Motherwell v St. Mirren 4th May 2019

Sweeper07

Kyle’s goal could yet prove to very important as we can now stay up without winning both games.

Accies are at the bottom end of the table for a reason. They are not a good side and could easily lose the final two games.

Only thing that matters is next Monday. If we win it’s onto Dens for a “cup final” on the last day. If we don’t then we rest those carrying knocks on the last day and watch the championship playoffs with interest to see who we get.

We’d all have taken either scenario a few months ago.

46 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:
Anyone thinking Hamilton at home will lose in the last game for me is nuts. Hamilton are not going to throw away the most important game of the season at home to guarantee to stay in the league. For us to get out of 11th spot went yesterday by drawing with Motherwell it was a must win game we failed anyone who thinks otherwise has nothing more than blind faith which is understandable of course. . It's now the play off's Oran would do well to start planning for it to make sure he has his strongest 11 ready for it. My opinion being Dundee United though I would not leave out ICT. So to a certain extent it's still in our hands with the play off's. 

Staying up is definitely still in our own hands.

It’s not. We can influence it in a huge way and can win both games, but it may not be enough.

I believe we will get 6 points, just depends if the Jonnies show up.

13 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Don't disagree. Anything from this game was a bonus and despite the Hamilton result I would have been happy with 1-1.

Up till the point we scored I couldn't fault the team. The celebrations were pointless though as 0 points or 1 point still meant winning two games. To be fair so probably did 3 points but spending 2 minutes of the 3 extra time minutes celebrating and reorganizing did my head in.

Maybe its just me.

SMTID

Radio Scotland said the mood went from elation to absolute despair at full time. Think it was more that the players hadn't had the message that Accies were ahead and thought they were still level with Dundee. 

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Anyone thinking Hamilton at home will lose in the last game for me is nuts. Hamilton are not going to throw away the most important game of the season at home to guarantee to stay in the league. For us to get out of 11th spot went yesterday by drawing with Motherwell it was a must win game we failed anyone who thinks otherwise has nothing more than blind faith which is understandable of course. . It's now the play off's Oran would do well to start planning for it to make sure he has his strongest 11 ready for it. My opinion being Dundee United though I would not leave out ICT. So to a certain extent it's still in our hands with the play off's. 

Hamilton won't need to lose against St. Johnstone, if we win our 2 remaining games, a draw for Accies would leave them 11th.

Not one to slate the ref after games normally, but that was poor yesterday.

The one where the ball was played over the top, Mullen was chasing, the defender punched it and a foul given against Mullen was utterly barking. Clear case that he just shat out making a big call.

Danny Mullen went off in the huff when he was substituted.  He went straight down the tunnel and I have to say I sympathise with him.  This was poor judgement by OK.  I assume he wanted more weight and muscle in the form of Nazon.  You could argue a similar situation against Livi and looked what happened.  Danny has proved in recent games he can contribute but was cut short yesterday.

11 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Danny Mullen went off in the huff when he was substituted.  He went straight down the tunnel and I have to say I sympathise with him.  This was poor judgement by OK.  I assume he wanted more weight and muscle in the form of Nazon.  You could argue a similar situation against Livi and looked what happened.  Danny has proved in recent games he can contribute but was cut short yesterday.

The lad has passion he wants to fight for the cause. 

25 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

You could also argue that he’d been involved in a couple of incidents and was starting to be wound up. That’s how I saw it.

26 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

He had a very frustrating day & was on the wrong end of several calls by the ref. Could potentially have had 2 penalties and Motherwell down to 9 men for an off the ball incident and the hand ball.

As he is our only striker capable of shooting then I'd say we should keep him on for 90 minutes.

The Duck is woeful, adding some muscle is all well and good but you need someone that can pass the ball once they win a long ball. Better sticking with the wee guys really.

Irrespective whether it was the wrong decision or not to take him off, as angry as he was, he should have sat on the bench and supported the team on the park for the remainder of the match.

I'm sure he'll reflect on his actions and come to the conclusion that he behaved like a petulant teenager who had just been banned from playing their X-Box for a month.

Was good to see Ferdinand going after him to take the heat out of the situation.

I like Mullen, and I'm sure after having been booted around the park for most of the afternoon and been on the end of a few dubious referring decisions, the substitution was the last straw for him.

Tactics for next week are simple

kick them, noise them up, argue every decision, make the most of every tackle against us,  play the ref and do our best to inflict injuries and draw suspensions that Hamilton will carry into their last game

It is clear that Hamilton will do the same so let’s not be the victims in this piece 

lets be the villains

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Irrespective whether it was the wrong decision or not to take him off, as angry as he was, he should have sat on the bench and supported the team on the park for the remainder of the match.

I'm sure he'll reflect on his actions and come to the conclusion that he behaved like a petulant teenager who had just been banned from playing their X-Box for a month.

Was good to see Ferdinand going after him to take the heat out of the situation.

I like Mullen, and I'm sure after having been booted around the park for most of the afternoon and been on the end of a few dubious referring decisions, the substitution was the last straw for him.

Well, I don't interpret his huff as infantile but as frustration because he felt his substitution ended unfinished business which could have ended with a more positive conclusion.  Given the options of substitutions on Saturday Danny should have been behind Lyon in the queue.

9 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Well, I don't interpret his huff as infantile but as frustration because he felt his substitution ended unfinished business which could have ended with a more positive conclusion.  Given the options of substitutions on Saturday Danny should have been behind Lyon in the queue.

Lyons probably should have been substituted, but it was a striker for striker change that was made and not a midfield change.

I'd have had Hodson on for Lyons at HT.

Tactics for next week are simple
kick them, noise them up, argue every decision, make the most of every tackle against us,  play the ref and do our best to inflict injuries and draw suspensions that Hamilton will carry into their last game
It is clear that Hamilton will do the same so let’s not be the victims in this piece 
lets be the villains

Agree with all of that except the “inflicting injuries” part.

Ultimately, let’s just f**king beat them and see who has the bottle on the last day.

3 hours ago, aldo_j said:

It’s not. We can influence it in a huge way and can win both games, but it may not be enough.

I believe we will get 6 points, just depends if the Jonnies show up.

I think he was arguing it is in our own hands with respect to the play-offs if we end up in them . . .   :turtle

Mullen and Jackson together will not get us the goals required to have a chance of getting tenth! Jackon still takes just enough time to have most of his chances tackled and cleared by defenders. When you see the tiger, you shoot!

Mullen spent the afternoon rolling around with pathetic dives that made the ref anti, and subsequently he gave everything in Well's favour. To then go off in a huff was embarrassing. That said Kearney may well relegate us with his caution, surely either Jackson or Lyons, or indeed both needed to come off, and the Duck be joined by Cooke.

Hamilton wont sit off they way we do, then will seek to end it next Monday, all they need to do is not get beat. If they score first they will frustrate us to the point where we get a sending off and concede a penalty.

two up front from the off, i would start with the Duck & Cooke and give their defence a feckin awful night.

16 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Apologies folks but I have to rant

1-1 against Motherwell is a good result which keeps us in it but it wasn't the best we could do and I think the playoffs are now our fate.

Was it just me or did anyone else think "stop fannying about. Get the ball out the net and stop wasting time" when we equalised. Jackson took about 3 weeks to get back in to our half after the goal and looked like he was timewasting. Feck get moving and go for a winner.

Sorry if I seem out of order but the goal celebrations were OTT when the point was irrelevant and only a win would have made a difference.

I appreciate another goal was never guaranteed but go for it guys don't accept anything other than a desperately needed victory.

The sight of players wasting time on celebrations and taking ages to cross our half way line made me question their commitment.

I hate to criticise the team but for the first time this season I wonder if they have the fight to stay up.

Thousands of us stay till the bitter end every week. Why did the team chuck it after the equalizer.

Sorry for the rant. Not a happy bud.

Buddie i admire your commitment travelling from North Berwick to saints games but i can see its beginning to take its toll on you.. your taking the piss here aren't you, i dont remember there goalie making a save all day and your looking for another few goals in the last 20 seconds.... HOLD IT YOU ARE taking the piss  :rolleyes:  you wee rascal....  hands up you got me there buddie hook line and sinker its a wind up. wit am a like  :1eye  

2 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Sure Danny has been the hero since he's come back but he also needs to realise its a team game, and the manager needs to manage, there's 2 more big games to come. and now's not the time to start taking the huff when momentum is on our side,  am sure Oran was looking ahead to those games when he took him off... hopefully he'll prove the manager was right come the Hamilton and Dundee games,  spitting the dummy out only puts more pressure on yourself to come up with the goods Danny

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Lyons probably should have been substituted, but it was a striker for striker change that was made and not a midfield change.

I'd have had Hodson on for Lyons at HT.

Hodson will give his all I'm sure he will want to prove he wants a deal. Hope he gets it next week in midfield. 

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Hodson will give his all I'm sure he will want to prove he wants a deal. Hope he gets it next week in midfield. 

Yeah, I’d have Hodson in ahead of Lyons and let him and McGinn sit...let a front four go and attack. Probably Magennis, McAllister, Mullen and the Duck for me.

7 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Can Hamilton win 3 games in a row or win 2 from 3? That would be a first for the season probably. I wouldn't give up just yet. 

18 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
19 hours ago, gstretchuk said:
Lyon's again worst man in a Saint's jersey..offers absolutely nothing to the team as does Mginn as well... really struggle in middle of park due to these two playing together week in week out....

Still pumping your daughter then I take it. Change the record mate it's pathetic.

My daughter is 12 so what are you saying about one of our players?