Stephen McGinn - New club Captain

From the SMFC Facebook page ...

BREAKING: Stephen McGinn has been named as the new club captain #COYS

Good choice - a real captain for a change.

Edit 1: DIV: Feel free to delete as this has been reported in the Stephen McGinn thread.

Edit: 2: And another thread on the same subject.

Edited by Sonny

That escalated quickly. 

Delighted with this. We've clearly lacked a leader. He has the love of the club, the quality and the reputation to lead by example.

As with you all, I'm pretty depressed about the state of the club, and in my mind we're as good as down. But I'm still daring to dream. Can you imagine how good survival would feel? The greatest of great escapes.

Come on you Saints.

Wasn't even sure who the club captain was. Webster or Irvine?

Either way, they're both wet blankets and hopeless players. Might aswell change it, nothing to lose.

However I do think the role of the club captain is over estimated. You can be a leader without being a captain, and (as we've experienced with Irvine and Webster) you can be a captain without being a leader. An elasticated armband won't change that either way.

16 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Wasn't even sure who the club captain was. Webster or Irvine?

Either way, they're both wet blankets and hopeless players. Might aswell change it, nothing to lose.

However I do think the role of the club captain is over estimated. You can be a leader without being a captain, and (as we've experienced with Irvine and Webster) you can be a captain without being a leader. An elasticated armband won't change that either way.

You only have to look at the role Rankin played against us in his first game as captain for QOS. He was constantly in the official's faces and was talking to every player and geeing them up.

The correctly appointed captain with the necessary attributes can be an inspirational player for a team. Let's hope Stephen McGinn falls into that category.

You only have to look at the role Rankin played against us in his first game as captain for QOS. He was constantly in the official's faces and was talking to every player and geeing them up.
The correctly appointed captain with the necessary attributes can be an inspirational player for a team. Let's hope Stephen McGinn falls into that category.

True, but I imagine Rankin would have delivered the same performance regardless if he was captain or not.

I can see why this decisions been made. It may have alienated Webster and/or Irvine, but I'm sure no ones bothered by that. It's a crowd pleaser. Will it make a tangible difference to our situation for better or worse? No.

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

True, but I imagine Rankin would have delivered the same performance regardless if he was captain or not.

I can see why this decisions been made. It may have alienated Webster and/or Irvine, but I'm sure no ones bothered by that. It's a crowd pleaser. Will it make a tangible difference to our situation for better or worse? No.

He might well have, but Naismith in cleverly giving him that role undoubtedly focussed his leadership qualities on taking charge of the team on the park.

I believe if McGinn does a similar job then it will help our cause enormously.

56 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Had to be done. Irvine and Webster can't have any complaints.

Webster in particular has just been picking up a wage up for months,

he shows no leadership at all, about as much use as a trapdoor

in a canoe, just riding out his contract.

Edited by Hoof Hearted

Good teams should have at least four Captains on the pitch , Copeland , Bone , Fitzy , Aber , Munro , Cowboy , Cooper , Clarke , all ensured that was the case between 77 and 87 when we played our best football .

Hopefully as well as McGinn , the new left back and centre half can add a bit of leadership on the park ,

Good Luck Stephen , hoping a new era starts towmorrow

23 minutes ago, Hoof Hearted said:

Can we have a 5th club captain thread, 4 threads on exactly the same subject is not enough

Nah, someone start a fifth and sixth, just to piss off the Wank Tank's star man. Good decision. Webster is the worst St Mirren captain I've seen in my forty years of following the Saints.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Of course it will make a difference. I've been saying for months we had no leadership, fantastic that we're taking steps to sort it.

I hope and believe we'll see the difference tomorrow. Great decision.

FFS get behind something!

Genuine leadership inspires those who feel it's impact. How do you know that McGinn won't be having that effect on the training ground every day and will carry that into Saturday?

Short answer, you don't. However, with your nauseating brand of negativity you've put this down as irrelevant. Unless, of course, it serves to piss off one of your current whipping boys.