Jump to content

Welcome Mihai Popescu


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

While I was less than convinced with his ability to pass a ball he was a solid defender.

Surprised we let him go TBH as he was clearly a favourite with the majority of the support? 

Goodwin must have other(better) ideas is the only reason I can think of..

 

Time will tell 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, faraway saint said:

I disagree, I spotted this habit, misplaced passes, some time before the Dundee United games.

No matter, he's gone, still a surprise. 

Again, overall, I would prefer him to stay, he can defend, not a trait all our defenders have. 

No problem with you disagreeing old boy but he was the best passer of all our centre half's without a shadow of a doubt and better then more than a couple of our midfielders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, mattman said:

Sad. Wae. It.☹️

 

All the best Mihai !

1983DFAE-A51C-4B5B-99F7-95EC1F58E563.jpeg

 

Just now, WeeBud said:

No problem with you disagreeing old boy but he was the best passer of all our centre half's without a shadow of a doubt and better then more than a couple of our midfielders.

A better footballer than I am used to seeing play for us. Disappointing. I can only assume that we cant afford him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, magnus said:

 

A better footballer than I am used to seeing play for us. Disappointing. I can only assume that we cant afford him. 

I'd agree with your first part and can only guess that you're probably correct with the second bit. He was a better player than we've been used to for a while but glad we haven't done anything silly with regards to paying more than we can afford to sign him. He was happy here and would have stayed if the clubs could have agreed a fee I believe...….maybe they'll come to an agreement eventually, who knows??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right,

 

I have just made a faux pas over on another thread.  I was under the impression that Mr Popescu had signed.

 

Have we let him go?

Was the change in manager detrimental to the deal?

Am I dreaming?

As sure as my skidmarks are regular, he was a first class player........why oh why oh why?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He is a solid defender, very good in the air. Quite quick as well and could pick a pass every now and then. The arrowed ball to Dreyer that led to Lyon's winner against Dundee was a thing of beauty. Did seem to have a plethora of poorer passes interspersed however. Certainly a big miss, hope better is lined up.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

He was happy here and would have stayed if the clubs could have agreed a fee I believe...….maybe they'll come to an agreement eventually, who knows??

Agree. Me thinking it's his clubs demands are to great. Call their bluff and maybe they'll come back with better deal or another loan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He is away because Dynamo Bucharest want a fee for him that is way out of our reach. We cannot afford him unless we plan to blow 33% of our budget on his fee. That would be plain stupid.

Add to that, they don't want to send him out on loan again. They want to sell him

Simple as that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

Perhaps the buds who see things through rose tints can now accept how low our budget now is with this series of massive pay offs. We are shopping ever more in the mark down section. Jeez thers even buds think Tony Andreu will be a catch... ffs

Regardless of how many lay-offs we've made, we were never going to be paying the quoted figures for a player, so it's a moot point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Perhaps the buds who see things through rose tints can now accept how low our budget now is with this series of massive pay offs. We are shopping ever more in the mark down section. Jeez thers even buds think Tony Andreu will be a catch... ffs

These same people think ANYBODY we sign is a catch. :wink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

He is away because Dynamo Bucharest want a fee for him that is way out of our reach. We cannot afford him unless we plan to blow 33% of our budget on his fee. That would be plain stupid.

Add to that, they don't want to send him out on loan again. They want to sell him

Simple as that.

I read that 33% figure somewhere. Was it a Gordon Scott quote? Let's hope the asking price for Popescu was the reported £350,000 and not £150,000 or we are kidding ourselves on in this league.

Edited by magnus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, magnus said:

I reas that 33% figure somewhere. Was it a Gordon Scott quote? Let's hope the asking price for Popescu was the reported £350,000 and not £150,000 or we are kidding ourselves on in this league.

Yes, Gordon Scott quoted it mate.

Playing budget for new players must be around one million I would imagine.

That figure would cover their salaries, signing on fees and possible transfer fees.

Edited by Prague Buddie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty sure its about Money

 

Seriously some fans on here need to get real............................

We have strict budgets and I am sure our New Manager doesnt want the budget blown on a player that could cost 300k plus. Thats a lot of money.....

We might get him back on loan, but if not we move on- Like Oran- thanks for last season

I also have far more faith in Goodwins and Gus's ability than some on here

Knickerwetersabound# 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Perhaps the buds who see things through rose tints can now accept how low our budget now is with this series of massive pay offs. We are shopping ever more in the mark down section. Jeez thers even buds think Tony Andreu will be a catch... ffs

The majority of clubs in Scotland are unable or unwilling to pay a transfer fee.  We cannot afford to spend a large part of our transfer budget on one player (ignoring the stupid Heaton one under Stubbs)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Pretty sure its about Money

 

Seriously some fans on here need to get real............................

We have strict budgets and I am sure our New Manager doesnt want the budget blown on a player that could cost 300k plus. Thats a lot of money.....

We might get him back on loan, but if not we move on- Like Oran- thanks for last season

I also have far more faith in Goodwins and Gus's ability than some on here

Knickerwetersabound# 

We seem to do way better than our immediate  competition in the January transfer windows and way worse than our competition in the main transfer window. Is this because the fear of dropping into the Championship is heightened when we are sitting bottom at Christmas and the numbers get re-worked in some way or is there a separate January budget?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Maybe OK/GLS were willing to pay the transfer fee before they fell out, hence Poppy's arrival last week, but JG figured he could get better VFM elsewhere.

Aye, MAYBE, but me, I'm no believing anything till Sweep comes up with the real truth. 

He'll be busy on the phone right now, I bet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...