Thommo Stays - Confirmed

Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but is it a coincidence that Thommo finally agrees a contract the day Clarkson signs for Motherwell?

Or could it be that Clarkson was Murray's first choice striker and that Thompson was his second choice... Or it could be a coincidence....

I don't think Clarkson was ever in the running out of our league money wise

We did make an offer to another forward weeks ago

To be fair he hasn't signed for anyone so far

I don't think Clarkson was ever in the running out of our league money wise

We did make an offer to another forward weeks ago

To be fair he hasn't signed for anyone so far

Well our webmaster tweeted tonight that ' Saints were definitely in the market for Clarkson '.

Then a few hours later Thommo signs a contract....

Mere coincidence I'm sure.

Delighted the St Mirren legend is staying. Could easily tear up defences in this league

Sadly he's more likely to tear up his own groin than easily tear up opposition defences... unless he has 1 last Roy of the Rovers swansong season in him. Hope it works out for the best and he has a Roy of the Rovers ending rather than a damp squib.

The big question is his fitness. A fully fit a Thompson would score double figures in the top flight next season never mind the Championship.

But the problem was he wasn't really fully fit last season and there's a good chance he won't be next season either.

I think he did get back to a decent level of fitness towards the end of the season, and 4 goals in our final 11 games along with some good link up play would attest to that.

Can only keep our fingers crossed that his body has got one more year of professional football in it.

The big question is his fitness. A fully fit a Thompson would score double figures in the top flight next season never mind the Championship.

But the problem was he wasn't really fully fit last season and there's a good chance he won't be next season either.

I think he did get back to a decent level of fitness towards the end of the season, and 4 goals in our final 11 games along with some good link up play would attest to that.

Can only keep our fingers crossed that his body has got one more year of professional football in it.

You don't need to be particularly fit to score penalties Alex!

I'd even have fancied djemba djemba to knock them in from 12 yards given the opportunity.

Thommo was either labouring all last season with injury or his legs have gone... Or indeed both.

Well our webmaster tweeted tonight that ' Saints were definitely in the market for Clarkson '.

Then a few hours later Thommo signs a contract....

Mere coincidence I'm sure.

Indeed it is.

Edited by FTOF

Thompson made 3 comebacks last season, the first two clearly rushed cool.png. As you say it wasn't really until the end of the season and the third comeback that he started to look anything like match fit.

For me it's a reasonable gamble as Thompson played 13 out of our last 14 games (many for the full 90 minutes) but he's approaching 37-y-o and I don't think we should be expecting to get 90 minutes every week from him

Thompson has said he doesn't want to end his Saints career on a relegation season but I don't think he'd want to risk another season if he wasn't confident he'd be able to make a decent show. I trust he's fit and that Murray will use him better than last season.

Edited by Bud the Baker

You don't need to be particularly fit to score penalties Alex!

I'd even have fancied djemba djemba to knock them in from 12 yards given the opportunity.

Thommo was either labouring all last season with injury or his legs have gone... Or indeed both.

Penalties count as goals and he will be out penalty taker next season too. If he can score 4 goals in the last 11 games in the top flight, you think he won't reach double figures if he stays fit in the championship?

Also, watch his link up play in the wins against Killie and County, he's he's heavily involved in 3 or 4 of our goals if I remember rightly.

I'm certainly not surprised Murray has decided to sign him up. First bit of good news of the summer for me.

Penalties count as goals and he will be out penalty taker next season too. If he can score 4 goals in the last 11 games in the top flight, you think he won't reach double figures if he stays fit in the championship?

Also, watch his link up play in the wins against Killie and County, he's he's heavily involved in 3 or 4 of our goals if I remember rightly.

I'm certainly not surprised Murray has decided to sign him up. First bit of good news of the summer for me.

Never refuted that penalties counted as goals. You pointed to the fact that because he'd scored 4 in 11 it shows that he was fit... Which it doesn't.

I would argue that the 10 yard head start he had when he got caught up in one match showed that he wasn't fit or his legs had gone.

You know the one, I think the phrase was 'he'd be shot if he was a race horse...'

Never refuted that penalties counted as goals. You pointed to the fact that because he'd scored 4 in 11 it shows that he was fit... Which it doesn't.

I would argue that the 10 yard head start he had when he got caught up in one match showed that he wasn't fit or his legs had gone.

You know the one, I think the phrase was 'he'd be shot if he was a race horse...'

Well he's never been the quickest player, certainly not in his time with us.

His strengths are his hold up play with his back to goal and his movement and striking ability in the penalty box. The vast majority of his goals for us have came from him shooting or heading first time inside the box, you don't need to be quick to be able do that. See his vital goals in the semi final and final as prime examples of this, or indeed his goal from open play against Hamilton at the end of last season.

At the end of last season it seemed to me that he was getting back to full fitness, and his performances showed that. Obviously Murray thinks so too and that's why he's got a deal. Weren't they in for fitness testing last week? Maybe Murray held off offering him a deal until he seen how he performed in those tests.

He's never been one to run onto balls in behind and out pace defenders before scoring and he never will be. What he does know how to do is get himself into good positions in the box and convert chances when they come to him.

Guys like Sheringham, Brewster and others were scoring goals at a higher level than what we will be playing at when they were older than Thommo is now. If he stays fit I'm sure he will score more than 10 goals next season.

If the big man can keep fit he's a great asset to have providing we can get him proepr service in the box. Even if he's not starting or able to play 90 mins every week he's the sort of guy I want in my St.Mirren team.

True he had a poor season last time out, who didn't, but with a good pre-season behind him he has all the motivation in the world to make his last season one to remember.

Well he's never been the quickest player, certainly not in his time with us.

His strengths are his hold up play with his back to goal and his movement and striking ability in the penalty box. The vast majority of his goals for us have came from him shooting or heading first time inside the box, you don't need to be quick to be able do that. See his vital goals in the semi final and final as prime examples of this, or indeed his goal from open play against Hamilton at the end of last season.

At the end of last season it seemed to me that he was getting back to full fitness, and his performances showed that. Obviously Murray thinks so too and that's why he's got a deal. Weren't they in for fitness testing last week? Maybe Murray held off offering him a deal until he seen how he performed in those tests.

He's never been one to run onto balls in behind and out pace defenders before scoring and he never will be. What he does know how to do is get himself into good positions in the box and convert chances when they come to him.

Guys like Sheringham, Brewster and others were scoring goals at a higher level than what we will be playing at when they were older than Thommo is now. If he stays fit I'm sure he will score more than 10 goals next season.

Was just about to post the exact same,

5 years ago Thommo could have been given a 10yard head start on a centre half and still been caught, its neve been in his game getting in behind defenders.

Its great news that Thommo has signed, given his battle against injury, being played far too early by useless managers that have fortunately left the club, and the situation by a so called teammate, who I have said in the past is legally correct in what he is doing but morally wrong.

Its great news that Thommo has signed, given his battle against injury, being played far too early by useless managers that have fortunately left the club, and the situation by a so called teammate, who I have said in the past is legally correct in what he is doing but morally wrong.

Hope he doesn't have an early relapse for Murray's sake.whistling.gif