David Longwell

DL does a great job and must stay. If only the BOD could keep the wee gems on more appropriate contracts so we dont lose them all for pennies.

This team with McLean and McGinn included speaks for its self. His output from the youth set up since ralson opening has been astonishing.

Id pay his fuel, road tax and unlimited magic trees

[quote name="LoganSMFC" post="If only the BOD could keep the wee gems on more appropriate contracts so we dont lose them all for pennies.

s

Agree with this point, after years of nurturing, all the time spent by coaches, and the cost of facilities, when the cream of our academy breaks into the first team the manager of the day gets to decide what contract they will be given, a manager incidentally that hasn't had anything longer than a two year contract

put yourself in the position of any manager, on a two year contract, a player on your hands who has the potential to be a major asset in 3 or 4 years

why would you give that young player a good contract to ensure he stays, as the chances are you'd be gone by the time he develops

much better to let him go for peanuts and use the budget to sign a player that might do a job for you now,

that's the reason we lost McLean, McGinn etc for so little

Edited by thewhiteman

I really wouldn't mind him being involved in the first team coaching set up, either as assistant or first team coach. Considering we have so many young players in the squad, it's a no brainer to have him in there to help as he's worked with most of them in the U20s.

New assistant in on Monday along with a new signing.David should be a major part of the first team coaching squad in my opinion.

David Farrell was in the stands watching the game yesterday.

So, Farrell as assistant manager, and the player is Mehmet , by all accounts.

Do I win a coconut?

I'd like Longwell to have some involvement in the first team on a matchday regardless if we get a new number two in to assist Rae.

The amount of youth moving through to the first team is part of longwells youth set-up and his involvement may help the younger players bed into the first-team.

I'd like Longwell to have some involvement in the first team on a matchday regardless if we get a new number two in to assist Rae.

The amount of youth moving through to the first team is part of longwells youth set-up and his involvement may help the younger players bed into the first-team.

Not being funny but I think this is crazy. Longwell is head of youth development. That means he's looking after something like 10 different age groups, probably well over 200 players, god knows how many coaches, and he currently has little if any time to go out scouting juvenile football like many of his counterparts at other clubs do. Surely it's bonkers to lumber the man with even more to do.

Let the new manager pick his own coaching team and leave David Longwell where he is. If he's good at youth development then let him develop youths. There does need to be more of a joined up thinking in the way the club operates though. There isn't much point in teaching players to play a high press passing game working the ball out from the back, if the manager of the club is going to insist on sitting deep and in having the goalkeeper blast the ball at a lone striker every week - like Murray did. Rae needs to be telling Longwell what philosophy there should be at the club and Longwell should be working under those instructions.

Judging by his interviews Rae wants his own assistant as asking Longwell to be assistant manager and run the academy is a bit much. The Sun suggests he might not get his way.

Yup, one of the many things that could be implied by hs comments about things not going all his way. But, that could even have been something like asking Goodwin to be involved on Saturday and the board saying he's a player only. It could also have been scouting, use of agents, training time, bringing in an assistant during December payroll or many other things.

From the Sun so people can read the quotes in context (not something a journo would do smile.png ) .....

Alex Rae: I’ll give Buddies boost they need

And judging by St Mirren’s recent managerial record it was maybe apt as Alex Rae was unveiled as the Buddies’ fifth boss in a year-and-a-half yesterday.

Since the Paisley side opted not to renew Danny Lennon’s contract they’ve been on the slide from Premier League side to struggling Championship outfit.

SUNGLASP_kr_rae9jp_2613251a.jpg
Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow

Rae’s arrival late on Friday sparked them to their first win in eight outings against Alloa 24 hours later.

But after signing an 18-month deal, the one-time Dundee boss insists it’s vital he’s given the time to turn things around.

Rae, 46, said: “It’s a precarious game, I understand that. But there’s a saying that if you continue to do the same things, you get the same results.

“Hopefully I can be here for a period to build something. Nothing happens overnight. If you continue to sack managers how do you ever build?

“I don’t mean St Mirren, I mean in general. Unfortunately that’s the culture we’ve fallen into. Is St Mirren crying out for stability? I think so.

“There are the dynamics behind the scenes which maybe impact some things. That’s out of my control.

“One or two things haven’t quite gone my way the last couple of days. You can sit here and moan but I’ve got to keep upbeat and positive.

“That’s my nature anyway. Hopefully I can pass that on to the boys. A club of this size should really be in the Premiership.”

Rae spent just over two years in charge at Dens, steering the club to third in the First Division in his first season then a place higher a year later.

He was axed early into his third term and has since assisted Paul Ince at MK Dons, Notts County and Blackpool.

He was also Alex McLeish’s right-hand man at Belgian side Genk and reckons he’s returning to the dugout a better gaffer.

Rae said: “I always thought I did a decent job with Dundee — I had a 44 per cent win rate. If anything, though, I’m better prepared now.

“I’ve got my Pro licence and had various jobs in England and Belgium. I’ve got an extra eight or nine years’ experience.

“Belgium was tremendous. The only downside was I was away from Scotland and I didn’t get a lot of time back in the UK.

“In terms of the level and quality there are so many things I’d like to implement here if I can.

aaaaaraegil_2613479a.jpg
Rae with Saints chairman Stewart Gilmour

“I was speaking to some of the senior players this morning about implementing stuff.

“But it does take time to bed in.

“The most important thing for me over there was working with Alex McLeish. He was tremendous.

“His mannerisms, his man-management skills — he was great. I remember him being a bit more volatile when he was my manager at Rangers.

“There were situations in Belgium where I was waiting for him to explode but it never happened.

“I was wondering what was going on, thinking the big fella had the chill pill out. I had a chat with him told him he’d obviously changed in those ten years.

“He said that was down to experience, about trying to be non-confrontational, trying to speak to players one-to-one.

“I tried to get hold of the big yin before taking this job. I did manage to speak to him and he was great.

“He was delighted for me. He’s been very supportive. There have been plenty of well-wishers.

Read More:

Magennis brands Kilmarnock team-mates a shambles

McKay urges Dundee United to keep believing

McGinn: You can't ignore us now, Gers

“I had a good 40 minute chat with Incey, chewing the fat about getting back into management.

“Big Mick McCarthy said, ‘Welcome back into the asylum, son’. They all know the pressures in management.”

Rae tried to get the club’s senior stars on board by splashing out on expensive coffee. He said: “A couple of them weren’t involved at the weekend due to injuries.

“In my wisdom I decided to buy capsules for the coffee machine and try and butter them up, try and get them on side.

“We had 40 minutes with the five or six senior boys. They will be important to me because they set the standards.”

The Buddies’ descent has seen budgets slashed.

Rae, above with Stewart Gilmour, wanted to bring in his No2 at Dens, Davie Farrell. But hinted that might not now happen.

Rae — talking as he prepared to head for a board meeting — said: “I need to speak about that. If it was just me and David Longwell it would be a bit stretched. He’s got the academy, the 20s and I’d be stretched too.

“I met all of the players this morning, gave them my outline for the club in the short-term and told them what I expect.

“Hopefully after meeting with the directors I’ll be able to implement a few things.

“It’s been a baptism of fire. I came in for the interview on Friday at lunchtime then was offered the job.

“I had the opportunity to watch from the stand on Saturday but I thought I would try to make an impact and support the boys from the touchline.

“It’s been full-on but that intensity is one of the things I’ve missed.”

EDIT TO ADD: Funny that the same article appears in the Daily Ranger however the couple of controversial quotes are missing. Wonder why? Is too much getting read into them? Is a journo making it up?

Edited by Sonny

EDIT TO ADD: Funny that the same article appears in the Daily Ranger however the couple of controversial quotes are missing. Wonder why? Is too much getting read into them? Is a journo making it up?

The Mail also has the controversial quotes. Maybe the internal issues are to do with scroungers and benefit cheats?