Jim Goodwin To Sign For Motherwell

I've no doubt that as Aber stated "hopefully this is the start of something big" in 87, he wasn't thinking our support would be fawning over a player who is, at his very best, adequately ordinary by 2015. Every manager next season will know to play someone quick around him, whilst his opponents will just wind him up. It's not a league for kids, but it's also not a league for floaty free kicks, pish distribution or chasing your own shadow round the park.

You should take your mask off mate there is a lot more to Jim Goodwins game than you are making out. However this has been the season for shitting on anything St Mirren it seems then rubbing it in.

Jim Goodwin will get many man of the match awards next season.

You should take your mask off mate there is a lot more to Jim Goodwins game than you are making out. However this has been the season for shitting on anything St Mirren it seems then rubbing it in.

Jim Goodwin will get many man of the match awards next season.

I'm sure he will, but it'll need to be at someone like Ayr. I just hope I don't have to watch him until Xmas, by which point it might actually dawn on everyone just how ordinary he is. As for this last season, we've been absolutely pish so of course people shit on things. It's a simple analogy, but how many films get away with 10 seconds of quality?

I'm sure he will, but it'll need to be at someone like Ayr. I just hope I don't have to watch him until Xmas, by which point it might actually dawn on everyone just how ordinary he is. As for this last season, we've been absolutely pish so of course people shit on things. It's a simple analogy, but how many films get away with 10 seconds of quality?

Wind your neck in, I agree with IoBSt, Goodwin is a lot better than people give him credit for he is also very good with the younger players, we should all be hoping that he sees out the last year on his contract.

Edited by Ditto

Every manager next season will know to play someone quick around him,

Are there many teams who play quick players in central midfield?

Are there many quick players in the Championship?

Holding midfielders generally do not have pace. Mark Reilly had no pace whatsoever and was excellent in that role. Dare I say it, the paceless Neil Lennon was one of the best.

Are there many teams who play quick players in central midfield?

Are there many quick players in the Championship?

Holding midfielders generally do not have pace. Mark Reilly had no pace whatsoever and was excellent in that role. Dare I say it, the paceless Neil Lennon was one of the best.

I think you are perhaps misrepresenting the point Kenny is making.

It isn't specifically about Goodwin's lack of pace. It is how he copes with opposition players with pace being deployed around him.

Goodwin has his attributes, but he was an experienced member of a team that woefully underperformed last season, and was directly accountable for a number of goals being conceded and promising moves breaking down. His insistence on taking free kicks, only to loft aimless balls up the park, was becoming infuriating, and he had a tendency to drift out of position and them blame others when the opponents exploited the space he left behind.

Folk have suggested that he is a good influence and support for the younger players. I'm wondering how they reach this conclusion. I don't have any evidence to the contrary (aside from aforementioned habit of blaming others for f**k-ups of his own making, and his - albeit reduced - propensity to draw attention to himself with stupid fouls etc), but the burden of evidence doesn't lie with me on this one.

When we talked about a clear-out towards the end of last season, we either meant a clear-out or we didn't. For me, Goodwin has to be at or near the top of that list. A fresh start is required, and the new manager shouldn't be shackled by the presence of some of the characters at the club who might undermine his efforts to develop things in a different direction.

Edited by Drew

I think you are perhaps misrepresenting the point Kenny is making.

It isn't specifically about Goodwin's lack of pace. It is how he copes with opposition players with pace being deployed around him.

No, I think I have represented his point accurately and your post confirms that IMO.

Players with pace aren't normally deployed in central midfield. Teams do not generally attempt to break down a team with its men behind the ball by running at them through central midfield.

Holding midfielders are never normally noted for having pace.

As my previous post pointed out, Mark Reilly had no pace at all. He was 36 FFS. Yet he was excellent in that role. Neil Lennon was excellent in that role with no pace. Billy Abercromby wasn't noted for his pace either when he played in that role.

Your point about Goodwin taking free kicks is noted. Don't disagree with that. But with regards to his defensive abilities, he's half decent.

There is no point getting shot unless we can get in someone who is better.

This slaughtering of Jim Goodwin is ridiculous and I feel its due to his age. It's crap. Look at the team last year and tell me a player who did great? McGinn is 20 and was absolutely shit last year. Not one goal and his passing was crap. I think folk need to get real we are in the championship and we won't be signing good players it seems strange folk wanting rid of decent pros cos they are older . Our team as it stands needs older players and Jim is good for a while yet.

This slaughtering of Jim Goodwin is ridiculous and I feel its due to his age. It's crap. Look at the team last year and tell me a player who did great? McGinn is 20 and was absolutely shit last year. Not one goal and his passing was crap. I think folk need to get real we are in the championship and we won't be signing good players it seems strange folk wanting rid of decent pros cos they are older . Our team as it stands needs older players and Jim is good for a while yet.

Agree, it seems that Goodwin has been made the scapegoat for our relegation by a vocal minority for some reason. This is despite being voted as our highest ranked player still with the club on this websites POTY poll just a few weeks ago, so it clearly is a minority who feel that way.

Also agree regarding McGinn. He had an awful season in every respect, no goals no assists and just yeah... Did nothing all season despite playing week in week out. Yet he seems to have got off pretty blameless while the blame gets laid at Goodwin's door.

Funny old game.

Agree, it seems that Goodwin has been made the scapegoat for our relegation by a vocal minority for some reason. This is despite being voted as our highest ranked player still with the club on this websites POTY poll just a few weeks ago, so it clearly is a minority who feel that way.

Also agree regarding McGinn. He had an awful season in every respect, no goals no assists and just yeah... Did nothing all season despite playing week in week out. Yet he seems to have got off pretty blameless while the blame gets laid at Goodwin's door.

Funny old game.

I was talking to my mates about the same thing, McGinn was honking all season and the games near the end of season when he didn't play wee looked better for it

McGinn can go, too.

Goodwin isn't being made into the scapegoat. He is being held culpable, as have all his other colleagues, for his part in our relegation. We are in the close season, and it is entirely reasonable for people to discuss potential comings and goings. Surely this is exactly the time to do it, no?

As I posted above, Goodwin was one of the most experienced players who was part of a squad that finished bottom in a league that was missing two of the biggest clubs in the country in Hearts and Hibs. Tommy Craig was the main factor in our demise, but the players - and especially the more experienced among them - are not blameless.

Less experienced players (eg. Mallan) can be cut a little more slack, but I think Goodwin's time at the club might have come to a natural end, and that would be best for all parties.

Edited by Drew

If as rumoured Gow is signing again, and Goodwin is gone? Heaven help the weans we will be fielding that have that shining example of professionalism that is Alan Gow to look up to..!

Can you imagine being a fly on the wall at coaching session for young strikers with Gow..?

"Right... Play aff yir mans shoulder, put your body between him and the baw, give yourself half a yard to crack a shot aff, then dither unnecessarily to allow your man to get a good blocking tackle in.... And hey presto you've f**ked up yet another goal scoring chance."

If as rumoured Gow is signing again, and Goodwin is gone? Heaven help the weans we will be fielding that have that shining example of professionalism that is Alan Gow to look up to..!

Can you imagine being a fly on the wall at coaching session for young strikers with Gow..?

"Right... Play aff yir mans shoulder, put your body between him and the baw, give yourself half a yard to crack a shot aff, then dither unnecessarily to allow your man to get a good blocking tackle in.... And hey presto you've f**ked up yet another goal scoring chance."

"Peripheral vision...you've been watching too many DVDs son. Right, now, here we're going to learn the perfect dive. Move towards the opponent, knock the ball ahead, leave your leg trailing and over you go."

'Heaven's Gate' won Oscars for that!

'American Sniper' no doubt too.

Do you want more?

Wrong , Murray knows what he is doing in other words what is required in the championship thank Christ !

You were also convinced Teale would stay.

Fwiw, I reckon we will be trying to get Jim off the wage bill and I would be surprised if he lines up for the first game of the season.

None of us (or very few at most) know what's going on with Jim. Assume murrays next 'update' may give us a clearer indication.

Big announcement today, to tell us what has already been announced..! Is this to make it look like something is happening? It aint very convincing.

Who has suggested there will be a big announcement?