Top 6 Game 1, Hibs v St Mirren 6/5/23

We're the only Scottish club to beat Celtic this season. We held Rangers to a draw...we can play well. We were the better side in the second half. 

Given Hibs' gate was over twice the capacity of our stadium, it's not hard to see why we're at a disadvantage financially. We are punching above our weight. Let's not be too critical, and instead be realistic about our prospects. As a club we need to grow, it's a long term plan we need. 

7 hours ago, W6er said:

We're the only Scottish club to beat Celtic this season. We held Rangers to a draw...we can play well. We were the better side in the second half. 

Given Hibs' gate was over twice the capacity of our stadium, it's not hard to see why we're at a disadvantage financially. We are punching above our weight. Let's not be too critical, and instead be realistic about our prospects. As a club we need to grow, it's a long term plan we need. 

Indeed.

The talk of europe this season was, for most, more than unlikely. 

GETTING top six has been our aim for years, achieved it this season and if thats where we finish the seasons been a success. 

The difficult bit is sustaining this.

Investment, clearly, is required, but within our budget.

I get the two previous posts that are more willing to give the team a pat on the back, rather than criticise. I recognise that top 6 is an achievement and they deserve credit. 

It doesn’t mean that we’re wrong to want more from them. We’re in the position we are because of the ability they’ve shown as a team over the season. We should have been bounding into then final 5 matches after 3 points in a Killie match, but we froze. Same again yesterday for the first 45. While I recognise the bigger budgets of teams like Hibs, we’ve proven that we can compete currently so it’s a disappointment when we let ourselves down on the day. 

I live in hope for a win at home next week 🙏🏻 

9 minutes ago, Maboza said:

I get the two previous posts that are more willing to give the team a pat on the back, rather than criticise. I recognise that top 6 is an achievement and they deserve credit. 

It doesn’t mean that we’re wrong to want more from them. We’re in the position we are because of the ability they’ve shown as a team over the season. We should have been bounding into then final 5 matches after 3 points in a Killie match, but we froze. Same again yesterday for the first 45. While I recognise the bigger budgets of teams like Hibs, we’ve proven that we can compete currently so it’s a disappointment when we let ourselves down on the day. 

100% mate, no point sitting back and being totally satisfied with GETTING to top 6.

The season is over 38 games, there's been plenty of highs and lows.

Unfortunately, the Killie game was a real low, but there have been others, at a critical time of the season.

I'm not really for isolation a few games to summarise our season, both in a positive or negative, selective stats are for desperados, it's a long haul and when it's all over we can take stock and hope the manager gets the funds and we pick up the improvements we need. 

I still think what we have done with such a small budget and squad is amazing and SR got us there..tactically and  with the required desire.

Of course we want to push on but ot has taken over 30 years to achieve this.

The team doesnt need an overhaul.

It needs tweaking and a good rest.  Some guys have been at it every week..no or little squad rotation..

Biggest success outwith of T6 is tieing SR down for a few seasons...then and only then will we see consistency..

4 free hits left

48 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Agreed and credit is due.

I think though that rather than looking at budget there is also a mindset issue.  If we get into this position again we’ll handle it better and should even after this game be.

Better and bigger teams can handle these occasions and so should we if they become a regular feature. 

I may be getting my stats wrong but did someone not say sport is 99% psychology?

9 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
15 hours ago, Warrior Saint said:
Has a worse team ever made top 6? Can't be far off it....Tanser and Dunne are absolutely honking...Fraser a liability...European fitbaemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

As you seem to know everything then surprised you needed to ask.

Put him on ignore mate..he is a sevco troll...leaves his hole in the ground to pay homage elsewhere... 

10 hours ago, W6er said:

I wonder what it would have been like if Ayunga had not been injured? 

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

I still think what we have done with such a small budget and squad is amazing and SR got us there..tactically and  with the required desire.

Of course we want to push on but ot has taken over 30 years to achieve this.

The team doesnt need an overhaul.

It needs tweaking and a good rest.  Some guys have been at it every week..no or little squad rotation..

Biggest success outwith of T6 is tieing SR down for a few seasons...then and only then will we see consistency..

4 free hits left

No overhaul required?

Our most effective player is leaving,.  Yesterday proved we have only one premoership standard keeper.  A new contract has been offered to  defender the manager won't pick, counting him we have a total of 2 effective and competent central defenders when frequently ine up with 3 across the back. WE have a grand total of 2 central midfileders who are worthy of the description and our final ball is our biggest failing.

I'd say that we won't be fielding a competitive side next season without 5 first-pick signings.  That is to be expected in this league and you cant strengthen a side that has stalled with a tweak, the same number of games coming up with the same teams, mostly and no 3 week break as we had this season.

The context I view this in is, we only just made top 6, how well could we have expected to do with a burnt-out side in the bottom 6 that was comprehensively taken down by Killie?

Edited by beyond our ken

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

No overhaul required?

Our most effective player is leaving,.  Yesterday proved we have only one premoership standard keeper.  A new contract has been offered to  defender the manager won't pick, counting him we have a total of 2 effective and competent central defenders when frequently ine up with 3 across the back. WE have a grand total of 2 central midfileders who are worthy of the description and our final ball is our biggest failing.

I'd say that we won't be fielding a competitive side next season without 5 first-pick signings.  That is to be expected in this league and you cant strengthen a side that has stalled with a tweak, the same number of games coming up with the same teams, mostly and no 3 week break as we had this season.

The context I view this in is, we only just made top 6, how well could we have expected to do with a burnt-out side in the bottom 6 that was comprehensively taken down by Killie?

Would you rather swap places with the mighty Killie?

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

:lol:

You have to laugh at some of our support, nothing is ever good enough. 

Edited by faraway saint

50 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

:lol:

You have to laugh at some of our support, nothing is ever good enough. 

Absolutely.

We are only 3 points behind a Hibs that have a turnover more than twice our income with a massive gulf in playing budget.

IMG_1695.thumb.jpeg.6477ff294ab07bda13f3574e8c77c119.jpeg

Dundee United have much larger outgoings. 

IMG_1698.thumb.jpeg.740d2a6bb0074f2dbe90dd58f5b6d221.jpeg

We are in a good situation all things considered. 

The owners of Dundee United would gladly swap our situation as another relegation for them would be very damaging. 

Edited by Albanian Buddy

18 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Absolutely.

We are only 3 points behind a Hibs that have a turnover more than twice our income with a massive gulf in playing budget.

IMG_1695.thumb.jpeg.6477ff294ab07bda13f3574e8c77c119.jpeg

Dundee United have much larger outgoings. 

IMG_1698.thumb.jpeg.740d2a6bb0074f2dbe90dd58f5b6d221.jpeg

We are in a good situation all things considered. 

The owners of Dundee United would gladly swap our situation as another relegation for them would be very damaging. 

Let's not get too full of ourselves. After all. We made top six mainly due to a total collapse of a team that appeared to be a shoe in for that berth 11 games ago. Livi went on a run of 2 in 10 to allow us to drift in. In that time we lost our home fortress claim and were beaten by a few "bottom six" teams. At best we were about the same quality as those clubs who failed to make it. It was a lottery.  We did have that very important win v Hearts so there is that. Until we manage to find a goal scorer we will always be in with a chance of a relegation battle.

I'll take this mediocre, meaningless finale any day though.

8 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Let's not get too full of ourselves. After all. We made top six mainly due to a total collapse of a team that appeared to be a shoe in for that berth 11 games ago. Livi went on a run of 2 in 10 to allow us to drift in. In that time we lost our home fortress claim and were beaten by a few "bottom six" teams. At best we were about the same quality as those clubs who failed to make it. It was a lottery.  We did have that very important win v Hearts so there is that. Until we manage to find a goal scorer we will always be in with a chance of a relegation battle.

As I said, we have sone warmers in our support.

21 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Wasn't Fraser's fault Dunn is a absolute clown 

Fraser let the ball bounce away from him so i would say he was more to blame than Dunn.

Don't think it would have made any different to the game anyway.

Excellent support from the fans who didn't stop singing during the whole game. 

Think fact that we finally made top six is a major step forward for us. However, having got there we don’t then want to fail miserably and performances like Killie and first half yesterday are not good enough - guys will know that themselves and hopefully there is a reaction next week 🤞

40 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Where was I getting “full of ourselves”?

I believe we are punching above our financial means. 

It’s undeniable that teams with far superior budgets are above us in the league table. 

You could point to any wins in our season as “important”. Three points is exactly that. 

A more crucial late victory in the season was 3-0 against Livingston who really do regularly punch above their financial means.

Achieving top 6 is a significant financial boost for our club given the last set of accounts. 

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

For the love of god.

Our best position EVER in this league format and THIS type of post.

I despair. 

Your selective quote deliberately misinterprets the point I was making.

There is little or nothing separating the clubs below the ugly sisters.

If we do not anticipate (in a positive way) the battle for survival next season, we are unlikely to improve on this season's performances.

The fact we finished 6th at the split this season, does not guarantee a similar finish next season.

We have under-performed for decades for a club from the biggest town in Scotland.

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

Your selective quote deliberately misinterprets the point I was making.

There is little or nothing separating the clubs below the ugly sisters.

If we do not anticipate (in a positive way) the battle for survival next season, we are unlikely to improve on this season's performances.

The fact we finished 6th at the split this season, does not guarantee a similar finish next season.

We have under-performed for decades for a club from the biggest town in Scotland.

That last paragraph is absolutely spot on in my opinion.

5 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

No overhaul required?

Its a nice sunny day...get your knickers out on the clothes line...are you sure your brave enough to watch football ?

The doomsayers on here would do well to remember the words of Aristotle.

"One swallow does not make a summer, neither does one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy."

Comprehensively taken down by Killie?  FFS.

8 hours ago, Hunterian said:

Would you rather swap places with the mighty Killie?

No and i am glad we don't have to play them again this season.  The fact is the team that got us this far have stalled and some of the better players will be leaving, so a fair bit more than a tweak is required.

I still take us to get something from Hearts next week as there has been little between us this season

Edited by beyond our ken

6 hours ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

I have no idea if St. Lucifer is a "warmer", as you put it, but they do say it takes one to know one...

I don't see his rambling nonsense unless quoted but I think he needs to look back at some of the sh!te I've seen attributed to him to see what a walloper he really is.

The doomsayers on here would do well to remember the words of Aristotle.
"One swallow does not make a summer, neither does one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy."
Comprehensively taken down by Killie?  FFS.

Many of us can’t see us finishing higher than sixth now.

Delighted with top six obviously, just a wee shame last couple of games as we had a great opportunity to perhaps finish higher