Thommo Interview.

I think Goodwin is too slow now, he might have the fighting qualities but doesn't have the legs to do the holding job in midfield IMO.

What utter nonsense.

Mark Reilly did a fantastic job in the holding role in the First Division in 04/05 and Andy Millen did a great job in the same role when we won the First Division.

Reilly in particular had no pace while Andy Millen was in his 40s.

You don't need pace to do the holding job in midfield.

Thommo has never had pace but up until last season he wasn't injured and was scoring, with the right players around him and setting up chances he'll still score at chamionship level. In Goodwin's position you need the legs to get about and be able to close players down and it's obvious to anyone who goes every week that he has definitely lost a bit of pace. Goodwin's positional sense in defence is awful, so again, wouldn't play him there.

You really are totally clueless :1eye

What utter nonsense.

Mark Reilly did a fantastic job in the holding role in the First Division in 04/05 and Andy Millen did a great job in the same role when we won the First Division.

What utter nonsense.

This is why we MUST hold onto Goodwin

Mark Reilly was a tremendous signing by Gus for Saints and he played the role of holding midfielder superbly well in the twilight of his career. I would imagine that Goody could perform a similar role in the championship, even with a slight lack of pace he could be a very important player given his experience alongside a young midfield.

Would be good if we could come to an arrangement for Thompson where a contract is on the table but he has to prove his fitness in pre-season training. He's not been properly fit all season and at his age it's possible he may never be fully fit again so it's a bit of a risk signing him up straight off. Ask him to come back after the summer and show his body is still physically capable of going through another season. His experience would be a help not just for the current young players but the other strikers we hopefully bring in. Just keep him away from the training poles.

There's no way Teale can go back to being a player. He's barely played for the past two years and hasn't done a training session since he became a manager. Unfortunately, that means we can't offload him to someone else as a player. Can't see someone taking a punt on him as a coach or a manager at this stage. Murray has suggested he'd be happy to have him around but that could be him saying the right things publicly. Dunno if Teale wants to work under him either after being passed over for the top job. I'd get rid but it's going to cost money.

Goodwin's experience would be a real asset and he could act as a kind of enforcer for or young players, however I'm not convinced about him. Maybe if we get some competition for his place rather than him being a guaranteed starter he'd get on better.

What utter nonsense.

Tam Turner also did a great job in 99/00 despite a "lack of pace".

agree with both your posts but the difference is these guys had football brains to compensate for lack of pace,jim has neither

I think the new manager will not be managing correctly if he disnae see Thomson's potential worth to the team.

Experienced? He'd need to buy in similar.

Passionate about Saints? He couldn't buy that in.

Proven? He couldn't afford that.

Remember which team's budget Murray will be using.

Fwiw. I'd utilise Goodie for similar reasons.

What my wordsmithing hero said, what he said indeed.

What utter nonsense.

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

I find it incredible that there was a massive outcry to stop appointing from within and have a fresh start with a manager not bound by baggage...

and now that we have that, we want to tie him up.

Here's a radical idea...

We appointed a manager... let him manage as he sees fit and support him to do so.

This. In his interview Thommo said he wouldn't want to end his St Mirren career on a relegation, an injury hit season, and a season of not enjoying his football. All entirely understandable. If, following their meetings this week, Ian Murray decides to dispense with the services of any player, Thommo included, then we need to respect his decision one way or the other. From a personal POV, I hope Thommo has one last hurrah still left in the tank as a player. If we knew he was on a one-year deal before retirement from playing, then like Gerrard, we could give a genuine club legend, cup winning hero, supporter, and infuriatingly handsome man a proper send off.

We don't have many true 'hometown boy' legends - but it's the new manager's call.

Edited by pozbaird

I would be happy enough for Thompson to stay, but only with the proviso that he would not, in any way, impede the required radical change that the new manager must bring about.

Much as I can see the potential value in keeping a talismanic figure at the club, I wouldn't want this at any cost. He would have to surrender any baggage he has, and let Murray manage.

Does anyone actually know for a fact why Stevie Thompson was so far off form this season?

He may have thrown his toys out the pram when he didn't get the gig and Teale did but there could also be another 10 possibilities as to why he struggled so much.

As a Saints fan, he is clearly hurting as much as we are and I have no doubt he was rushed back from injury by an incompetent manager, so it may just as likely be his frustration was down to not being able to save the team he loves.

If Stevie feels he can add something to the side next season, then he has to be worth a deal. His quality alone will put him head and shoulders above most of the players he will face next season and for a club like ours, he is someone we couldn't afford to replace.

I hope he stays not just because he is a Saints fan and a legend but because he is a bloody good player.

I'd love Thommo to stay, simply because he's a club legend, a proven goalscorer and one of my favourite players to ever play for the club.

However, the harsh reality I'd that next season we can't afford any passengers. Thommo would need to be fit and healthy, not just willing. Murray would also need to be confident he can build the team to make the most of his abilities and create chances for him to finish. I'd love him to stay, and I would be gutted to see him playing against us, but it's Murray's shout now.

I'd love Thommo to stay, simply because he's a club legend, a proven goalscorer and one of my favourite players to ever play for the club.

However, the harsh reality I'd that next season we can't afford any passengers. Thommo would need to be fit and healthy, not just willing. Murray would also need to be confident he can build the team to make the most of his abilities and create chances for him to finish. I'd love him to stay, and I would be gutted to see him playing against us, but it's Murray's shout now.

Definitely. The thing is i don't think Stephen would go on for another season if he didn't think he could. He's an intelligent guy and he knows his own body more than anyone else and he must think it's up to another season. Like you said we would need wingers supplying chances for him and none of this long ball nonsense asking him to chase long aimless balls, not at 36! If we persist with one up front we also need the midfield weigh in with goals as well, if we want to be challenging for promotion then goals need to come from the whole team.

He would have to take a massive wage cut. When you see out average wage figures from last week. It realy does make u wonder how much teale and Thompson are actually on it must be in the region of £3000 a week

Weren't those figures pretty much discredited?

Also, he must know he's due a pay cut, and seems comfortable with that. The guy's a legend, I hope his legs can still perform like his head can.

Hmmmm he's certainly putting down a very public marker, and using his Sportscene chum to help him get the message out.

It's all down to Ian Murray, and if he fancies Thommo in a player/assistant manager role, then it's a decision that wouldn't attract too much criticism from the fans. What I think it would also do though, is make it impossible for Teale and Goodwin to stay. I think we'd run the risk of another split dressing room if the two former coaches and one a temporary manager, were reverting back to player roles, with the club's other senior pro in a coaching role.

What's it got to do with the board? It's the manager's job to select the playing staff not the board, not the general manager - the manager. He only started this morning and he has to be allowed to select the players he puts on the pitch. I would love to see Thommo manage another season as a player but I respect the mamager's right to pick the team and If he thinks he thinks he can do the job I'll be happy. Same for Goodwin and Teale. But for a board to apoint a manager and then tell him he has to have their pick of players is a non-starter - that way madness lies?

What's it got to do with the board?..... Err.... everything!

They sanction all contract extensions/renewals and have identified and signed a large number of the duds we have seen these last few seasons. Of course they could wait till Murray Meltdown can be arsed to talk to his senior pro's (how in the name of f**k is it acceptable that he hasn't been bothered to do this since Thursday..?) by which time they could have signed pre contracts with someone else.

Think on.... Thommo and Goody will both have several offers to contemplate, the fact Thommo has had to go public on national TV to try and get someone to even talk to him speaks volumes about a dithering, self-serving board, and an out of his depth new manager.

What's it got to do with the board?..... Err.... everything!

They sanction all contract extensions/renewals and have identified and signed a large number of the duds we have seen these last few seasons. Of course they could wait till Murray Meltdown can be arsed to talk to his senior pro's (how in the name of f**k is it acceptable that he hasn't been bothered to do this since Thursday..?) by which time they could have signed pre contracts with someone else.

Think on.... Thommo and Goody will both have several offers to contemplate, the fact Thommo has had to go public on national TV to try and get someone to even talk to him speaks volumes about a dithering, self-serving board, and an out of his depth new manager.

Fair enjoyed that. Went down a treat with my espresso and hauf' a Twix. notworthy.gif