get a shot of laughing gas just before Kick off

Absolutely no point in bagging Teale now as any replacement would be temporary till the end of the season.

Just let the season play out, only 5 games to go, thank feck.

They should however be identifying experienced candidates to approach/invite to apply when this debacle of a season is finally over.

Absolutely no point in bagging Teale now as any replacement would be temporary till the end of the season.

They should however be identifying experienced candidates to approach/invite to apply when this debacle of a season is finally over.

That's my concern. They should but will they?

Come on guys , let's keep it real . .

They have to, they'd be playing a dangerous game if they don't.

Going into next season with Teale in charge(or any other current employee of the club for that matter)would have a massive implication on season ticket sales.

If Gilmour thinks the current criticism of the board is unfair...

I'd say it's worth getting rid of Teale right now, so a new manager can assess what we have before making changes in the summer. Think that's what Aberdeen done with McInnes, pretty sure he took over at the beginning of the split.

We won't do this however.

What a mess, fans hurting which I get. As for the board well for me they have made big mistakes this season something they openly admit too. At the end of the day they are die hards who have put up which most of you would not. Still feel free to throw your anger at the people who have put up. But please ask yourself one thing. Would you hand over your house or pension to keep the club afloat. Be honest would you. Yes they have made mistakes the kind that are huge. Not only to you but more to themselves the board. Bring on next season that's all I can say.

Excellent post. This BOD has been great for this club over the last 2 decades. Compare us to when they took over to now. They've put their own limited wealth into the club, they've remortgaged their own house and cashed in their own pensions to keep us going. I doubt the fans who come on here on a daily basis to abuse them would be willing to do the same.

They may have made mistakes this season, but that does not anywhere near warrant the level of personal abuse they receive.

He signed Arquin & Gow. How much more of a f**king c**t of things does he need to make before it's his fault?

Nobody saying he is making a good job of things or that he is not partly to blame, what I am saying (though it should have been plain just from reading my post but I'll make it clear for those struggling with it) is that just getting rid only serves the purpose of punishment

at some point, a manager will be appointed by St Mirren who makes a few mistakes, gets time to learn from them and grows some success at the club as a result. Until that time we will continue to surge up and down the leagues on an erratic basis

Brian Caldwell will have major input into who is our next manager. He and Teale are friends, draw your own conclusions.

Dark times ahead.

Suddenly, there is a rule that says having friends is a bad thing.

i don't think Brian Caldwell is the problem at the club. And I'm not sure that making those decisions is anywhere near his remit anyway. i know some of the people you associate with have a problem with Brian, but that is based on their petty gripes about not getting Brian to do their beck and call. The guy is focussed on the bigger picture at the club

The risk we face is that constantly firing off scattershots at those working at the club will probaby move those people on, but they will be replaced with lesser indiviuals or people who have it ALL to learn. That really will be dark days.

What we need is some leadership and an open, honest review of the last 5 years so that people can pick out the lessons to be learned and get us back on track with a plan.

I'd say it's worth getting rid of Teale right now, so a new manager can assess what we have before making changes in the summer. Think that's what Aberdeen done with McInnes, pretty sure he took over at the beginning of the split.

as there is no money to pay people off then you are right-it won't happen. So why the griping.

They have to, they'd be playing a dangerous game if they don't.

Going into next season with Teale in charge(or any other current employee of the club for that matter)would have a massive implication on season ticket sales.

If Gilmour thinks the current criticism of the board is unfair...

In fairness to Gilmour I think he said that 'personal criticism' was unfair.

Course they won't. They'll be having private discussions with Longwell to see if he fancies taking over in the summer.

The board have no money, no ideas and no real interest in the club any more. Cheap, easy options every time. A sad end to a very good spell as owners to the club. Who knows how low we'll sink before a new owner comes in.

We're still paying Tommy Craig aren't we? Do youi believe the board will sack Teale - keep paying him as well - and bring in another manager to pay while we go down?

My guess is Teale will leave when the season is over and we'll appoint a new manager in mid July to save on paying wages for 6 weeks.

I agree that any chance GT had of keeping us up was dealt a death blow when Kenny McLean was sold out of the blue on the last day of the transfer window. Arquin looked fine linking up with McLean, we were playing OK and looking competitive again and scoring a modest amount of goals and averaging a point a game.

It is however beginning to look as though GT has chucked it and run out of ideas. The January window was always going to be crucial given the 3 horse race between Motherwell and County at that time. Teale did well enough in offloading duds signed by Tommy Craig, but with the benefit of hindsight we have swapped Marwood (a non-scoring forward) for Arquin (a non-scoring forward) and however disappointed people were with Adam Drury, his 3 goals in half a season would still leave him as 2nd top scorer for the season.

Teale doesn't seem to have much confidence in his own signings: Sonupe, Sadlier, Dayton, Gow and Arquin get 1 or 2 games at a time before being dropped and Teale brings Thompson, Reilly, and Wylde back in from the wilderness.

McLear gets given a new deal and drops out the team.

Ridgers has been OK most of the time without being any great shakes and Kello gets dropped as a sub.

If we were playing well and being unlucky in games and looked like GT had a formation and settled team in mind he'd still have my backing, but we don't have many injuries at the moment and the starting XI's and substitutions are looking increasingly erratic the longer he stays in charge. If he is not going to play his own signings then he should be shown the door at the end of his period as interim manager.

It's been one long season of us taking a gamble with every signing in both windows and only Tesselaar being any kind of success while Arquin, Gow etc have worked out as we feared when they were announced. Dayton has been the one GT signing who looked as though he might add something but seems to have fallen out of favour.

I agree with with that and I hope that with 12th spot now a foregone conclusion Teale will do what he said in the papers and get us competing for the post split games.

Then if he is still in charge for nextt season the top priority has to be a fuck-off CH followed by another holding midfielder. A fond farewell to Steven Thompson who I don't has given up caring or trying even if his body has.

Next season really begins now............................

Nobody saying he is making a good job of things or that he is not partly to blame, what I am saying (though it should have been plain just from reading my post but I'll make it clear for those struggling with it) is that just getting rid only serves the purpose of punishment

at some point, a manager will be appointed by St Mirren who makes a few mistakes, gets time to learn from them and grows some success at the club as a result. Until that time we will continue to surge up and down the leagues on an erratic basis

i don't think Brian Caldwell is the problem at the club. And I'm not sure that making those decisions is anywhere near his remit anyway. i know some of the people you associate with have a problem with Brian, but that is based on their petty gripes about not getting Brian to do their beck and call. The guy is focussed on the bigger picture at the club

The risk we face is that constantly firing off scattershots at those working at the club will probaby move those people on, but they will be replaced with lesser indiviuals or people who have it ALL to learn. That really will be dark days.

What we need is some leadership and an open, honest review of the last 5 years so that people can pick out the lessons to be learned and get us back on track with a plan.

Absolutely spot on.

Some sense above, I tried last night to see a big picture raining cold, losing and Paisley can really bring you back to earth. What I did see last night was who wont be part of our assault to get back, we go down weak and afraid but we also drop with 7 contracts, that's a big offload. I do have some empathy for Teale, but I also have advice, your not ready.

The team are not a team, and we in danger of losing what talent we have. This is not about individual errors it was about closing down, man marking, movement off the ball, accurate passing basically football. We are a one pass team, big Yards is back, but big Yards was miles better than Arquin and Yards bust a gut. Thommo for me is passed it, simple , injury and age have caught up. Kelly and Naismith and Mallan are young and they must be wondering what the hell is going on. They have seen Danny, TC and now probably GT go in 9/10 months. They have tasted defeat 27 times this season, that's a lot.

Teams get relegated it happens, twice to Hibs in recent times and they are a far bigger team than we are, but when Hibs went down they realized from top to bottom they had to change, as with Hearts, on a smaller scale we need the same. Something is wrong at SMFC.

imrie and Harkins have shown strengths we did not see enough and new players just cant show anything.

We need some steel, some creative flair and some goals, but most of all, we need our Buddies back. The boys who bust a gut in the League Cup, who saved us last year and who show us that playing for Saints means something. County are us last season. We are Gretna this season.

So BOD, in whom we trust- give us a sign your coming onto an A gameplan that's going to steady us, and give us a little hope, that when we return to the SPL we will be equipped to develop in it, not stagnate and fall

[/quote

i don't think Brian Caldwell is the problem at the club. And I'm not sure that making those decisions is anywhere near his remit anyway. i know some of the people you associate with have a problem with Brian, but that is based on their petty gripes about not getting Brian to do their beck and call. The guy is focussed on the bigger picture at the club.

I agree, he's not the issue he signs the players the manager identifies, restricted by the boards budget parameters. He administers the club day to day activities very well and communicates with the fans well also. He has a tough job, limited decision making capacity, mediator between dressing room and board room and running the day to day activities.

[/quote

i don't think Brian Caldwell is the problem at the club. And I'm not sure that making those decisions is anywhere near his remit anyway. i know some of the people you associate with have a problem with Brian, but that is based on their petty gripes about not getting Brian to do their beck and call. The guy is focussed on the bigger picture at the club.

I agree, he's not the issue he signs the players the manager identifies, restricted by the boards budget parameters. He administers the club day to day activities very well and communicates with the fans well also. He has a tough job, limited decision making capacity, mediator between dressing room and board room and running the day to day activities.

Agreed. Brian does the job of two, maybe three employees at the club.

He doesn't identify targets, though works on trying to bring these players to the club at the managers request.

I contacted Brian in the past with regards to an issue i had with my season ticket, and he replied almost immediately. Considering he has many dealings with the club,from top to bottom, i thought it just showed what a great chap and massive asset he is to the club.

One out ,all out , as far as I'm concerned Chris !